Indoor LED grow

Ok, now you are cooking with gas!

It’s the driver! Have a look and see if it is also driving LEDs (I think so because it says constant current).
(edit) never heard of ‘NL’, might be internal Cheese brand (I wasn’t supply side so lots of that info never got to me)

Cheers
G

3 Likes

Yo Malcom check that retailer for light its in your country
https://marigrowuana.com/collections/lighting

1 Like

Haha definitely! So yes from the problem fan there is a wire connected to the PS then from the PS there is a wire to the LED board and a final wire from the power inlet to the PS. I took a better picture last night!

1 Like

Hey Ras-T! Thank you for the suggestion. I really like the look of these lights and hopefully I can get one before the flower period or as soon as funds allow! For now though I will have to make this work somehow. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Any thoughts on these Cree LEDs? https://za.rs-online.com/web/b/cree/displays-optoelectronics/led-lighting-system-components/ which model would work best?

Cree cobs are on the out and out at the moment in favour of “quantum” style LEDs (basically tiny versions of these massive chips over a wide board area). Although Cree cobs are great (I run 10x cxb3590s), they’re small and focus a lot of light into a small area (helps to have a reflector or lens to dissipate the light) and generate a lot of heat, where as “quantum” LEDs are lots of smaller cobs over a wider area so you get the benefit of the efficiency of the newer cobs, with the added benefit of a wider coverage and less heat (i can touch my EB2 strips no problem but my cree heatsinks get very warm)

The current “goto” boards are the Bridgelux EB2s. I did a build recently with an old mars hydro 900w and some EB2s. There are a lot of companies building these kinds of lights nowadays, the “blurple” style LEDs (like the one you have) are pretty much deprecated in favour of these newer “white” cob/quantum style lights. Others have already posted but this thread has tons of great info about building LEDs. IMO its definitely worth it, I know jack about electronics and I managed to build my lights, now when ever I need to, I just rebuild the frame to fit my new grow space. Ive been using my Cree cobs for over 3 years now

4 Likes

Thank you for this information! Very helpful I will definitely rather look at the quantum LEDS overall it seems much better to build one!

4 Likes

The cobs work better without those reflectors.

@Malcolm that led thread I shared is about building your own quantum boards and its the cheapest / best setup that you know will work. You’d be buying from either that site you posted or digikey. Just add btw $50 to maybe $100 for postage and then 14% for import duty. If that total works out much cheaper than the growopz lights then I say build them yourself but keep in mind you need to buy extras like the frame, wire and connectors plus ropes / pulleys for hanging. You’d have to borrow a multi meter too, to check your wiring before you flip a switch.
I built my own lights until I became aware of Growopz. If I ever need a new light I’d buy from them rather. The lights work really well, the price point is very good, especially when compared to the cheap made trash most of the local shops sell. And they actually know what they are doing. You can give them your tent size or grow size and they can easily help with light size / strength.

Also I sound like an agent for them, wonder if they pay commission? lols

4 Likes

Hey Nooby! I will have another look at that thread! At the time I didn’t realise that you get quantum LEDS. I think you might be right about the price though it might just be easier to get them from growopz!

1 Like

Haha you might have to ask them about commission lol but this sounds like the best option

1 Like

Well they did sell me some parts even though they dont do that type of thing so figure I’l pimp them out a bit. Also with the canna industry starting to fire up there’s a lot of rubbish about to flood the local market one of which is overpriced badly made led lights. I cry a little on the inside thinking of people spending that money only to get about half or less of a light for the money’s worth.

3 Likes

I see it on Reddit all the time people posting links to $20 “100w” bulbs from amazon. makes me very sad

1 Like

That’s the problem! There seems to be endless options and I don’t mind spending a bit as long as I know I’m getting something decent. I’ll have to weigh my options though a big factor would be the import costs and building vs just buying a premade one.

I just have a issue with this all how do I know if the light will be enough? It’s almost as if these are not measured by watt.

For example how many of these would I need to get the equivalent of a 600w HP’s. https://growopz.com/collections/grow-lights/products/growopz-diy-led-bar-3000k-4000k

1 Like

You should maybe work on grow size rather. What space do you have to grow in? And those are just strips, you’d need a driver for them too. Drivers are generally the priciest part.

You can contact growopz and ask them what you’l need. Just tell them your size for growing and they can help with the right light

1 Like

i would go with 10, running them at 400-450, 550 max W, that would be equal to 600 HPS (somewhat, i did fast search on internet of PPFD measurements, i didnt go into spectrum thing)… that should be enough, and also they use the same arrangement here: https://growopz.com/products/ripper-430w

1 Like

Nice! Considering I am not a expert on the topic I will rather just ask Growopz or get them to build one. My space is 1200mm x 1200mm x 2000mm we use metric so sorry for anyone who uses imperial! I can get a really good deal on a 400 watt HPS this is what I originally wanted but I am worried about the power consumption and heat factor. Then again I really don’t know I can’t decide!

Yes I am quite aware of the drivers! :slight_smile: I will keep this in mind too.

If you plan on growing indoors during summer HPS lighting will require an AC but its great for winter grows.

And I see Growopz stocks drivers now, nice

1 Like