Incoherent gibberish & Goji F2s. Also Bodhi adventures & pollen chucks

I’ve done a lot of pollen chucking with DJ’s Blueberry & Vanilluna in the early 00s and still have some F2s and various F3s from Vanilluna. Good effects are buried in those lines but unsurprisingly there are a lot of other issues. Mutants and variegated phenos are cool for sure but I’ve seen enough of that and it’s hard to retain my interest. I said unsurprisingly because DJ would say that the effects (subjective) are either his only or at least his primary selection criteria. I remember people would often say that due to being so inbred, Blueberry genetics really shine in crosses.

I have GG4 x OMG but I’ve never tried it, so trying an OMG cross definitely sounds like a good idea to me. I could also make a few F2s and dust the lowers on anything else that gets tested at the same time. I’m liking the idea of Madre Azul.

Forgot to add that I also have Beautiful Day ( Topanga X SM ) , but I’m already testing that as well.

11 Likes

Yeah, that’s not surprising. Anything that inbred is probably gonna lead to, uh, “issues” haha. Again, though, I was just thinking of that OMG male. The few (what I’m assuming are) OMG-dominant females I’ve grown have just been so gawddamn good. Structure-wise, finishing-times-wise (as long as your cool with ten weeks or so), flavor-wise, high-wise… Just a good male, in my limited experience. I still haven’t figured out why Bodhi retired him. I heard something about “leafy” plants? That doesn’t seem reason enough. And none of mine ever turned out leafy.

I do not like GG4 at all haha, so that’d definitely be a pack I sent to somebody who was interested in it.

I agree. I think they will. To the point that I’m actually sitting here wondering,”Shit… Are those Madre Azul seeds still available…?” haha…

7 Likes

Zephyr posted his impressions of Irene a while back. Somebody asked me about that one a while ago, but never having had any experience with it, either growing or smoking it, I asked him a week ago. Here’s what he said:

“ Yeah I did talk about the Irene OG a while ago. It’s one of the southern OG versions. When I first saw it in California around 2012 or 13 they said it was a cut from Atlanta.

It smells like floral perfume and fruit loops. Compared to the OG lines from california the buds are larger and grow in colas, and the structure is more apically dominant with colas. If I were to guess, I think it could be either an outcross of the other southern kush cuts like triangle OG, or possibly just an unrelated line from era when all high grade bud was called “kush” in some states.

It’s pretty different from what I would consider the true OG kush lines from california. The older OG’s were stretchy and branchy with little nugs like berries evenly distributed on the whole plant, and larger buds at the tops.

Here are some quotes from what I wrote previously:

irene OG- perfumey fruit loops. This seems to be the smell that people now associate with the name OG, but to me a real OG like platinum, sfv, or the original should have a loud gas and skunk smell with hints of mild sweetness like the platinum OG clone I grew in the bay area, or the OG buds I was getting from good dealers in oakland and san francisco around 2009.

The irene OG comes from atlanta, and it appeared at a time when any really high quality bud or bud from out of state was frequently referred to as ‘kush’ or ‘og’ regardless of the strain. There is really no evidence that it has any shared lineage with the classic OG lines. it may be a relative of the emerald triangle bud that was bought to florida and became known as triangle kush.”

12 Likes

This is on my list of meds I want to try. This is the first time I have ever heard it mentioned here.
:green_heart: :seedling:

10 Likes

Cool info but I just read yesterday about the true origins of the Irene. It was a thread by Nspecta on ICMAG. He posted his cut and inquired if anyone had solid info. Low and behold, Growhard Rudeboi chimes in and tells the whole story of the Irene.

Based on what you said and what I know from smoking her for a couple years, perfume and fruit loops is far from her smell. What you’re looking for is more sour than anything with some kushyness to it. Face melting sleepy time smoke.

Sorry if I’m being picky about info but I’m trying to keep it as accurate as possible.

Part of the history is that Irene is the name of a person’s grandmother. This person used to get bags of this bud and said if you smoked too much it was “ good night Irene”.
Hence the name “Grandma’s Hashplant” that Bodhi gave the cross :sunglasses:

Here’s a link to that specific thread from 2012
Irene history

15 Likes

Just a lil grow log, if you wanna do some reading. I thought it was fucking amazing weed; syzygy did not haha.

6 Likes

Only skimmed through the thread until I have more time to read through it but your review of Uplift #4 reminds me a lot of one of my Uplifts in terms of flavor and probably smell too. Mine was probably musty but not strong smelling at all. Lacked flavor as yours did. It had the same elongated “sativa” buds too, maybe a bit stretchier. I liked the effects of the SunRa that I was testing at the time more so the effects didn’t stand out enough to be memorable for me but I know that my friend who doesn’t care about taste/smell really enjoyed it.

So cool thanks for adding that info!

10 Likes

That’s actually what zephyr said; I’ve never grown it or smoked it. It’s a quote from zephyr’s thread after I asked him about it, because somebody else had asked me about it and, again, I know nothing. I was just trying to help a brother out. I’m not real interested in it at all, but zephyr’s grown it, so… The “perfume/floral” description did make my ears perk up, though, as every OG I’ve ever come across has that in spades. The “Fruit Loops” thing, though, not so much haha…

Thanks for the link, though. I’ll read it later today. Even though I’m not interested at all in the Irene, I do love reading about the history of every strain. Hopefully that thread is well-written and doesn’t contain a shitload of typos haha! Those are always distracting…

Oh, no, dude, I just posted that link for the benefit of @G-paS, because she said she was interested in it. I’m not trying to convince you it’s good weed haha! If you don’t like it, you don’t like it.

10 Likes

It’s not really that I don’t like the cross, it’s just I dread winding up with more of those terps that I associate with the OG x SL crosses. Almost the entire pack of Goji and Legend OG x SL had them and the few Uplifts that I tried did as well. I love reading alternative or challenging points of view for sure, it may even prompt me into trying more… Seeing what you found is really interesting to me because again I still probably have half a pack left.

The first Devil’s HP female that I found was one of the worst plants (other than Legend OG x SL) that I’ve ever seen from one of Bodhi’s crosses. Very large sickly sweet smelling flowers that wound up with male flowers hiding underneath every bud. Tried 2 more and the better of the 2 is easily one of my favorite plants that I’ve tried yet.

11 Likes

how are the Snow Lotus leaning plants like? i see there are a couple here not too fans @minitiger had also mentioned a dislike.

Also, ANYONE willing to let go of their

Mothers Milk (F1 or F2),
Strawberry Milk (F2), or
Apollo Genius (F1 or F2)

i am looking to buy.**

here are my Goji OG F2 excited for my first Bodhi gear (F2d by Catapult)

12 Likes

I’d assume with the F2s that I made the mother leans Nepali OG and the father (probably) leans towards SL based on the stem coloration and thinner leaves. So people reporting purpling of the stems in the F2s I’m assuming to have snow lotus phenos, but your guess is as good as mine. I could be completely off base with any of this and I’m not an authority by any means so grain of salt.

Snow Lotus Father (bodhi) :

Snow Lotus female :

Pictures taken from :
https://www.icmag.com/threads/bodhi-seeds-strain-companion-guide.287708/

15 Likes

Thanks! I have noticed a couple lanky ones like that - ill keep its progress posted here if its of interest.

4 Likes

I didn’t say that. In fact, I just said the opposite, that the Uplifts made me reconsider the Snow Lotus crosses and more inclined to run them.

4 Likes

True regarding the uplift, sorry I had in mind a priv convo we had where you told me most (6/7) of the SL crosses you tried before you didn’t care much for. But I do remember reading that the uplift had been one of your fav too

EDIT : just checked IM WRONG, it wasn’t you (mixed up a convo with another user) !! Lol apologies - and I’m not even high - didnt mean to misrepresent you.

2 Likes

Not to be repetitive but I feel like it’s worth clarifying again because more people read than post(edit : not directed at you, I mean unregistered readers. I used to read for years to research strains prior to posting for instance ). The reason I’m cautious and long winded in making judgemental statements or negative reviews is because often times any feedback on something becomes part of a body of evidence for or against it. I always find it useful to know why someone may be dissatisfied with something and the more relevant information the better. Knowing an individuals preferences are key here when dealing with the more subjective side of things.

I feel like most people who are posting here would analyze me saying that I tried a half of a pack of something and immediately understand that is far from sufficient to judge a line on, especially when you consider half a pack includes culled males as well. I am attempting to be as clear as I can for those who may read threads, or even just search “Uplift” prior to making a purchase. It seemed like 1 or 2 negative SunRa reviews on one of the other forums reduced the community interest in the line quite a bit a few years ago. In my experience SunRa is one of my favorites from Bodhi, thankfully I didn’t let those posts influence me.

I’ve personally had bad luck with the Snow Lotus crosses that I’ve tried but many people swear it throws out gold and I definitely believe they’ve found far better phenos than I have. I haven’t run enough to contradict their experience, just enough to make me apprehensive about exploring more myself. It’s all a genetic roll of the dice and I’ve gotten burned too many times, even if only by bad luck with SL. I believe the Snow lotus is said to pass on berry traits and I’ve yet to encounter much of that either for what it’s worth. In my opinion with the Snow Lotus dominant phenos try them first and then form an opinion for yourself on whether or not you like it. It’s doubtful Goji OG got as popular as it did without the male in the cross passing on something worthwhile as well.

18 Likes

I apologize for any confusion made, I thought i had a convo with minitiger regarding SL but no, (the convo i had with minitiger was about other dads). The convo I had regarding SL was another user, not about your post either.

The other user, who had grown or tried at least 7 SL crosses, didnt care for the sl pheno because he felt muted effects and terpenes were too similar.

I myself got two SL crosses even after that. and im growing Goji, i agree.

good info, ill be on the look out to identify them in my Goji F2

7 Likes

Oh no for sure, I understood you weren’t posting about me I just wanted to use the discussion as an opportunity to make sure it’s clear that I’m not trashing the SL dad or crosses made using it. If the coin lands on heads 10x in a row you wind up apprehensive about betting on tails again and that’s how I feel with SL crosses at the moment haha.

edit : Reread the medicated post that I made before taking dogs for walk and think it unintentionally came across as aggressive, sorry if it read that way to you. More people read than post forums in my opinion (myself for years only browsed prior to posting) and I was literally talking about them haha. When I search for info on strains I don’t always read the in between comments for context. Hope you feel free to post any and all opinions of your Goji OG f2s you’re testing, I’m definitely interested to see what kind of phenos you find and would be cool to compare!

To keep it informative here’s a pictures of the disappointing Devil’s HP I was referencing earlier…

And some Uplifts with morphology that remind me of the review linked :

uplift2 (2)

22 Likes

You and I have DM’ed before? Really? Shit… I don’t remember that at all haha! Whatever I said, though, was for sure opinions I still hold, but, uh… Fuck me, man… haha. I do not recall those DM’s. I’ll have to go back through them and see what you and I talked about haha.

7 Likes

lol yeah, you were very helpful - i got my OMG cross (smart move) because of our chat. cheers :slight_smile:

7 Likes

not surprising, I was convinced to try Madre Azul a few posts up as well aha. I regret not buying Soar (Columbia Red x OMG?) after reading his review as well…

Here’s a couple Legend OG x Snow lotus pictures. The pheno I assume to be Snow Lotus dominant was actually stronger odor for what it’s worth. I also pollen chucked it with a Goji OG male but have never tested any of that cross…

This pheno had 0 odor like the common Goji and HA OG x SL phenos. It also developed male flowers on the underside of buds when nothing else at the time did.

I actually found notes of the smell from around week 8 or so…

Sunshine Daydream - Rubber, Glue/Adhesive, Coffee 9/10

Legend OG x SL - nothing , Sweet 0/10

I’m assuming this pheno was SL dominant based on the purpling and more “sativa” type buds with slender calyxes, as opposed to the other phenos large “swollen” calyxes that almost look seeded.

18 Likes