Hygrozyme substitute

Well I known it was very similar to sensizym, but then I realized just now they sent me the wrong one when I went to look at it in detail - gonna have to message the seller… This only says made with enzymes from plants, contains trace minerals and water enhancing agents what ever that means

Edit: Looking at it in thinking different packaging but same product I thought I was getting… 6400 gallons for 12 bucks sounds nice, and that’s at their suggestion for a pond so I’m sure ill need much less

1 Like

Newbie question - I have been doing a lot of reading lately about hydro in general and people often mention beneficial bacteria additives and enzyme additives - but Im still confused about which one to use and when or if they can or should be used together.

I think understand why to use the beneficial bacteria additives - to help prevent the bad anaerobic bacteria from getting started? Also, you would not want to use H2O2 with these because it kills the good stuff with the bad?

But why the enzymes - dont they do the same thing?

When would you choose one over the other or would you use both?

1 Like

Enzymes break down dead organic matter. Fungi in hydro doesn’t work. When the plant has everything it needs it will send out a signal at the root level to repel b,bacteria if you use it with hydro. The opposite is true in dirt. The signal will be sent in combination with the release of glucose to attract the bacteria.

3 Likes

Very interesting. Thats the first time Ive read anyone say the beneficial bacteria works in soil but not with hydro - or maybe Im confusing the various products Ive been reading about.

Now I need to re-think my supply list for my first hydro grow.

Thanks!!

Interesting note on their webpage.

Blend of ultra concentrated enzymes that convert dead roots into available beneficial nutrients, stimulate growth, and prevent disease and rotting. Allows for reuse of medium/soil as well as improving medium microbial environment in root zone. This formula is stronger but comparable to Sensizym, Cannazym, Hygrozyme.

This product is not necessary when using MEGA CROP as your base nutrient!

This is probably the next enzyme product ill try. Has both enzymes and beneficial bacteria.

4 Likes

@Viva_Mexico did you end up coppin those pond enzymes? @Skiball that looks like a good one… much better value than buying canna specific ones for infinitely more

2 Likes

Wow. One 8oz packet treats over 16,000 gallons!

So, my little 15gal rez would need like two grains of dust from the package?

Actually I would need about ,008 oz or just under 1/4 of a gram. Not sure my scale goes down that far.

Can you over dose with this kind of stuff?

2 Likes

No pond enzyme

I just picked up today 2lbs of

N.P.K raw enzyme. Just tried it for the first time today.

I had to order it from the U.s

1 Like

I really what to try their grow/bloom microbes

1 Like

I’m resurrecting this old thread rather than starting a new one…

Hygrozyme is super expensive, as are common alternatives made specifically for us growers.

Have any of you found a good “hack”, or alternative to Hygrozyme? I’m looking for suggestions from those of you who are actually using the product you’re suggesting.

One of the alternatives that my Google “research” has produced is called Carefree Enzymes Pond & Fountain Water Clarifier. If this stuff works for hydro, this will cost a small fraction of what Hygrozyme or similar products cost. Are any of you using it?

I’ve used API pondzyme and API stress coat + with good success as a alternative to hydroguard.

Works great.

1 Like

Here’s my go to…Microbe Lift, Barley Straw Extract.

It’s ultra concentrated and very effective! Oh and did I mention cheap!? :slight_smile: I think I paid around $30 and treats 80,000 gallons!! :open_mouth:

Happy growing

Brian(Alaskagrown)

8 Likes

I’d hate to use the pond stuff only to find it strips the iron or zinc out of the nuitrient soup.

But I imagine if its safe for fish it should be OK for plants . Some of the prices are outrageous on enzymes.

For us organic growers its hard to beat a fresh sprout tea (enzymes ) or I like to bubble some malted barley for an hour .

Had a recipie for diy enzymes using citrus peels . I tried it 1x with clementine and the other little oranges . Definitely wasn’t as fast at breaking down old roots .

I now use

But I think its only in Canada https://enzymeskomplete.ca/

Half the price as the rest. I have no skin in the game . It just works after I chop I can water with this and a week later pull the stock out without damaging everything.

Are you using these in a hydro environment, @Alaskagrown? If so, what type of hydro do you do?

No strictly living soil

@Purple-N-Hairy

I’ve used barley straw extract in aeroponics, dwc, ebb n flo, top feed drip…it will work with any water culture type system with a reservoir! I will also use sometimes in raised beds to consume root matter and turn into food for future plants…

Be well

Brian(Alaskagrown)

2 Likes

Curious: If you’re in living soil, then why do you need an enzyme additive?

How much ml of microbe lift do you use per gallon in your dwc buckets?

I grow big plants in 20gallon pots when its time to chop it can be difficult replanting without ripping apart the soil. so I just use enzymes and week or so later I pull out the stump without effort.

1 Like