How to make your own Bio-charlie biochar kiln

The sockets are upside down. That is the screw in part protrudes out of the bottom and the prongs are in the cups.
I didn’t want heat to get trapped in the cups.
I used a quality 5 min epoxy formulated for metal bonding to secure them.
Once I get a camera I’ll post some pics, my tablet sucks for picture taking.

Apologies for hijacking this thread, I tend to ramble.

Come to think of it I tried that too but with a manual meat grinder. Built a stand, hopper and dust shield for it.
At the time I wasn’t growing and wanted it for my vegetable garden but the volume I needed meant hours of grinding that I couldn’t afford. Plus I remember larger pieces kept getting stuck so I needed a stick to keep prodding it along.
Thanks for the reminder! Damn I’m getting old.

Yeah @spaceman! What’s up with that green algae that forms on top of the soil. Some pots have it, some don’t. Can you give any insight? :cowboy_hat_face:

Light plus nutrients, pure and simple.
I usually see it in all my pots if I see it in one.
The process of crushing the char makes powder or you can just rub a piece against a metal sieve and collect the powder. I dust the soil lightly until it all turns black after the seeds pop through the soil It’s easier to control before it gets a start.

2 Likes

Hey @Tinytuttle just managed to drag out my old charcoal grinder.
Spend an hour with her a day and you’ll have a pair of very healthy arms.
The hopper or shield is a necessity for keeping down the dust, I had plenty of N95’s on hand when covid hit too.

Propped open

What goes in

What comes out

2 Likes

Lol looking good ! Is that an old corona Grain mil? Used something very similar when I first started home brewing used it to crack the barely for beer brewing !

1 Like

Sure is, think I got at a giant flea market some years back.
The ball mill is definitely easier on everything 'cept the ears.

So are you still making your own char?

Every year except last I make about 30 gals over winter.
I use only chips now or bark for char and just layer it in my compost for a year.
Now that I can use my grinder again I’ll be making some for indoor.

1 Like

Not a lot , just here and there it’s pretty much whatever is pulled out of the fire pit from time to time last fall I did support a local maker here in CO and bought a small 2 CF bag of commercial stuff from the grow shop, I feel it has done really well for me though it will take some time to get through it though!

1 Like