My stinky reservoir

Hi guys,

34 days ago I moved 5 of my clones from a small flower reservoir to a bigger one. I cleaned everything throughly and mixed advanced nutrients as described. The roots on the plants looked healthy white before the transplant.

Now the water have a nasty odor, and the roots have become somewh brownish with some slime building up.

My new water is tap water, around 6,5 ph (advanced nutrition have the ph perfect tech)

I’m wondering if this happens either because of wrong nutes strength, water temp ((20-21C) or a weak air-pump?

I have measured the PPM to1200, and ph around 6

Before transplant:

7 Likes

You have a problem that you need to attend now. Some products cause roots to become brown but they stay healthy. You should NEVER have a bad smell. You must add something. There are several products sold for this if you have a grow store near. If not, add hydrogen peroxide. you can use the 3% from the drug store. You add it to the rez not directly to the roots.

5 Likes

@Viva_Mexico Thanks mate!

I had that in mind. Will purchase some today. I had 10% earlier but had just a few drops left which I added.

Will the hydrogen peroxide fuck with my nutes/ PH /EC which I should be aware of?

3 Likes

No.

you can use 10% -35% but you must dilute it first. I use 35% that I dilute with 10 parts water to make a 3.5% solution. I use 5ml per gal of 3.5% for my base. for your condition I would use at least 20ml per gallon.

4 Likes

@Viva_Mexico Thanks a lot , the mixing part was my next question. You beat me to it :slight_smile:

1 Like

you must also address the “why” this happened to prevent it in the future.

• I can’t help with that nute line as I have not used it. maybe someone else can. some products are not meant for hydro or dwc. 20-21 C is not bad, could be better. A weak air pump won’t help. add a airstone or another pump. If you have a source of cold air -a.c or cold outside put the pump infront of the a.c or outside if possible as to pump cold or cool air into the rez.
1 Like

@Viva_Mexico Thanks, will do some research :slight_smile:

1 Like

Pool shock works well and likely the cheapest option.

4 Likes

My money would be on there not being sufficient air as water temp is not too bad. If you have some sort phytophthora infection, it’s a hard one to come back from, though if you have been hygienic that seems unlikely so quickly.

Beneficial bacteria seem to help a lot, so great white and the like. Or as mentioned above hypochlorite or peroxide. Because I have a reticulated DWC I have been thinking about putting an inline 15w UV steriliser in the loop, this as well as peroxide is very effective as the UV breaks down the peroxide into hydroxly radicals which are strong oxidisers and very effective at sterilizing the solution.

3 Likes