BUILD A SOIL Build A Soil feedback thread

Title says it all. Please share experiences and thoughts on these guys. I trust OG. BAS is here to profit. OG is here to OG the :earth_africa:

The way they teach/market on YouTube is a thing. Grow shops have been horrible for over 3 decades of my life. Condescending, overpriced and wrong. Are they different?

Im a BAS customer. Craft Blend and Gnarly Barley are my personal faves. Have 1 plant in a .5 cf bag of BAS 3.0 growing great. Expensive as hell. I can get 4 cf of Happy Frog for the same price. It seems meatier than other bags. That .5 cf almost filled a City Picker and the HF needs 1.5cf. Havenā€™t done a true side by side with any other products but the marketing is strong and plants are happy.

Thanks.

Peace.

19 Likes

I looked into it briefly and couldnā€™t get past the cost/volume required, especially since you need to provide your own base materials.

And hydro stores are the worst.

13 Likes

I find that Jeremy dude to give a lot of awful advice. And the prices on their products are pretty outrageous. Ive been using Pride Lands since it hit the market, and its almost identical to the craft blend, but has biochar and a couple other cool inputs. Ive even had a few friends switch over from BAS to GreenGro products and the results were night and day.

Im south bay as well, and the local hydro shop sells 5 lb bags of PL for under 35 OTD. Vs BAS, which is lookin like 25 for 3 lbs. I dont mind paying a premium for a really nice mix I dont have to add a buncha stuff to, but theres no way to justify the premium they charge.

9 Likes

I can toss a brand new growers opinion in the hat for what itā€™s worth with my experience (none, my first grow) noted.

I went to a local grow shop with what was originally a bag seed that I had put in Coco with some vermiculite that was already around (mushrooms) and at field capacity. Anywho ā€” the grow shop steered me to a bag of BuildASoil Light. It seemed to do well. Although I take any video and information with a grain of salt and try to do my homework, it seems like they were doing a lot of marketing but also cared about their product.

I donā€™t think you can really count it as a side by side grow ā€” as theyā€™re all from different seeds ā€” but I am using mixes of BaS Light and 3.0 alongside some Mother Earth Groundswell here ( Coffweed Attempts x4 GDP, 2 KSS, 1 Frankenstein, and 3 DoMeFast Autos in a 4x4 - #164 by Coffweed ).

I also have several of their amendments.

As Iā€™m super new, Iā€™m not yet loyal to anything really. Still trying to take in information and learn whatā€™s best. Iā€™m sure there are a lot of different opinions on things, certainly including this topic. I certainly donā€™t have the answer ā€” but I also wonder if there really is one answer?

Anywho, staying tuned for others thoughts and opinions. Donā€™t know if this added value to the pile but so far Iā€™m happy with BaS, even at a bit higher price point. It also seems to be re-usable to a point. Anywho, learning!

:popcorn:

5 Likes

I bought some oyster shell flour from them recently but it was because I had trouble finding some from Down to Earth.

2 Likes

Itā€™s pricey, but they are a solid source for high quality soil blends / amendments and soil building in general. Iā€™ve really liked using their BAS 3.0 and Build-a-Flower top dress. I recommend recycling and amending their potting soil blends. Iā€™m on a third cycle of the same 3.0 and my plants are happy as can be. Iā€™ve got a 4x4 and two 2x4s so a little soil goes a long way for me, Iā€™m sure there are cheaper approaches to living soil if youā€™re running a large garden.

9 Likes

I like their soil building stuff.

Iā€™m on my 5th or 6th run on two earthboxes. I use some compost, BAS craft blend, and coast of maine fish bone meal to reamend them. Plus some rice hulls, pumice, or peat as needed. I probably should add castings too, but I havenā€™t been to the grow store in a while. I feel like I need to add more calcium, especially in a top dress for some plants. I donā€™t use the BAS flower products, so maybe if I used the whole line, I wouldnā€™t need to.

My reamend costs around $3.50- $4.50 per cubic foot.
I also grow in 7-gallon pots with the same amendments. Iā€™m on my 3rd run with those, so weā€™ll see how it goes.

I tried the Yah-whey Kefir/LAB bottle. Iā€™ll buy it again as one bottle lasts me a grow season, but I could always make it for basically free by doing a search here on OG.

7 Likes

If I were into this, which Iā€™m not really, Iā€™d buy all the base materials in bulk individually and build it myself and then have soil for life.

Many recipes available for DIY

12 Likes

Pretty much this. I suppose there is a convenience factor and a one stop shop.

From early conversations, it sounds as though their some of their customer support advice is a bit, uhhh, unusual.

3 Likes

I was a fan since itā€™s local to me even though itā€™s overpriced. But Jeremy is getting too greedy for me. I say screw him.

I use it as itā€™s the best thing available at my local shop but to each their own. I donā€™t use half the crap they sell though.

1 Like

So Iā€™m pretty new to growing myself, but I used the BAS light mix for my first 3 attempts at sprouting beans, nothing survived. Switched to Blackgold seedling for my current (4th attempt) and everything is much happier with it. No amendments or nuts for either, same light cycle, same distilled water. I found even the light mix (supposedly for seedling) has huge perlite chunks and can make it hard for babies to get a foothold. Also the water retention for the light mix is abysmal, nearly nonexistent.

1 Like

Iā€™ve had BAS in my folder for many years now. Iā€™ve asked them a few questions over the years, and yes, I do think many if their items are way marked up. I do however buy a few things. I go the health food store to get grains for pennies on the dollar compared to BAS. bit Iā€™m not going to bash them, as we either pay their price or move on.
I guess, Iā€™m the odd animal, as I love my grow shop! I once had a 2-3 hour drive, down to one of the hoods in Baltimore.
Now it is a sweet 30 minute drive through awesome countryside, that my crappy scooter loves to run!
The kid, thinks Iā€™m raving nutter, but he treats me very well.

13 Likes

Thats what im talmbout.

Thanks for sharing.

Peace

Their 3.0 is probably the most complete widely available soil ive seen, but for the most part its a money pit selling byproducts they pay next to nothing for. Thatā€™s not a knock; there are a lot worse ways people make a dollar. He puts out some good information on youtube and im happy for his success.

What little advice i can give is to use his products when starting out, but in your second or 3rd grow get a couple 3 gallon pots, a bale of promix and some some type of compost, chuck some dry amendments into it a pop a couple freebie seeds you dont care about. It doesn take much to keep these plants happy in veg, and if you dont experiment yourself youā€™ll really never understand how shit works

6 Likes

I will also add that heā€™s probably not making near as much as people think, a substantial part of that premium price is involved in packaging and distribution. Bags of soil are heavy and take up lots of space in trailers.

6 Likes

The thing I appreciate most about BAS is how they educate people on creating there own nutrients at home. A lot of people wanna gripe on the pricing of some of there products, but if you watch enough of Jeremyā€™s YouTube content youā€™ll see that he teaches you how to do all this stuff on your own.

Iā€™ll forever be grateful to Jeremy for teaching the living organic way, donā€™t really need to buy many nutes at all anymoreā€¦but I still grab there coconut powder, EM-5 and a few other products from time to time :slight_smile:

13 Likes

I like their Insect Frass and Colorado Worm Company worm castings. The worm castings are so fresh, my bag had a few live worms it in it. Iā€™m pretty happy with Promix, Michigan Made Mix, and Gaia Green, so I donā€™t overspend with them.

4 Likes

Ive never purchased from themā€¦but a buddy gave me a small tub of dried and crushed seaweed and hops and i now use that bucket to mix my gaia green brand basalt dust and glacial dust with mycorhizal powder and ground cornmeal and beta flakes and crushed oyster and eggshell.

TLDR: spent no money, use the hell out of ā€œtheirā€ bucket.

5 Likes

Transportation is a ā€˜killerā€™ in that business.
Finding a good ā€˜localā€™ source is paramountā€¦ my local source is 1.5 hrs awayā€¦:wink: but good shops are few and far between.

Cheers
G

5 Likes