Has anyone tried grafting?

I have been growing indoor and outdoor since I was 14 my dad caught me cause I kept blowing breakers. I have to say I’ve come a long way since the days of a basement filled with florescent lights. Anyway I know of grafting I have actually done my own grapes, I’m thinking why hasn’t anyone grafted the holy cannabis with fruit (I’m thinking of trying with jalepeno because my jalepeno usually do great in garden.

8 Likes

I’ve tried it, will try again, but eye sight isn’t the best and fingers not up to small detail work
so gave it up until better conditions can be arranged.

Cannabis Origanum on YouTube has a quick grafting playlist. He’s into multi mom plants
all grafted to same root stock as the males in the stable.

8 Likes

I’ve read about this before. It’s where you graft a branch to another plant and it gives you a multi strain single plant. Seems a lot of work though. Why not just grow multiple small plants??
Incase anyone is interested - https://www.royalqueenseeds.com/blog-how-to-graft-cannabis-and-grow-multiple-strains-on-1-plant-n872

4 Likes

I’m wanting to try to make like say apples that have THC or grapes that get you stoned

4 Likes

Ah I see. Nah I doubt that would work. Graft a cannabis branch to an apple tree and see if the apple ends up with thc in it.

4 Likes

Ah… misunderstood… you want to pass cannabis properties on to something else…
Have heard of cannabis grafted to hops but never actually seen it done, and not sure
which was providing the root portion.

3 Likes

THC won’t be transferred to fruit or vegetables by grafting, BUT if you really want THC apples I imagine you can make a THC tincture and soak an apple in it for a long time (couple of weeks to a whole month) and I’m pretty sure that apple will fuck you up lol.

11 Likes

Cannabis grafting usually use the cannabis roots for support. Those roots are trying to crawl out of a7 gallon bag in the next room.

But peeps found out u can graft the top cuttings and have multi strain mom’s and dad’s. Great novelty, or keeping plant counts low. I don’t see much benefit other than those…

4 Likes

I found an old cannabis growing handbook from the early 70’s, written by “MaryJane SuperWeed”

They have some hilarious ideas about hops grafting, and cannabis in general. for some reason they thought that the resin was literally sap that was being “pumped up from the roots until it leaks out of the leaves and flowers” due to hydraulic pressure.

They go on to say that if you graft hops onto a cannabis root system, the hops will start growing cannabis buds. they said the cannabis roots will pump resin into the hops flowers, and it gets you just as high as weed. They recommend you grow your weed by grafting hops onto cannabis root systems to grow potent buds that don’t look like a weed plant. I was laughing my ass of by that point.

1. obviously, the resin and psychoactivity is not “pumped up from the roots” it is created in the tissue of the plants.
  2. all hops have resin, and look vaguely like cannabis flowers. they must have never even seen flowering hops before they tried their experiment.
  3. they said the hops flowers were the best weed they’d ever smoked, meaning that the weed they usually grew was probably hemp.
  4. as we know, hops are very rich in many of the same terpenes as cannabis. they were just getting high on trace terpenes.

Just a bunch of isolated hippies inventing their own cannabis mythology.
I’ll post some pictures, you guys will probably get a kick out of this.

12 Likes

Lol, myths in the cannabis world are fuckin crazy bro.

4 Likes

I’m not sure if it’s biologically possible to graft cannabis to an apple tree. I believe the plants need to be similar or ‘related’, that’s why it works with hops as it is a cousin of cannabis.

Even if you could though I think the roots of the host plant merely supply nutrients to the grafted branch. The weed branch would grow just like weed, and the apple branches would grow regular apples. I don’t think any mixing of traits takes place.

3 Likes

That would be my guess. Myrcene is one of the dominant terpenes in hops. It’s also one known to modulate the high.

1 Like

Fucking wow.

The supreme court heard leary vs US in 1969. US lost.
This led to the infamous controlled substances act
1973 saw the formation of the dea from a combination of the bdnn and odale under the umbrella of the usdt.
In 75 the supreme court ruled it wasn’t cruel or unusual for someone to get 20 years for possession or selling of cannabis. The boggs act of 58(?) introduced mandatory sentencing of 2-10 years and $20K fines.

And you expected them to what? Waltz into fucking princeton and get them to evaluate their book?
“Distinguished scientists” were testifying to congress that the world was heading for a ice age (how’s that working out?), and that a tooth soaked in cokacola for a night would rot away to nothing (close, but it takes longer).
Politicians were creating wars over their own ideals, a badge was a license to bully, and the people didn’t have a world wide platform to connect and say “Hey, this shit isn’t right”!

Don’t dare take the piss from what was achieved by pure love of peace and the well being of fellow mankind.

Who’s to say. I dare say; that in 40 years there is going to be a whole lot of people saying “what the fuck were they even thinking about that”?
I just hope that we can make half as significant a contribution to our future mankind.

2 Likes

Yeah I read about grafting hops plants onto cannabis roots to produce THC like 25 years ago. Found the idea really fascinating ever since. I only googled it maybe two years ago when I got interested in growing my own. Disappointing! :wink:

2 Likes

I’m well aware of the historical context, and as you may be able to tell from the fact that I purchased and own this book, I have the utmost respect for the authors and contents of the book. These guys were doing the best they could with limited knowledge, and probably took substantial risk to distribute this lithographed booklet.

as with everything else in this bizarre world, I look at it with a sense of humor. Consider the context is a thread where someone thought you could graft a cannabis branch with a fruit tree and get thc producing apples, and take it with a grain of salt.

3 Likes

So, wait a second here…

In Canada, a “plant” is defined as a root system. We are allowed 4 root systems.

So, if we grow one huge hops vine (bine ?) and graft a whole bunch of cannabis stems on it, that’s still one plant. :sunglasses:

AND, hops is a perennial so every spring you could just graft a bunch of different cannabis strains on it and let it go. A massive, climbing, multi-strain plant with one root system. :scream:

7 Likes

Yes, many are proposing grafting [multiple cannabis strains on a single cannabis root system] for this reason. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

Have a buddy that goes by bombbudpuffa he’s very good grafting.
Actually did a tutorial on it at another site.
I’ll see if I can copy down the pertinents, just please no questions, this would be like the blind leading the blind. Lol

4 Likes

Right, but the beauty of using the hops root system(s) is that hops are perennial (the benefits of an established and ever-growing root system) and that hops are climbers. I can just imagine all the possibilities in my yard! I have the perfect place for this type of grow!

I’m going to try it just for shits n giggles. Always wanted to grow some hops…

3 Likes

The success of the grafting experiments between C. sativa and the two Humulus species is thus consistent with their close botanical relationship. C. sativa strains however, continue to produce essentially their own characteristic mixture of cannabinoids whether they are grafted with other strains of the same species, or with the two Humulus species, and whatever part of the graft system they form. There is no evidence of loss of vigour in the quantitative production of cannabinoids in the grafts–if anything, the reverse.

Well. That sounds awesome. And here’s one way to do it.

Seedlings of the two species to be grafted were planted side by side, and when they were about 4 weeks old a diagonal cut was made approximately half-way through each stem, at the same level. The cut portions were slipped in to each other and the joints held with adhesive cellulose tape. After 1-2 weeks the unwanted top portion was cut away, followed in a few days by the unwanted lower portion, thus completing the graft. At least 20 specimens of each graft-type were made. The successful graft-types are shown in Table I and include inter-race Cannabis grafts as well as Cannabis/Humulus types. Success rates were > 30%, considerably higher if the grafts were made early in the season (May-June). All successfully grafted systems continued to grow well, and the Cannabis upper parts flowered in both male and female cases, the latter fruiting. Differences in stem diameter between C. sativa and H. japonicus and H. lupulus presented no barrier to satisfactory union.

9 Likes