Added a light. How to deal with heat

Added a cheap 90 w light w my 100w sf1000. Got a lot hotter in my 2x2x6. Added a cheap little ac outside the tent. Helped a little.

If I keep great airflow can I increase humidity to help? Will better VPD combat some of the heat stress?

3 Likes

Have you got an air extractor? A fan pointing to the lamps in the opposite side of the extractor one would help to dissipate the heat. Raising humidity would help the plants indeed … beer3|nullxnull

6 Likes

Confused what you mean? My ventilation setup is I have an in-line fan pulling from the top and pushing through a carbon filter outside. Then I have two 6” fans pointing opposite of each other above the canopy, a 4” fan under the canopy, and a fan outside the tent pointing at the bottom vent on one side and a small ice water powered ac doing the same on the opposite bottom vent. And now I have thrown my small humidifier in.

2 Likes

How much hotter?

2 Likes

Some lights allow you the ability to separate the LED driver from the light.

That allows you to have the driver external to the tent. The driver is typically about 90% efficient so that will eliminate 10% of the heat (actually it is a bit higher than that).

It is best to grab the air from the top of the tent (heat rises) and bring in the fresh lower down.
Typically my exhaust fan is triggering on temperature (which dragged my RH down) but last winter it was triggering on RH… My VPD was great all winter… :smile:

Cheers
G

2 Likes

76°-82° to around 83°-88°

1 Like

Only deal with it IF your plants are showing signs of stress.

88 Fahrenheit, that’s 31 Celsius, is totally fine, they should love it.

2 Likes

No detachable driver on the new cheap one. The sf1000 has one but isn’t even 1/4 as hot as the other light. I take out hot air from the top and try and bring in cool air in the bottom but my lung room is a non insulated garage. I have the ac infinity smart controller w the t4 only using RH to trigger as well and it does a very sub par job considering the lung room haha

1 Like

Not trying to “deal” with anything per say just trying to optimize the environment with the conditions/equipment I have to give them the best space to be the best plants they can be❤️

Anywhere between 68 F and 88 F (20 to 30 C) I consider ideal, I think you’re good! :smile:

2 Likes

I’ve just been told VPD is a very important aspect in the flowering stage to ensure the best quality flower so with high temps comes lower RH which I’m wanting to combat as well as avoiding heat stress.

And once I dry I won’t have lights obviously and it stays around 55-65 RH naturally so I should be good there yeah?

Well, it could help, depends how much effort and money you wanna throw at it.
Question is if it really makes a big enough difference to be considering it.
(extra watts vs extra grams of yield)
Maybe wait and see if you’re happy with the harvest of your current grow, then you can still make adjustments later, if you deem it necessary.

1 Like

Have you considered adding some co2? Can have higher Temps then etc…plus bigger yields… maybe a double bonus for you… at least in the future

1 Like

30 is pretty hot. I often run at 30 and have to stay in step with watering but otherwise fine.

The sf1000 is rated for a 2x2 and would work fine on its own I’m sure.

1 Like

Yeah raising humidity with heat helps keep things in check.

1 Like

The way my canopy is with the plants the outer plant tops are just getting almost half strength on the PAR compared to the middle reading that’s why I added the 2nd light.

2 Likes

Yeah… maybe rotation also will help with that without the light

Your filter probably not doing it’s best. I’ve found they clog quicker pushing through them then pulling through them plus pulling you can use the sock filter to help catch all the stuff that’ll clog that actual carbon filter over time.

1 Like

Your clogging the filter from inside.

1 Like