I like to Schwazz...anyone else into Schwazzing?

Schwazzing of course is the pruning technique of removing every leaf with a stem on day one of flower and then the same on day 21 of flower. This really is the opposite of LITFA but I feel the pruning definitely increases bud sites, perhaps with a sacrifice for large individual buds. I also do a scrog with a lot of bending and popping; also using @BudBusterPro for the first time on this grow. I couldn’t find a dedicated topic to this technique on here so I thought I’d start a discussion topic about it.

Here are a couple of pictures of my current grow and the day one pruning.

Day one flower after a haircut.

Day six

Day 11 flower, I’ve removed a few leaves at the centre of each plant due to the extreme density of foliage, in particular the 9# which comes from a reveg mother.

Day 15f

Day 19f

After the defoliation.

Day 25f

29f

31f

37f

38 Likes

I’ve used a similar technique but in veg. Take everything off but the shoots…veg for a couple weeks, then flower. I like the way the plant grows this way…kinda “showcases” the buds :thinking:

:four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover::four_leaf_clover:

10 Likes

h9gh78

16 Likes

Found it!

I really want to schwazz after seeing your garden but every time I’m 1/3 of the way through defoliating I take a look at the pile of leaves and become paralyzed with guilt. One day…

8 Likes

I’ve done this ONLY with my RDWC, was a lot of work but did make the plants huge as fuck!

Only caveat: NOTHING BUT :popcorn:

I had legitimate gorilla paws hanging but it was all too much trim jail for me for the size of the buds; the quantity was through the roof though.

Trim machine = would totally do it again but until that investment is required I’m calming down on the schwazz.

6 Likes

Schwazzing autoflower,should I do It with fighting a High Rh problem and Botrytis lingering ,had It on One plant?

4 Likes

Doing a Schwazze was the First and Best thing we did when White Powdery Mildew showed up on a couple large plants, early in Flower
We schwazzed, then applied Enders 3 in 1. And every 6 days there after we sprayed the plants with milk /water (2-part/3-part) and we Beat the PM. Zero issues

14 Likes

It’s like serving three consecutive trim jail sentences.

9 Likes

So It could be good for fighting botrytis,even tho It attacks dense Buds.Maybe with this technique I can indirectly fighting this pest by giving more airflow to the denser Buds directly

2 Likes

My fucking hands started hurting after typing out my comment remembering that jail time.

My outdoor UK Cheese this year took me all day to crop/wash (8am-9:30pm), yeiled .85 of a LB once dried and de-stemmed… and STILL THAT WAS LESS STRESSFUL THAN THE :popcorn: :gorilla: :raised_hand: 's!!!

5 Likes

GrowWeedEasy has a very good article on it Have used it with some strains with some sucess

6 Likes

Theres already a living legend right here on OG who already taught me the art. I just lack the conviction.

4 Likes

Well,Imagine working with autos,I Always feel guilty doing this in Advance flowering stage.I Just strip 20 leaves and go pray or feel very very guilty
@lophophora.ca

3 Likes

I would do It tho with those autos,botrytis Is lingering in my tent since It started in One plant I harvested early

5 Likes

Also is helpful if high humidity is an issue because you remove so many leaves, less transpiration.

Any strain that is very leafy won’t stay on the roster for exactly this reason. The GMA is great because it DUMPS rosin and after the day 21 haircut it gives up on leaves and just makes bud. I’ve dropped the phantom cookies domina because of how much new leaf it made after the haircut.

7 Likes

Moichandizing!

I always wanted that flamethrower.

2 Likes

Does it really improve your yield, guys? :open_mouth:

3 Likes

Definitely increases yields and decreases humidity and bug issues.

4 Likes

A look at a before and after of the final defoliation at day 21(ish).

Individual branch before and after.

7 Likes

Yes. But you end up doing a lot more work for it :rofl: :+1:

2 Likes