Indoor LED grow

I don’t mind the AC at all tbh and power consumption?would it be much more?

I’ve never done any measuring on HPS for power consumption. I’m running about 740w of leds with an Ac and dehumidifier which is costing me about R1200 to R1400 per month

1 Like

Eyy haha yeah the electricity is included in the rent so I don’t know :sweat_smile:I will have to see I guess I mean I don’t want the biggest grow! I can get good bud anytime so it’s more just for fun :sunglasses:

Update 1

So the seeds are all coming out except for the purple haze. I gave them a bit of water this morning pH is at 6.5 the humidity is at 50% and the temps are 21.0°

Gypsie Widow #1

Gypsie Widow #2

Aurora Borealis #1

Aurora Borealis #2

The plants look really drenched in the photos but I only gave them a little bit of water.

5 Likes

Purple cotyledons! Interesting!!

Cheers
G

2 Likes

hey mate, i can help you out since im electrician, and im off until sunday, but i def recommend asking them first, because its not only buying leds and drivers, its also about mounting them somehow, so buying metal frame or making your own, from what ive seen prices are good, but they didnt have any in stock when i looked today, only those experimental, and the one suitable for you: https://growopz.com/products/300w-bridgelux-eb3-4000k-fixture-cpt-only is couple of cm too long for your box… as i understood, they make their own fixures, so see with them if they can make you one or tell you when will they have in stock, but if youll go diy route ill sure try to help as much as i can (driver selection, wiring diagram, some tips on frame building)…

also, check out this thread: Source code: C++ Temperature Conversion and Vapor Pressure Deficit Classes 🛠

there is a chart with recommended temp and humidity, and explanation why…

and here: https://github.com/plant-og/vpd

you can download a web page (just click green clone or download button on right, download file, extract from .rar, and open index.html), where you can choose what grow phase youre in, and youll find recommended values in green for optimal plant grow…

btw @anon98152597 is there some thread where i can see your grow? :smiley: im interested in your light, how big area you use and what leds, how is it going for you? edit: nvm, i creeped your profile page and found it! :smiley:

2 Likes

How much heat come off those things ?
I see a lot of people using those LED’s

Cheers

1 Like

You should raise your temp to 24 if you can , 21 is too low , that’s where the purpling is coming from
Great vibe you got going
: )

2 Likes

Hi and thank you for the response. :slightly_smiling_face: I did try to find a replacement power supply today for the current LED system but I couldn’t find one that could work. Also about the fixture that is okay I am a 3D designer and I have access to a milling machine so I could easily make something. Unfortunately at the moment funds don’t allow it but hopefully I can get to this soon! :grin: (Edit) thank you for the links! Sorry I am quite new to all this.

1 Like

Not much heat at all really with the light on the room only reaches 16° I put a heat mat in wich raises the temps to about 21°.

Hi ifish! Any suggestions? :smile: I figured as much and it was actually much colder in there about 16° haha I don’t really have a heater so I am not sure :sweat_smile: also thank you! :slight_smile:

Hi Malcolm : ) Can you move the small propagation set up temporarily to a room where the ambient temp is higher ?
What is the heat mat sitiing on ?
If you can insulate the floor that the heat mat is sitting on with a piece of ridged insulation board then more heat will be fired upwards and not be absorb by the colder floor/surface

2 Likes

Haha no this is not possible unfortunately the place is very small! :smile:

Do you think a small fan heater could work? I can get one in the morning. :sunglasses:

Try the insulation trick first : )

2 Likes

well, there isnt much you can do without heater… those electric ones are very power inefficient, but still come cheap… i dont think heating mat is good at heating air, and as @ifish mentioned if your temp is 16 degree your floor is same or lower, and youll waste energy heating the floor, styropor or something similar underneat should do the trick of transfering some more heat to the air…

edit: something like this should be enough, if not overkill: https://www.amazon.com/Lasko-5409-Adjustable-Thermostat-Features-Oscillation/dp/B006JV24IU/ref=as_li_ss_tl?keywords=lasko+754200&qid=1578682425&sr=8-10&linkCode=ll1&tag=sensig1-20&linkId=242bfb3a318c49cf8eea63ace9a6cf73&language=en_US

or maybe something like this that has a fan: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Electric-Fan-Heater-Thermostat-Portable-Oscillating-Base-Remote-Control-2-2kW-/122751137372

(these are ment to be recommendations, i dont know where to source these things in south africa)

but make sure it has termostat and a tipping-safety, it looks like a plastic pin that pops out when you tip device over, it shuts it down if its not standing up…

3 Likes

Can you insulate the tent any ?
Heat rises , so if you placed a blanket or similar over the roof , this will help trap the heat in the tent and stop it escaping etc
Also if your light is say half way up your tent or less then raise it too the top of the tent ( safe distance from roof of tent etc ) and then raise the pots and mat same distance , as the top half of the tent is warmer than the bottom half
Fixing your temp should be at the top of your to do list

2 Likes

Ohk I will definitely fix this tomorrow I have tried throwing blankets and stuff over earlier but it makes no difference. I can try the insulation but the temps are only going to get colder and colder. I could consider lifting the plants but don’t really have anything I can use for that at the moment! I like the look of those little fan heaters though I know they are not the best for power. But that’s okay.

1 Like

So I have raised the plants off the floor and got a small fan heater. The temps are now better at 24.6° and RH is 42% now that the temps are up the humidity is going down though.

2 Likes

damm, it seems you need a humidifier also, especially if air is dry in south africa… but its better you do it now, before they are any bigger…

1 Like