Idiot-Resistant Watering... but Cheap?

A big thing I’ve faced as a new grower, and something I see others ask about, when does the plant need water? We know it can’t be too dry, or too wet, but how much exactly? Does that fit your schedule?

So many variables; I’m curious how everyone waters their soil pots. I started recently simply submerging my smart pots, pulling them back up and drain a bit. Then I wait three to four days, until the soil feels about as dry as peat moss. I don’t know if this is good or bad so much as I’ve done this a few weeks and it’s working well.

I like the idea of drippers, but the problem is overwatering plus I feel there is some credit to saturating the soil and then drying for a few days. Any thoughts?

4 Likes

For me it depends on the plant and pot size (obviously)… for the one I have in a reusable shopping bag, it gets 4 liters about every 2 days… its not enough to cause run off… im just too lazy to mix another jug lol.

On smaller pots I typically let them dry out till they’re light by then the water typically runs through quickly, so I’ll pour until it starts to fill my drip tray then let it soak it back up. If it soaks up quick I leave it another glug in the tray lol nothing scientific whatsoever

2 Likes

Check out tropf blumats. They are pretty popular self watering system that doesn’t require a pump or timers.

4 Likes

I have only ever heard of these today, weird.

They are quite appealing, I’ll have to give them a thorough look through.

1 Like

I think you answered your question, use the KISS principle. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes