Initiating living soil

Build-a-soil is great. Sometimes they use a few too many additives and such - nothing that’s bad but perhaps overkill / overcomplicating, at least to start with. I think it’s good to start simple - coots soil mix is great and learn the proper amount of water. Top dress for nutrients when needed, etc. Get some Gnatrol off ebay or wherever to help with gnat control.
I hand-water and will be using that moisture meter to help judge when and how much. Eventually some form of automation would be cool so it can be on auto-pilot for vacations.
I have the bed on a bit of eva foam to insulate the basement floor, otherwise it’s just in the tent.

3 Likes

Very helpful, thank you. These are all great tips. Copying your insulation idea.

3 Likes

Aaaaaaand this is why I come here. That sounds good @ReikoX. What is your take on watering systems? What “cover crop” would you plant to prep the soil for cannabis? I’m waiting until NY officially legalizes home grow for MMJ patients like me (hopefully very soon) but I am ready to start failing, I mean learning, I mean failing…

I’ve actually never seen let alone touched or smelled a living cannabis plant in my life. I take CBD with delta 8 THC. I will be making oil for sublingual administration with my (hopefully eventual) harvest. The oil has changed my life immeasurably and I know there is a whole universe to discover.

5 Likes

@101 in NY if you have a medcard you can already grow your own medicine. I’ll find the news article bit as of Nov.1 2021 I believe your all set.

2 Likes

@101 Oct 25 2021. Rock and roll brother.

2 Likes

I am a firm believer in having as much soil as possible. The 3x3 grass roots beds are a little smaller than that, but I guess it is a trade off.

I just started using the Tropf Blumat watering system and I love it. Prior to that I would hand water with a Chapin sprayer.

I have a love/hate relationship with cover crops. The 12 seed clover mix from BAS is what I have used a lot in the past, but the clover is just seems to attract thrips. I have been playing with dichondra, it’s not a legume, but is a good ground cover.

Check out my tincture thread for a whole bunch of ideas on how to make your own medicines.

5 Likes

I know lol, mostly just mean that it’s easy to learn practical application without delving into advanced sciences.

2 Likes

Thanks so much @Kami I appreciate your post and link. We are almost there but not quite. That notification had a lot of people confused (including me) and was the opening of a public commenting period. If you look at this FAQ (scroll down to the section “General” and then part 5, it is pretty clear.

5. Can I legally grow my own medical cannabis at home?

Not yet. On October 21, 2021 the Cannabis Control Board advanced proposed regulations for home cultivation of medical cannabis. The proposed regulations follow the requirements of the Marijuana Regulation and Taxation Act (MRTA) . The public comment period ended January 18th. The OCM is reviewing the public comments on the proposed regulations to determine whether amendments need to be made before the regulations are filed for adoption.

Patients and designated caregivers CANNOT legally cultivate medical cannabis at home until the regulations have been formally adopted.

When the final home cultivation regulations have been adopted, a notice will be posted on our website notifying patients and designated caregivers that they can legally cultivate medical cannabis at home in accordance with the regulatory requirements.

Please continue to monitor this website.

1 Like

@ReikoX OMG you are a lifesaver. Seriously. I am diving into your thread right now.

1 Like

As you’re watching BAS videos and perusing the BAS website, don’t forget you can shop local too.

For example, even my local garden (not hydro) store carries a significant line of Down to Earth dry amendments because local people use them in veggie gardens as much or more than people use them for cannabis. For some of the other standards, like compost, kelp meal, etc., look to local grain elevators or farm supply stores. They may have larger bags that come out significantly cheaper in the long run than buying 2-5 lbs at a time through BAS–and are often the exact same brand that BAS sells. Buying quality organic compost locally is much more cost effective than buying something like Malibu Compost from BAS just because it’s in the videos. For malted barley, you can check out your local home brewing supply companies.

3 Likes

This is an excellent point. Building your own soil isn’t that complicated and most of the stuff is available at local garden shops.

2 Likes

before you go down the infinite, bottomless rabbit holes to follow, a word of caution. 4x4 is much bigger than you think, especially considering your circumstances and the ramifications. watering alone is a whole thing. don’t get married to the 4x4 until you see the tent erected in place, and have a clear idea of the cost of all the hard parts you’ll need up front, plus a bunch of stuff you don’t know about yet, plus the soon-to-be very legitimate running costs.

you almost can’t go too small at first. too big is much worse.

a clean, dialed-in cabinet is a beautiful thing, and super underrated. a few years ago, I heard about a guy in NY making full-custom boutique grow boxes that look like posh furniture. not sure if he’s still making them, but that would be super nice to have.

in general, it wouldn’t hurt to dig through the archives of guys like Dr. Bud, blynx, and @Mr.Sparkle

@vernal kinda nailed it here.

i don’t mean to be a downer, just trying to help you avoid issues i’ve faced in similar circumstances in the past. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My recipe for new soil:

54% peat moss

15% manure/compost

25% perlite

5% rice hulls

Easy version: One 3ft bale of premier peat. 1 cubic foot bagged compost. 2 cubic foot bag Vigoro perlite.

Homer depot is currently delivering vigoro perlite for free. Premium peat (3ft) at Lowes. Fluffs to 3.75cu.ft.

Coots mix needs more aggregate diversity and slow release minerals:

Barn lime contains slow release chunks:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/waukesha-lime-barnlime-50-lb-bag

This ag oyster is 70% coral reef. Large aggregate:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/manna-pro-oyster-shell-50-lb

Nurseries carry Gypsum in several grades, roughly $10 for 40lbs. Dolomite half that. Don’t ship any of this stuff.

Everyone is overdoing Calcium with the fine powders and poor mineral diversity. Of course they’ll call it nitrogen claw or something.

1 Like

I don’t think there’s enough boron in that mix. :wink:

4 Likes

Imgur

Welcome to Overgrow.com, growing and organics!

My current grow/diary has a 3x3 bed in a 4x4 tent (no drain tray just tent liner) and a 2x4 bed crammed into a 2x4 tent (no drain tray just tent liner). Running the BuildASoil Take and Bake kit in the 3x3 bed and my own version I threw together in my 2x4 bed. Just days away from a decent harvest in the 3x3 bed, trying to push them along a few more days.

Lots of good info and visuals in the BuildASoil season 1 and season 2 series to get ya started and answer some questions indeed. Watch them all! :evergreen_tree: :+1::green_heart: :evergreen_tree: :+1:

6 Likes

5 Likes

@noknees I appreciate your words caution. I’m going to wait until the tent is set up before I pull the trigger on a bed. I want to just get to know it a bit first. I have ordered lights and I went with MIGRO ARAY 8 | 480W - 530W.

2 Likes

Hey @101 I absolutely recommend the build a Soil YouTube series! That will set you in the right direction in so many ways. Can’t speak highly enough about it.

Growing is amazing! I hope you’re ready to have the most fun you’ve ever had in your life. It’s the best feeling.

The beds are super beginner friendly due to so many reasons. Just trust me on this. Jeremy will take you through why in season 2 of the 10x10 series. He does a side by side with pots and you can see how easy the bed is to maintain compared to the pots. The plants respond so well to the larger battery.

Best of luck!!

2 Likes

I’m swirling with excitement and your positive, radiant energy is giving me the feels on top!

Thanks for shining so brightly!!

2 Likes

There are a few soil manufacturers providing living soil and amendments locally if your interested. As others have mentioned there’s a lot of great stuff to be learned on Build a soil as well as the Kis organic podcast series.
BAS are Colorado based so you are going to eat some shipping charges ordering from them.
I’ll +1 on the blumats as I believe they perfectly complement living soils, just know that more than a few people have had flood outs with them at one point or another, so having a system to deal with that is important if you do go that route.

1 Like