Is 60f 60RH the ideal drying VPD? NOPE!

Hey,

My friends call me Farmer. I’m new to the site but not new to growing. I always love to learn something everyday if possible.

Check out the YouTube called the science of drying and curing! Allison Justice did some research for cannatrol.

I know some of y’all might say well the results must be skewed because Canatrol funded the study… Let’s put this aside because that argument is really disrespectful to Allison! She’s a very respectable researcher and I heard her say in a podcast that she did the control numerous times to confirm the results were accurate.

Her findings were on average at 68f 60rh resulted in 16% higher terpenes!

So a quicker dry down results in higher terpenes and much lower chance of pathogens taking hold!

60/60 works that goes without saying but is the higher temp and ideal VPD better?

I don’t have the ability to control my dry down at all so I can’t personally say one way or another if my anecdotal experience lines up with the respectable researchers outcome.

Shark mouse has a really in-depth right up that goes into some of this science.

14 Likes

LOL, The author is right that is counterintuitive…
Did you ‘parse out’ the best storage parameters?

Cheers
G

5 Likes

i just dried some shit at 70 or so degrees and 50%rh and it smells and tastes amazing, lol

5 Likes

Right on that’s basically close to the exact parameters that sharp mouse recommends.

3 Likes

Check out the shark mouse write up if you got the patience I think he goes into detail. Otherwise I know he’s going into detail on his Instagram.

3 Likes

Sometimes people assume that an accepted or standard practice is the best way of doing it. Most of the time it’s just a consistent way of doing the job needed. Individuals should adapt their practices or procedures to their own needs and environments. Not just drying but most things you do in general.

11 Likes

How did you do it? im gonna be cutting mine down soon, Im thinking a traditional chop and hang for a few days then into paper bags and into the fridge for 2 weeks

1 Like

honestly the same way i always do it and thats just chopping the whole plant at the base of the stem and then hanging upside down on a cheap clothes rack i got from amazon. any big fans that look like they will cause trouble i cut em off. i was basically at the mercy of the conditions of the room… not much in the way of control besides what the AC was set at (for humans to be comfortable, not 60 degrees lol)

one thing i will say is that jarring too early will cause hay smell. i was very patient with the first three plants and they turned out perfect, but tried jarring the 4th one just a touch early and its straight hay now lol hoping it will slowly improve but i doubt it will

8 Likes

So if I shoved them in a decent climate room, and into a cupboard hanging upside down it would be lit ?

1 Like

if the cupboard has moving air then id say sure dude! im no expert though, i just dont have the means to do crazy shit like 60 degrees at 60% rh lol

2 Likes

Big thumbs up for Dr Allison

2 Likes

Very cool. I’ve dried half upstairs and half in the basement, about 10 degree difference, with slightly different humidity, and noticed a different flavor before jarring, but it all ended up getting resorted to lowers and tops and jarred together like that.

I assumed it was more volatile terps going faster in one area than than the other. each terp has its own BP, so the overall % of terps may be higher, but those extra volatile ones may be gone all together. The ones with higher BP might benefit from less time at a higher temp.

Super interesting. So far I think the closer you can fly to the sun before you fall, the better,

3 Likes

Looks like by sheer luck im currently in a decent range (at least for right now, this second :joy: -day 1 drying my latest victim)

2 Likes

“She’s a very respectable researcher”

Says who?..

She talks like a forum grower aka drug dealer who never holds a lb longer than a week. Boiling point evaporation, preservation, stuff that demonstrates you don’t grow cannabis imo.

Curing isn’t a myth. It’s a well known chemical process involving oxidation of chemicals, not temperature and light and humidity and charkas. Ignore the “experts” who don’t even mention terpene transport, fatty acid oxidation, things that actually need to happen while you’re trying to “preserve” them from happening.

1 Like

She has a PhD in plant science, which isn’t surprising given the tone and focus of that post.

1 Like

No one said “curing is myth”…

1 Like

Did you watch her lecture? She’s respectable in my opinion because she did the research. Saw results repeated the controls a few times over to confirm that they were accurate. I can assure you she didn’t make a lot of money doing the research for can of troll.

How many side by side trials with different temperatures and humidities have you done?

1 Like

and fermentation, which of course is significantly impacted by temperature and light and humidity :woozy_face: