Trehalose what is it? How does it effect plant growth? How does it help with stress such as salt, drought or freezing?

I would like to learn more about Trehalose.
So I am starting this discussion to shed some light on a topic I never hear anyone talking about.
I know some may have never even heard of Trehalose.

So what is Trehalose
Apart from its function as a reserve carbohydrate, trehalose is known for its role as a stress protectant.

Trehalose is a unique sugar molecule that has a wide range of potential applications in improving plant growth and development.

Trehalose is a sugar molecule consisting of the binding two glucose by the α-1-1 bond. Trehalose is non-reducing because it is formed by the coupling of two reducing groups . This bond also ensures that trehalose is not affected by acid hydrolysis.

It has been shown to positively affect nitrogen metabolism and photosynthesis in plants, leading to increased productivity, biomass accumulation, and chlorophyll content.

In addition, trehalose has been shown to promote resilience against multiple abiotic stresses such as drought and flooding, as well as increasing yield potential when targeted to certain cell types, tissue types, and developmental stages.

It is thought to reduce the damage caused to cells by forming a protective layer around them and modulating the activity of various proteins.
Trehalose is also believed to act as an antioxidant, reducing lipid peroxidation and the resulting damage to cell membranes.
Furthermore, it is believed to be involved in the regulation of cell cycle and apoptosis, helping cells to survive under stressful conditions.

These properties make trehalose a promising compound for improving crop yields and resilience.

Have you heard of Trehalose before today?

It has been shown to protect plants from freezing and drought and starvation, which could be very useful for outdoor growers.
Trehalose has also been shown to work well as a seed primer.

Please feel free to join in this discussion and we can try to learn something together.

Thanks
Shag

14 Likes

Never heard of it. I’m gonna grab a seat for the discussion.

1 Like

Hmm never heard of it! Looks like it’s been used for decades tho in the food and pharmaceutical industries…

Trehalose: an intriguing disaccharide with potential for medical application in ophthalmology - PMC.

Looks like some definite benefit in plants and can be taken up at numerous stages, including seed soaking :thinking:

1 Like

A great sweetener for diabetics too…LOL

Since the hydrolyzing activity of trehalase is ordinarily low, it causes only a mild increase in blood glucose and insulin levels (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2020.01623/full#B3), (https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fimmu.2020.01623/full#B4)). In contrast, sucrose, a disaccharide composed of glucose and fructose, immediately increases both blood glucose and insulin levels after oral intake

From the paper you posted @HolyAngel

Trehalose and protection from dehydration

A “water replacement” hypothesis to explain the role of trehalose in anhydrobiosis has been proposed. This hypothesis suggests that trehalose replaces water in the desiccated organism by hydrogen bonding interactions with polar groups on membrane lipids and proteins.

2 Likes

So what do we know so far?

1. Trehalose triggers resistance to downy mildew.
  2. Trehalose is effective against drought stress.
  3. Trehalose is effective against starvation stress.
  4. Trehalose is effective against salt stress.
  5. Trehalose provides frost protection.
  6. Trehalose positively affects nitrogen metabolism and photosynthesis.
  7. Trehalose reduces the damage caused to cells by forming a protective layer around them.
  8. Trehalose is also believed to act as an antioxidant.
  9. Trehalose is involved in the regulation of cell cycle and apoptosis, helping cells to survive under stressful conditions.
  10. Trehalose works well as a seed primer.
  11. Trehalose is known for increasing yield potential by improving plant growth.
  12. Trehalose is known for increasing biomass accumulation.
  13. Trehalose is known for increasing chlorophyll content.
  14. Trehalose functions as a reserve carbohydrate.
  15. Trehalose is known for its role as a stress protectant.
  16. Trehalose has anti-viral properties.
  17. Biochemically, trehalose has the ability to stabilize lipids and protein membrane.
  18. Trehalose can be successfully used for achieving the maximum performance of medicinal herbs.

Does anyone have anything they would like to add?

https://www.sciencedirect.com/topics/agricultural-and-biological-sciences/trehalose

3 Likes

It’s naturally occuring in all plants, just topdress with diversity of plant material like kitchenscraps, tree leaves, grass clippings, dandelion, nettles… that’s all the fertilizer anyone ever needs and it’s free.

5 Likes

So, has anyone or any company bottled this for an amendment to add to your grow or is adding plant material the only way of introducing this to your plants?

1 Like

You sir are correct. :slightly_smiling_face:
It is in insects and just about everything in very tiny amounts.
For the desired effect we are looking for, we may need a more concentrated solution.

Super safe, super natural.
I would imagine if you looked you could find a better version that the one I posted.
You can buy powder cheap and spray it right on your plants.

From the article above:
Our results indicated that 10 mM trehalose displayed remarkable plant biomass by improving growth physiology, which were supported by the results.

2 Likes

Somebody probably will once they know about it.
I dislike most bottle nute companies.
I always try to find scientifically proven stuff to DIY.
This is way better than any of the bottled sugar crap we see in hydro stores.

5 Likes

Extra cost, extra packaging waste, extra pollution from transportation and extra work. All for something that’s unnecessary. Extra yield does not equal quality. All the extra yield may only produce extra fiber and extra water. Doesn’t mean it increases cannabinoid diversity and content, which is what matters most.

What makes a plant more robust is the diversity of species in its environment.

1 Like

@Rogue
While I do appreciate your philosophy, I really do… :heart_eyes:…I feel we are getting off topic, there are several topics worthy of discussion in your reply.
I do not wish to be disrespectful, but internet chat is sooo cold. :cold_face:

I was hoping for more discussion concerning trehalose.
I would be more than happy to discuss any of the topics above that concern you in a different thread if you wish.

The reason I chose this topic for discussion was… I feel using trehalose in our garden can boost plant health not so much to boost yield.

And we all want optimum health for our plants.
I feel most would agree, that a plant grown at its optimum health, will maximize its cannabinoid production and do its best to meet its potential genetic maximum limits.

Here is an example of what I am trying to say in summary.
Top-dressing grass clippings will not protect our plant from freezing or drought ect.
Spraying the powder in the link provided will.

So really we are talking about 2 different animals here.
You seem to be wanting to add trehalose to the soil just to have it in there.
My hope is to use it with precise aim to do a specific job for a specific reason.
You see, that is just not something I can get by top-dressing grass clippings ect.

Just so ya know, I like all natural methods, I like clean water, I dislike pollution.
I truly understand that yield may not be the most important thing when growing cannabis.
I would just prefer to discuss that in a different thread if we could.

All the best!
Shag

6 Likes

Potential Fast COVID-19 Containment With Trehalose

It looks like trehalose has anti-viral properties.
May need to incread the dose to 50-100mM
This may prove to be real helpful in cannabis…or not…LOL

idk about covid lmao but that could prove important for HpLVd or TMV :thinking:

3 Likes

Seems to have a very good synergy with SA.
Meaning they work better together, 37% is pretty significant.

The combined application of Tre + SA to drought-stressed seedlings increased shoot fresh mass by 37% compared to drought-stressed plants that were left untreated.

3 Likes

Yea, I wondered that myself when I saw the paper. :wink:
I figured maybe someone smart like you could tell me if/how it would translate to plants.
A virus is a virus…No?

@HolyAngel
Thinking just now…
Combine Trehalose and chitosan and I am thinkin’ that should do the trick.
We may need to alternate the treatment, I am unsure about tank mixing the 2 together.
I gotta check my notes for more on things with anti-viral properties.

I remember folks were saying… they knew they had a virus but the chitosan was allowing them to harvest without the symptoms of duding.

In simple terms it looked like the virus went away, we know now it did not, but the plants reacted as if the virus had gone away.

2 Likes

Regulation of Flowering by Trehalose-6-Phosphate Signaling

https://www.science.org/doi/abs/10.1126/science.1230406

2 Likes

@Neopetal
Thanks for sharing. :smiley:
Did ya get anything good out of that paper?
The whole sugar signaling thing is so new and exciting.

That link was behind a pay wall for me.
I found this PDF if it helps others read the article.
I will be looking it over now.
Thanks again!

Regulation of Flowering by Trehalose-6-Phosphate Signaling in Arabidopsis thaliana

wahl2013.pdf (836.5 KB)

2 Likes

Chitosan is legit! I’ve been rocking HyShield every couple waterings and it makes a huge difference even on healthy plants. Good call alternating the two! May have to look into that further.

3 Likes

I guess trehalose can be considered an elicitor.
I know Chitosan is considered one, did not know about this.
The mode of action seems to be by increasing the phytoalexin accumulation like when plants encounter the pathogens.
Seems to be a very good pesticide too.
Ooops, can’t say that it will have to be regulated as such… :astonished:

1 Like

Might I suggest this as a DIY chitosan product?
$10 probably makes 10 gallons of ready to use liquid.
Something like that anyhow.
You may have to do some math for a proper comparison.
It is also made from fungus, shellfish are known to be high in heavy metals, so that is not the best source, unfortunately there is a ton of waste product and it is probably cheaper to make.

Chitosan Oligosaccharide is 14 times more effective in bio-activity than any other form Chitosan.

4 Likes