Indoor LED grow

I’m sure someone here could help you trouble shoot that light, above my pay grade but others are like led wizards lol

4 Likes

Your best bet for led lights in SA is https://growopz.com/ the only cheaper or better option is to build them yourself

3 Likes

Haha I hope so!

1 Like

Thank you for the suggestion I will look into these.

1 Like

I would not mind building one tbh.

3 Likes

Then check this thread: Cheap LED Strips : A Viable Alternative

You can buy all the parts and import them. Does depend on the exchange rate though and courier costs which might be more now. Also there is import duty but if you list the parts as electrical components it should be lower than listing them as lights.

5 Likes

Throw up some pics of the light, we might be able to walk you through some basic trouble shooting. Do you have a multi-meter?

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Alright so here are some pics of the light. Also I don’t even know what a multi meter is tbh!

As you can see half the LEDs on the left dont work. Also the fan on the far left has sort of stopped spinning now it just sort of jumps in place.

3 Likes

I did open it to see if any wires were loose everything looks fine, there isn’t much inside just 4 power supply units I think and the board with the LEDS on.

1 Like

Fans do that when the blades get blocked. There is actually a test called the ‘locked rotor’ test. I’ll bet a small loop of wire has intruded into the fan blade area.

Love the unit label… I can put a CE mark on a pickle… The FCC basically means it probably will not jam your radio. Not sure of the last Agency mark - maybe China?
No UL, no TUV or anybody else.

Usually these designs vent air out of the ends, is yours like that?
If so you might be able to see in.

When you get some ‘down time’ on the light you need to take it down and open it up.
First order of business is to sort out that fan blockage as that’s 33% of your active cooling.
Now that I’m thinking about it, the two problems might be related. Wouldn’t be surprised to find that the wire involved with the fan is the supply or return from the driver to the LEDs. You might be able to peek in through a slot and see the problem and move it out of the way of the blades (with the power unplugged) without opening the unit. But I would want to open it for inspection and tidy up the wire management.

Cheers
G

6 Likes

Thank your for the advice! And yes it does sort of vent air out let me start by trying to fix the fan then I will worry about the rest! I am comfortable with opening it and will take some pictures! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alright so everything looks quite neat here is a picture.

this is the problem fan.

1 Like

I opened it up and everything seems perfect.

1 Like

Could this maybe be related to one of the four power supply units?

1 Like

Probably, a lot of thos have a 12V output and the fan and LEDs run off the same PS. Good thought Malcolm.

4 Likes

My fault, I was expecting to see an external wire snagging the blades (not inside the fan guts). Carefully put the fan back together…

The fan body, where the screws that attach the fan to the metal work. take a photo of the side of the fan. There are two standard flanges, solid & open. They should be using solid for that mounting style. Open flange can be problematic (for this mounting approach) as it is easy to distort the body and stop rotation.

Open bench test. With the fan reassembled and connected but not screwed down. Power the unit up and see if the fan spins freely. Standard safety precautions, double check to make sure nothing is shorted especially around the AC connector, switch etc.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

The good thing is if the fan is bad; 12VDC is a standard computer fan voltage so not much of a problem finding a replacement.

G

3 Likes

I would swap fans with one if the working ones to eliminate the PS.

4 Likes

Good call. Not your first rodeo! :+1:

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Thank you for all the suggestions!:slight_smile: I also have a few PC fans but nothing seems to be the same size! As for the fans they look solid but I’m not sure I will send a pic.

now that I look it actually looks warped. That is okay Gpaw I think that was a good guess though with the wire snagging!

1 Like