What loupe, or USB Camera, does everyone use to check thier trichomes?

I’m about 3.5 weeks into my first flowers in the last 20 years, and went to buy a loupe and it’s just way too many to choose from, so I’m hoping some of.yiu can point me towards a quality device, that isnt cheap, but at the same time, not going to break my bank, which at this point in time, isnt much.

5 Likes

I bought some cheap handheld loupe w a light off of Amazon for like $16 and it was 2 of the exact same loupes. Does the trick well enough for me.

5 Likes

@newb2.0 yeah there are like dozens of them on there, it’s hardto choose one that will last, but I guess at that price if it lasts for a year, that’s probly enough. Have u ever tried the usb camera’s?

2 Likes

Amazon Chinese digital microscope 1000x magnification $30, they work great. Use for lots of things not just growing. Don’t use it to look in your ear, mouth or nose you will scare yourself :joy:

11 Likes

Any tips to not have to take 1000 pics to get one clear one? I bought a microscope ages ago but went back to my cheap amazon clip on cell phone macro lens because of the movement blur from my shaky hands.

4 Likes

Some sell a small stand with them, but any shake on a high mag is going to cause problems when taking pics unfortunately.

4 Likes

No experience w the cameras myself. But shaking w a standard loupe is the same as with a camera. Need to keep your hand and the plant as still as possible to get a good look.

4 Likes

I have one with that stand and normally sacrifice one bud to check them steady, focused and with more scientifical approach … :sunglasses:

13 Likes

I got this one from Amazon.

It does the job i gotta play with it some more a few members on here gave me some tips and it has helped me use it better.

Just a example, this was pretty much the first day trying it and my camera is horrible, in person looking through it, it is actually not to bad.

5 Likes

Wow that’s better quality than my normal pics lol @George

4 Likes

I bought a loupe off amazon for about 15 bucks. I mean you can spend more but if it is just to strictly see trichrome development I dont see the point. The one I got off amazon is a 30x and 60x lense

2 Likes

I picked up this microscope for $42 USD: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07DVFBVPF

I struggle to take clear pics handheld in the tent, but if you can view a sample with the scope on its stand it does alright.

Edit to add: Download their app to your phone. When you turn on the microscope it creates a wireless network. Join your phone to that network, open the app, and you’re looking live on your phone at what the microscope sees. You can click a button on the scope or on your phone to snap a pic. It’s pretty simple! The scope is battery powered and recharges with a standard microUSB cable.

7 Likes

I think I’m gonna try the usb camera, I have an extra indicator mag base. I can mount it to inside the tent, and just turn the fans off long enough for a few pics. Really nice picks from everyone, thanks.

5 Likes

i agree with you - gotten tired of fixes that require another dang APP on my fone to work…

4 Likes

I want to get a digital scope, but right now I just use a 60x loupe, it came with a led, and uv light. I think it was tops 15 usd on amazon.

4 Likes

I found this works great for me. Got the tripod at the thrift store for $7.

10 Likes

I have something similar, it has a built in stand on a adjustable arm, it.works well how ever, I don’t have a trained eye, it’s hard to tell cloudy from clear, they all seem cloudy when u have the led on.

1 Like

I agree with you I am still learning. It is especially harder under the leds in a tent.

I started just pulling them out and looking at them away from the grow lights. It helps some.

6 Likes

after many attempts to capture the images I wanted to acquire, I gave up, and went back to the drawing board to start over. I determined my hands were my biggest liability, tremors from pain and arthritis prevented me from having a steady hold on the camera. I setup my capture through my computer, I manually focus, set the shot and use my mouse to snap the image, no jitters (most of the time). One time I worked so long to try to get a certain shot, that tension built up and my arm and shoulders then suddenly released then knocked the entire camera setup into a monitor then off the desk! so now, I try to enjoy and explore as I view the wonder of these plants.

regards,

11 Likes