Auto watering systems

Hi fellas,
is there any auto watering systems for soil on the market which working well?

1 Like

I was looking at this system, though I haven’t decided to get it yet.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0743F4532/?coliid=I30YSM13QYF4J0&colid=1FE000IMU6UGU&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

It seems good for a small area. Has anyone seen this system?

There have been a few folks here that have put together their own. @Mr.Sparkle os one that comes to mind.

correct me if im wrong, but drip irrigation system keep plants soil wet everytime?

Not necessarily “wet” I would guess it would depend on how much you are feeding and for how long. I am sure that you could set the time to keep the soil moist by keeping the time on short and the interval between longer, just like with HPA or Flood and Drain.

Does flood and drain system fits with soil? Or do i need to search somthing with gravity feeding?

1 Like

In my experience, @Kingtut, soil needs to dry off quite a bit. Flood and drain are great for media that hold enough air on their own to not drown the roots. They do sell blumats that can be adjusted

Check this out

4 Likes

Yeah if you are doing soil, Blumats are probably the way to go.

2 Likes

Doesn’t the tank have to be ABOVE the level of the plants to make the Blumat work? Wouldn’t this be difficult for a larger reservoir?

1 Like

They do require pressure to work properly. There are many way to accomplish this. One way would be to have the res low, but a control bucket up high. A pump and overfill will not only keep a constant pressure, but also oxygenate the water. They also make a pressure regulator that hooks right up to your water supply.

1 Like

Photos of the smaller versions of the product on Amazon just show the feed tube stuck in a bowl of water next to the plant… ??

I saw those, but it isn’t like the other systems where you hook them up in line. Each one has its own hose and that has to go in the water, by itself. You would have multiple lines from multiple plants running to either the same reservoir or multiple reservoirs. Besides, the feedback doesn’t sound good for any of those.

1 Like

Ya I’ve just started to look into these systems and don’t know much about them. Just figured I would mention that I saw them configured that way. I am guessing those ones rely on wicking to create negative pressure in the lines. I guess it isn’t very effective.

It seems like a great idea, and if you had only a few plants, you could put a bucket below a shelf and run all of the hoses in the middle up to each planter. For me, right now, it would be a nightmare as I have 16 solo cups going (3 CBD Hash, 5 Old Skool and 8 Frreedom Dream - that I hope will sprout). Now when I thin down it would probably work.

1 Like

i know @Jellypowered was satisfied with his blumats … but you don’t want the jr. ones those suck apparently… i think they’re like what you’re describing above… probably just drippers w/ a pump and a timer are tried and true

1 Like

Hey @Kingtut

>This< link will take you directly to where I installed my blumats. If you scroll down through the thread you can see they work great.

@MomOnTheRun Talks about her blumat setup/tutorial >Here< In the Bodhi F2 dbhp thread.

@KingGhidora used blumats at some of the gents on the >OG Discord< recommendation starting >Here<

@DavesNotHere started using blumats from what I can tell starting >Here< and he kills it!

@toastyjakes started using the blumats I sent him >Somewhere around this post<

@Mr.Sparkle uses arduino based watering (Top fed, recirculating flood style) >His thread is here!<

That should give you a lot of reading material and help you make a decision on what you’d like to use.

There are lots of other auto watering systems as well, @argo945 has automatic watering on his cubes, Lots of us use flood and drain on sonoff wifi switches as cycle timers, the possibilities are endless!

Jelly

7 Likes

Someone knows how to use the search feature. Let’s not forget @Sebring installed the Blumat drip tape here.

4 Likes

Thanks for the tag! It reminded me to update that post with lessons learned so far. :+1:

2 Likes

Jelly, I like the idea of the Blumat, but is there any way to place the reservoir “below” the plants? I would have a really tough time not only having a place for it above, but lifting a full bucket (would think having less than a 5gal bucket would be a waste of time).

Leave the reservoir in place and use a hose to fill it?

You can leave the larger res on a bench and then get a 5 gallon or smaller bucket to mix your nutrients in. Then carry the lighter bucket over and dump it in your res.

Unless you have a large operation this is pretty easy to do.