Is this plant hungry? Its leaves are yellow and curling a bit

The pictures cant see as well as I can with the naked eye but they are definitely starting to turn a greenish yellow around the edges of the leaves and have a slight curl on them I think they’re just starting to do it only on this one plant though. They’re 3 weeks old yesterday and I’m wondering is that the first sign that it’s hungry and I should feed it or something else? I googled it but got a few different answers.

3 Likes

Welcome @mr_jones15!

Looks like you may be right. On occasion, some plants just don’t thrive, so, it might not be your soil at all.

Drench your soil with water with some epsom salt and be sure the pH is around 6.8 if you can.

If there is any food left in the soil, hopefully, the plant will again begin to absorb. If not, you will want to think about some kind of food. In veg, you can use things such as emulsified fish, or some off of the shelf stuff like the Espoma products.

Good luck and keep us posted.

99%

8 Likes

Thanks, I dont have a ph meter but I do have some epsom salt along with several nutrients I bought from advanced. These are going to be mother plants I’m just figuring out which plant from each strain i like the best so shouod I just feed them veg nutrients until it’s time to clone them? I do have Hydrodynamics mother a and b nutes as well. First time doing this I went all out and dont want to screw anything up!

1 Like

Hey Mr Jones welcome aboard.

I would pick up cheap ph testing strips just so you know where you are at. Are you flowering out your potential moms, or just basing your selection on looks from veg? Are these feminized plants your working with ? The only true way to select the best mom would be to flower each plant out completely and then revert it back to veg.

2 Likes

Thanks, could someone suggest a nice ph meter then? I’m going to be doing flood and drain perpetual grow and yes I am going to take clones from each of them and flower them to see which I prefer (super long process it feels like) and they’re both regular not fem.

1 Like

I use these PH strips. https://www.amazon.ca/Merlin-Scientific®-Universal-Meters-Indicator/dp/B07HDFMJ4D/ref=mp_s_a_1_1_sspa?crid=A2QO9ZC2JEUO&keywords=ph+test+strips&qid=1553791173&s=gateway&sprefix=ph+test&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1 The reason I suggest this is because you only really need to test your water a few times if you are getting water from the same source and using the same nutrients each time. Once you figure it out you won’t need to test it every time. These strips are cheap and accurate.

Being as your seeds are regular I would suggest not cloning off of them until you know the sex of each plant. Either flower out completely or flip them to flower, wait for signs of sex then revert back to vegetative growth. Wait a few weeks then start cutting your clones.

I’d personally grow them out completely so you can see the end product of each plant. Then revert back to veg at that point, regrow and then start the cloning process.

1 Like

Hm I should mention that I bought the ph perfect balance nutrients so I guess I’d prolly never need to read ph? Wouldn’t cloning them and flowering them do the same thing with less stress? I just dont know how they would feel about that lol

Edit: Is that Canadian Amazon? It wants me to order $35 worth of stuff couldn’t find it on American Amazon.

1 Like

I use this ph pen and i like it. I also wouldnt not trust a brands marketing if i have the ability to check for myself. Personal preference though.

https://www.google.com/shopping/product/6334553042760249774?q=hanna+ph+meter&start=20&client=ms-android-mpcs-us-revc&biw=360&bih=560&tbs=vw:l,mr:1,cat:4074,root_cat:529844,pdtr0:2133834|2133836,price:1,ppr_max:200,init_ar:SgVKAwjqH0oHsgQECLSrIA%3D%3D,ss:44&prmd=sivn&prds=epd:5073108072545645331,paur:ClkAsKraX_soHQsLJW0PzCIU6PPyBE4EeRsV5ZRVdce1T-8CNXTZ95feHinP73I_kHnldoUMDd1cIyAkVYml5dJIeFZ3xI6VKsE32KAhCOeUiGduIIvHvwgfRRIZAFPVH70_r5cBCf9r-k-HBywExbLClm1SlA,cdl:1,prmr:1,cs:1

1 Like

Never trust nutrients that say they are pH perfect or stable. Your growing in soil so the water solution pH isn’t that important as the soil will buffer the pH. @99PerCent knows his stuff so I’d follow his advice more than mine. Personally though I’d just increase the feed slightly then LITFA :+1:

4 Likes

Why not trust them? Even advanced nutrients? They seem pretty reputable, and I havent fed them anything yet was just reading some inputs as they came in guess ima give it some Epsom salt and see what happens :man_shrugging:t2:

1 Like

Everybody has different water quality that varies in pH and ppm levels. There is no way possible that they can make a single nutrient solution that will automatically adjust the solution to 6.4. A pH meter is an absolute necessity if you want total pH control.

5 Likes

I use Apera PH meter its 100$ C but they are great, replaceable head if you need to, had mine 3 years and its not needed re calibrating yet, still bang on. Does other stuff as well like water temp and EC I think.

I think your plant may be suffering from heat stress, the way the leaf edges are curling up, how close is the light and what temps are you at?

4 Likes

Yup. This.

Personally, to start with, I would get some PH testing drops. Costs hardly anything, never runs out of batteries, never needs calibrating.

Should be fine for soil. To be honest you only really need pens and more sophisticated kit if you move to a more water-based growing method.

Because they have a motive to bend the truth. If you believe them, they make more money.

I find that the more I find out about PH, nutrients, roots, fungi, nematodes, etc etc etc the less I believe claims made by people trying to sell me a product.

Now, I am not saying they are disreputable, more that any claim from any seller should be taken with a pinch of salt and it is always wise to get a third party opinion on the product (any product).

Never give unearned trust, because that is not trust, it is faith.

That was my first thought too.

It may also be low humidity. What are your temps and humidity?

5 Likes

Well my temps should’ve went down because my zipper detached from the two bottom pieces and I had to send it in for repair so it’s basically wide open in a small room.

You can see Monday morning was when I removed the tent the temp dropped a bit.

34c is far too high. 17% RH% is far too low.

You need to alter things so that the humidity does not drop below 60% in early veg, 80% is even better.

Also your temps should be between 22c and 26c (71f-78f)

This is the cause of your leaf edge curl. You have a massive VPD (Vapour pressure deficit) which is drying out your plants, making them close their stomata, and this slows the uptake of nutrients and ends up with yellowing leaves.

VPD is a little more complicated than can be displayed on a chart but a chart is better than nothing.

You want to keep your numbers in the green. As you can see, for a temperature of 94, you need a humidity of 85%, and for a humidity of 17% you need temps colder than 60f.

As your 17% humidity coincided with your 95f heat, that would be well in the red zone with a VPD of (I guess, you are off the chart) around 40. It should be closer to 8.

Environment, environment, environment. Those are the three important things to pay attention to when growing.

10 Likes

Great info @MicroDoser

1 Like

I didnt realize it got that hot I think it was those 2 days it was warm outside, still havent gotten my outtake fan up I’ll do that soon as my tent piece comes back in should be some time next week so theres not much I can do till then, guess I can turn heat up over there and I was thinking of investing in a large humidifier since my tents are in a building 1000 sq ft or less. Thanks for the referral chart good stuff!

2 Likes

Towels hung over tent poles and regular spray/ soaking will bring the humidity right up :+1:

2 Likes

@Esrgood4u what do you mean exactly? A wet towel hung in the grow room? Would you use hot water on the towel? Thanks. definitely need to raise my humidity in my cabinet

2 Likes

The heat from the lights will warm the wet towel causing evaporation adding moisture into the air and raising the humidity :+1:

3 Likes