How I start seeds

Over the years I’ve discovered several examples of what seems to ME, and I stress ME, over-complications in various things. For example, I love to cook. I’ve come across countless recipes which are needlessly complicated, and I have no idea why. My original caramel recipe called for adding 2 cans of evaporated milk over a period of 20-30mins, else you’d ruin your caramels. I’ve made this at least 2doz times, and I put everything in the pot at once, and bring it to the right temps, and it’s fine, every time.

When it comes to starting seeds, until recently mostly vegetable seeds, over the past few years I’ve tried different approaches and mediums. This is how I’ve started my beans for the past 2yrs. I’m not trying to start a war here :wink: but this is what works best for me.

First, let me say I’m cheap. We are both retired, and we can pay our bills, BUT, we ARE on a fixed income now, so when it comes to hobbies, we like to find the easiest and least expensive EFFECTIVE way to do things.

I use the paper towel method…and here’s my “setup”.

What you’re looking at is a 9X13" baking pan, with a piece of tupperware, covered by my “seed key” so I know the names of each of the strains. It’s placed on top of a floor lamp which has an LED bulb in it, so barely any head at all, just enough to keep the pan warm. Pan fits perfectly on top of the shade. It’s not totally dark, but putting the pad of paper on top blocks most direct light, and the beans are sandwiched between two wet paper towels. My DW is not totally fond of this arrangement, but she humors me, knowing it’s for a short time.

That pick is from the end of this popping session this morning.
As a side note, pretty much everything I started popped, with the exception of some Box of Chocolate beans, which I’ve had trouble with. I did 6 on my first run a few weeks ago, only 1 popped. I let the other 5 go for another 48hrs, then gave them a pinch…they were “empty”. I had 7 left, so put them all in this run. Yesterday, everything else was basically done, except for a few Rocky Mountains. I checked them at about 4pm yesterday, the Box of Chocolates still had nothing showing.

This morning, 3 of the Chocolates had popped, and had sprung big tap roots in roughly 14hrs. Here’s a shot, sorry there’s nothing for scale, but that root is about an inch long.

So that’s basically it. I don’t soak, I don’t float, I don’t use H2O2, as I’ve seen many on here do. Not saying it’s wrong…just saying I’ve had what I feel is great success going this route. Other than the Box of Chocolates, I think I’ve only had 2 seeds out of about 45 that didn’t pop…so I don’t think I’ll be changing much, given those numbers.

After they pop, it’s in to the solo cups filled with seed starting mix. I was going to make my own, but time and convenience led me to buy the Jiffy starting mix. I poke a hole in the bottom of the cups because I like to bottom-water plants, letting them wick the water up into the medium. I think that’s less destructive, especially for seedlings that are SO delicate and easy to damage. I label each cup with a permanent marker to keep the strains identified.

I’m so cheap, I even reuse the Solo cups!..just scratch out the old label and write the new one, as long as there’s still room.

Have a Great Grow,

Lob

20 Likes

I use egg cartons

6 Likes

I have had many successful runs using a paper towel to get the seeds to germinate, now for all intensive purposes. The seed releases enzymes that prepare the soil around it for germinating, and also help with dampening off.
Sowing directly into soil, and using overwinteing technique is a very old and tried method. And works with much more efficiency than a transfer from the paper towel for old or stubborn seed stock.
Ive lost many a good seed to the paper towel method

7 Likes

I reuse yogurt cups

5 Likes

Ok ok… I’ve been pretty active on here outta no where. Just seeing the value in a community like this, and this community rocks.

I had to share my method, I have only seen it done by one guy on Instagram from some third world country - and it works awesome.

Basically you need some clean sponges and a container that fits them nice. (I like to colour code mine for labeling reasons). Once everything is sanitary fill the container with about a quarter water and place your seeds between your sponges./. Easy as that.

Lift your sponges to check on growth. But sponges with as little holes as possible because you will find if you’re not attentive (even when you are attentive) that some of the tap roots will find their way into the sponge and must be gently coaxed out. (I’ve snapped taps and they generally bounce back)

The sponges hold the perfect moisture and the seeds sit between the sponges, keeping the reservoir about a quarter full and placing a cloth over the top helps keep the seeds at the perfect moisture. I’ve tried all the methods under the sun for popping beans. But been really happy with the ease and consistency of this system. EDIT: with holes which are as small as possible *^

16 Likes

Every method will have it’s issues, of course.
I have a friend that just can’t believe I do paper towels.

The biggest risk, of course, is the transfer to a medium. I use a long set of tweezers, and am VERY careful not to apply too much pressure when moving the seed. I’ve read that you should make sure the tap root is pointing down into the soil, and I think this can cause more issues than it’s probably worth. I do NOT try to orient the seed in the soil. However it lands, that’s it. I gently move some soil over it and off it goes. Yes, it may take an extra day, but I don’t care.

Out of my last transfer, 100% of the seeds sprouted, and like I said before, I’m good with that.
I MAY, at some point, try direct to soil, but my last attempt is one of the reasons I went to paper towels. I was trying to start heirloom tomato seeds directly in seed starting mix. I was getting about 30-40% success. I went to paper towels for the tomatoes, and that jumped to 90%.

Lob

5 Likes

Whatever works for you is the best method lately I’ve been using worm casings and just letting the seeds sit on top and keeping in the dark moist , warm spot
Heat mat, plastic tray , dome worm castings and a spray bottle is all you need
I think Johnnypotseed posted this technique

Works great No soak no paper towel and fast also

12 Likes

Ok…glad you brought that up.
I’m going to be starting some autos in about 2wks, and I have quite a few seeds so I can experiment a bit. I have a bag of castings which I usually mix into my homemade potting mix, but I’m going to give this a shot, because it’s direct-to-soil.

How thick are the castings?

Lob

5 Likes

here I put the seeds for 12 hours in a glass with filtered water, then I send them to paper towels and put them in a dark pot with a lid and leave them in a drawer. in max 48hrs all have already released the radicula

4 Likes

When you do try the worm casing method

I filled seed starter tray With worm castings
Spray till wet let it sit for 10 minutes spray again

You don’t want it soaking wet but moist

Place seeds on top of worm castings place in a dark warm place
A spray bottle is the best way to
Keep damp

1/2 thick at most
If you use solo cups : fill with soil top off with worm castings and your good to go

3 Likes

That’s what I do. Fill a Solo cup with “soil” (I use ProMix with additional perlite) give it a good watering, then drop a seed and cover with 1/4" of dirt. I place the cups in a humidity dome. T5 light above, heat mat below.

Doing a layer of worm castings on top of the Solo cup soil would be a fun experiment.

8 Likes

100%! straight into soil is easiest - one key thing to mention is being careful about reusing soil or just be certain your medium is clean because a funky soil can diminish germ rates - even if it had been working great with mature plants. I’ve lost way too many seeds because I was rushed into my soil selection. (Last time I physically baked my soil in the oven… called it dirt after that - was almost 100% germ on several trays.)

4 Likes

Fresh mix IS one of the things I’m willing to invest in. My wife and I disagree vehemently about reusing soil. I’m right, of course.
I have never had trouble re-using potting mix, BUT…I do mix in fresh compost, and take special care with making sure I feed the plants.

But for seedlings?..always fresh/new mix.

Lob

5 Likes

I try to be as hands off as possible. I stick the seeds pointy end up in root riot cubes in a prop tray on a heat mat.

2 Likes

Since I haven’t heard anyone mention it, if you have some old DVD cases and some bumwad, you might try giving vertical germination a shot.

Put about 6x sheets of Charmin, or equally soft, TP in a case.

Soak seeds for for no more than 24 hours in clean water, and put them on the TP. Pointy end down. Soak the TP.

Put 6x more sheets over them, and close up the case.

Put the bottom of the case in sandwich bag with a bit of water, and stand it vertically.

Don’t let it dry out, the TP will wick enough to keep things damp.

Works best on a heated surface that gets some light.

Wait 2-3 days.

After trying about every other way, I do it like this for several reasons.

Putting them straight into dirt, I could never tell if they were germinated until they came up… this way it’s pretty obvious.

I used to use paper towels, but the tap roots would grow into it, and could be hard to get out intact. I use soft TP because when it’s wet, it’s easy to tear away from the root with zero damage.

Germinating on a horizontal surface, the taps would curl around, and be harder to get into a pot with the cotyledons aimed where they need to go, up.

Pointy end down, cos that’s where the tap comes out.

This way the roots are straight, and easy to get in a hole.

The helmet and membrane almost always comes off. And if they don’t, they are usually moist enough to remove easily, without damage.

I think heat helps the seeds feel all comfy about sprouting, and the light is what they would grow toward in a natural situation.

Just another way :slight_smile:

11 Likes

What a great idea!
I wonder what would happen if you planted them WITH a bit of TP still surrounding the root…it’s so soft, I’d think that the root(s) would never know it was there.

Now…wtf did I do with all of those DVD cases???###?$??@
Actually, what we did was DW decided to rip all of our music onto /PCs. For 2-3mos, everytime someone came to our house, we’d give them a small bag with a dozen DVDs in it and tell them that THEY had to deal with them. If they liked them?..great, keep them. If not, pull the same trick on someone else :wink:

I’ll bet I can find a couple up in the attic tho…

Lob

2 Likes

I throw seeds in my pot, water a bit, do a dance and walk away.

Nature takes care.

7 Likes

Ahhh…but what KIND of dance???..you’re leaving out some KEY info here, Rogue.

:slight_smile:
Lob

4 Likes

Always a different one!

4 Likes

Lately I have been germinating my seeds right in the soil
No paper towel no soaking in water zero
I soak my coco plant the seed in the hole and in about 3-4 days pop
I have had about 95% success this way
I think I will stick to this method for a while.
Happy growing everyone :call_me_hand:

4 Likes