Jacks 321 Hydro discussion, questions, tips, etc

Thank You… everybody agrees the Canna is pricey, i think i have to try the Jacks first. If i’m not happy i’ll take another look.

Thanks, sorry to take offtopic.

3 Likes

Have you ever used pool shock to keep things sanitized? If so I’m curious how much to one gallon is suggested to maintain a clean healthy reservoir and not harm the plat?

1 Like

There is a very extensive thread on another site. " Make $2200 worth of “Clear Rez” for $4 !!!"

4 Likes

Just a note. Personally, if I had the option and was looking to buy, I think I’d go with Masterblend. They’ve already altered the formula/ratios slightly, based on feedback from gardeners (I think). They made the formula based on requests from gardeners (likely, or definitely cannabis growers - again - I forget), which is cool.
Might only be available from CHN.

Check out the ingredients to make the masterblend (the derived from), it’s pretty easy (to approximate. GMA is…not very trustworthy).

Anything else?

@Mr.Sparkle Have you considered “Plant-Prod” stuff? They’re “canadian” and much cheapter than Jacks.

@GCBudz If in canada, maybe check out “Plant-Prod” (6-11-31, or any of their other formulas).

Search the site for “hypochlorite” or “calcium hypochlorite”. There are some online calculators too. And I have it entered into hydrobuddy to do the calculations as well. Also, preparedness crowd use it as well - with guidelines from the US military/army on how to sterilize water sources, etc.
I don’t remember off the top, but I’ve got links and stuff somewhere.

4 Likes

The last time I used pool shock it was in a blue bag and just said cal-hpo. These new bags say "no chlorine lockout, so I assume they added something. I want to make sure this isn’t ph buffered and doesn’t have anything that would be an issue. And, thanks for the post; I did find that it on a google search. Seems like 1gram per gallon of water then use 5ml of that solution per gallon for rez or feeding.

Is this the right stuff these days?

https://www.amazon.com/HTH-Swimming-Chlorinator-Chlorine-Formula/dp/B09R841BDQ?

Looks close to it. I’d get the one in the 60-70% range (I think 62% is the one the military based their recs on). Yea, make sure there isn’t other shit in there (other pool treatment shit).

This one?

I’ll have to go back to that thread about making your own clear rez and see what concentration he used to see if it’s still one gram to one gallon for solution.

1 Like

A little silica in vegi and thats it other than PH up as my tap comes out at 5.7

2 Likes

Yeah was using their MJ bloom, boost, cal kick stuff for awhile but things were always off running what they wanted and then even going my route always ran into issues with it.

As for there 7-11-27 stuff i can get that fairly easy and in volumes that works for me as in say a 2kg tub for $25 which was gonna be my option, also can get masterblend from the same place but only 1kg for $25 which doesnt make sense when you can go with the plant prod stuff, either way its an hr+ drive as im never in that area or i pay $10 for shipping when ai get a few more things.

I just grabbed the A side of the 2 part megacrop cause with coupon codes it was only like $9 shipped for 1.3kg so run it see how it does and get some of the plant prod stuff when i run out or say grow a disfavour of the megacrop.

3 Likes

I didn’t know they made a 7-11-27. Comparing the GMA and ingredients (eg: 7-11-27 has a little ammonia in it) makes me wonder what the actual suggested use case differences might be. Both say “NFT, rockwool, other hydroponic media”…I’m using 6-11-31 now.

Strage, their website only lists 15kg size.

You can get masterblend, from a place in canada? Where, if you can share (and if they ship)? I’m just curious. I’ve got so much raw salts it wouldn’t make sense for me to buy more stuff.
I almost got the MC part 1 to have/try, but the plant-prod was cheaper (and in stock) when I needed something.

2 Likes

@GCBudz , I have used cannazym for years and my mentors befor that

Canna also states for any medium ( eg hydro = salts ) and it can be used in conjunction with other canna amendments ( eg pk 13/14 which is also salts )

• Do not use in combination with products containing hydrogen peroxide (H202).
    Is all they make you aware of

So all good , hope this puts you at ease : )

3 Likes

I’ve been running a bubbleponics 1-3gal bucket system and a 2 pint mason jar. It’s been going well aside from some previous water changes that didn’t happen for 9 days (3 times). I’ve been experiencing some large ph swing. I mix new solution to 5.8 and the last change (5 days) the ph lowered to 4.9-5.0

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

My 2 pint Mason jar I’m not concerned about as the numbers fall within an acceptable range from what I can see

My thought goes to raising my ph of my new solution to to 6.5 which should provide me about 4-5 days where the solution would stay within usable ph range but would like to hear from some experienced growers in this area.

1 Like

What i have found but dont take it as gospel or even correct is that fertilizer bases that have straight nitrate nitrogen when they are used drive up your pH at a quick rate likely cause that NO3 is negatively charged and in order to be brought into the plant a exchange with a positive charged particle needs to happen.

So with the addition of ammonia there is now some positively charged nitrogen in the NH4 portion and that tends to have an effect of having a more stable pH over time as when nitrogen is being consumed both negative and positively charged particles need to be exchanged to bring in that NH4 and NO3.

So typically those in DTW type watering setups dont see issue as they are consistently over flushing pushing out excess that would cause said pH to rise, its just in recirculating setups that pH drift can happen quick and why say in certain hydro setups alot of pH down is required to keep maintenance.

Like if i have a choice im going with fertilizer makeups where the nitrogen is mainly in nitrate form but does have a little ammonia as my first choice or urea as my second cause it seems to help with pH stability, vs having a straight nitrate fertilizer that will cause the pH to drive high when being consumed.

As for say the 2kg tubs of 7-11-27 its cause said store breaks them down into tubs and they carry the 1kg packs of master blend which they do sell on amazon as well but only as kits, that place thats “somewhat” local is https://www.jonsplantfactory.com/

6 Likes

Just a thought as you bubble your water your forcing contact of carbon dioxide with your water which can form carbonic acid which will drive your pH down, also depending on what stage your plants are in they will be pulling different elements from your water and if those particles are positively charged one they have to exchange negative one which will also drive your water down, such as when Phosphorus and Potassium are being consumed.

5 Likes

I’m running Jacks 15-5-20, tap water fertilizer mix with Epson salts

I was wondering about hitting it with air as before when I would mix a organic tea solution I would notice the ph would increase dramatically which I thought I read that due to the chloromine which my city uses once the bond is broken of this molecule you see a large change in ph. I would see the change over a 24hr period

1 Like

I found in DWC the larger volume water the more stable the PH over time. For me one, two and five gallons were too small of a volume and ph drifted too much; once I moved to 25 gallon totes the ph stayed where I parked it and was simple to get back when being topped off. Just my experience.

5 Likes

I’m right with ya on that. My nft 3 trough system has 15 gallon reservoir plus 5 gallon per trough and I adjust it way less than the 5 gal bubblers . The more air I push the more I adjust. I upgraded to commercial high volume pumps and well the plants love the extra air but I’m adjusting them way more :v:

3 Likes

What type of pump @BIGJ

When you top off do you fill upto your chosen level to keep 25 gal with pre mixed-up solution? Then res change every week or 2? Just trying to understand the process of others better to make mine more efficient and streamline

I got them off Amazon. Simple deluxe is the brand, I have 2 smaller pumps same brand I bought last year. Paid 40$ each x2 for 600 gph. Few months ago they had the big pumps on sale. Paid 20$ each and these pumps are 1400 gph :thinking:. They work great . Definitely a noticeable difference, :v: