I fucked up, can I transplant from hydro to coco?

So, one of my jerry rigged netpot cups is splitting and making the plant wobbly. my fault for rushing into this when my net pot lids got lost in the mail and my seeds had already germed.

Can’t really see a way to move her to a real one or a more sturdy rigged one, so I’m thinking of moving her into coco/perlite next week. Not really sure how to go about it though. I dont want to lose her because she’s the biggest and healthiest of my 3 plants.

(next time I’ll wait till I have everything ready before I start)

4 Likes

Doable for sure.

3 Likes

She’s not a seedling by any measure, week 3 of flower starts tomorrow. Close to 3ft tall and bushy as hell. Someone on rollitup just suggested zip tying the cup shut and that seems pretty doable and a good bit cheaper.

6 Likes

It’s more forgiving. Yes

1 Like

What kind of hydro?
Is the plant going to fall down into a bucket or something? Pics would help - especially showing how the roots are growing out of the pot.

If the pot is secure in the lid, then you may not have any worries at all. This is what my net pots sometimes look like late in a grow. Note that I deliberately cut out several of the net pot vertical and horizontal webs. No plants have fallen out or over in my grows.

Zip ties sounds like a lot less stress than transplanting if they are necessary.

12 Likes

Transplanting half way in flower sounds like a bad idea especially if you don’t know Coco.

4 Likes

I’m gunna second @Daytripr69

Especially going from hydro to coco, the roots are going to struggle to adapt. If it was in the middle of veg, it probably wouldn’t be a big deal.

7 Likes

Yeah what Larry said. I wouldn’t transplant. Try to fix it or rig it somehow

2 Likes

Ended up cutting a hole big enough to squeeze the root mass through in a Tupper ware container. Took a little help but she’s stable now.

3 Likes

Interesting and creative solution!

I would have suggested you drill a bunch of holes in the side of that container. Im worried the hydroton will dry out because no water will get to it from the bubbling action in the bucket. New roots also like to grow out the sides of net pots, but keeping the hydroton from drying out is more important I think.

At the very least, cover and seal up the top of the container to try to limit evaporation as much as possible.

Good luck with the grow!

1 Like

The roots pretty much start at the bottom but I’ll put something over the hydroton to be safe.

1 Like

The roots are all at the bottom of the stem? Did you plant it lower down in the hydroton when you transplanted it?

If so, now I wonder if you might get stem rot. I’ve read mixed reports about that when burying a stem lower in soil - some good some bad.

Now Im torn between covering the hydroton or leaving it open! Sorry for the confusing advice!