How much when to put chlorine in the reservoir?

I wonder how much of pool shock can I add to the reservoir?
I read that poolshock has 68% of active chlorine but contains 99% calcium hypochlorite. For calculating the chlorine amount in the solution (ppm) will I use 68% or 99%? I guess 68%.

How does too much chlorine look?

Will chlorine accumulate somewhere, maybe in the medium (e.g. rockwool) or will it dissipate?

And when can I readd chlorine without overdoing it?

4 Likes

Don’t add dry pool shock to your reservoir, make a stock solution first. It is too strong to dose dry powder unless you’re extremely precise or have a massive operation.

Liquid bleach is easier and a gallon of plain liquid bleach will last you years and years.

Chlorine becomes a gas readily and dissipates rapidly, usually within a few days. That’s why it smells so strongly. It does not accumulate.

4 Likes

Yup, stock solution…hoping someone can chime in let me know if this is too weak…

2 Likes

Have never used pool shock but… 0.25 ml/gal of non scented household bleach has worked for me. Add to res daily or every other day as it gases off quickly. 0.25ml/gal will get you in the 50-60 ppm range.

Up to 1.25 ml/gal also works well as a sterilizing agent for a quick clone soak before sticking. Rinse well.

3 Likes

My understanding is that 1 gram of pool shock, added to 1 gallon of water is essentially a gallon of Clear-Res. I add 3ml every 3 days to my cloner when it’s running.

3 Likes

somewhere I read to sterilize you need 3 to 4 ppm. And if you do over 5 ppm you will harm the plants???