What are these leaves telling me

The edged are all light green. Two have leaves doing something kinda twisty.

2 Likes

Have you checked the runoff ph?

3 Likes

What they are telling me:
The Afghani is strong in these ones. (leaf twist & width)
And, they are a little hungry for nitrogen because they are petal to the metal.

Am I close? :laughing:

Cheers
G

7 Likes

No, I haven’t. I will if dry enough tomorrow! What should it be.

1 Like

Well… all mine look like shit and are hovering around 4.5-5 lol so somthing above that should be fine

2 Likes

I have problems trying to keep it under 7. I use lot of ph down.

1 Like

Oh I see… I havnt encountered that lol.

What’s the PH of your water source? Believe it or not, they could be “overdosing” caused by Salt buildup from all the PH down. Which brand are you using, or WHAT are you using to lower PH? Different Strains react differently. I would really do a good Flush and see if that’ll get 'em back on schedule. Wish you the best, don’t give up the fight, stay safe and, indeed, be well…mister :honeybee: :honeybee: :100: :pray: :heart_eyes:

6 Likes

They look over watered to me… Good luck man

4 Likes

Check that runoff pH ASAP.

What are you using for pH down? R/O or tapwater? Keeping pH below 7 shouldn’t be a problem with mineral acids with water that has even a small amount of alkalinity.

4 Likes

OK so 2 are Afghani dominate. The middle doesn’t do it. How do I do more Nitro? They showed hairs yesterday and I didn’t even need a magnifying glass.

They are still to wet to check runoff.

General Hydroponics, I can’t flush yet the are still wet can. When I checked source it was 8.5 when I first turned it on. After running H&C and it is 7.5 and I take it down to 6-6.5.

They are still wet and it has been a couple days. The one on a different drip plate dries out completely before the last watering.

General Hydroponics…I was to have an R/O system installed today but with 12" of snow and 2’ drifts, they canceled so still just well water from the tap.

1 Like

Man what substrate and system are you using? You definitely need a dry point between watering so the roots can breathe… Unless its dwc.
Constant wetness can cause the stem base rot also.

1 Like

Using R/O water is going to give you worse pH drifting than tapwater. R/O has almost zero alkalinity.

GH pH down isn’t terrible, but there are better cheaper options available that don’t use any citric acid like they do. Pure mineral acids are more stable.

What is too wet to do a runoff test? Just water it again. Indoor growing media shouldn’t hold so much water that full saturation is problematic.

Plants don’t look too bad, your problem is minimal/early stage and likely easily corrected.

4 Likes

Yes, the one on the clear tray dries out lot faster than the two on the black tray. I don’t know what that is about.
I made soil with the coot’s recipe.

examples please. I have almost anything on had. I found a box full of stuff I thought I hand and couldn’t find. Stuff got moved when I forgot I was filling the humidifier and flooded the down stars drop ceiling.

So, I should water with distilled water only?
What should I do for Nitrogen.

I’d use tapwater over distilled, set at whatever pH and nutrients is optimal in your media. Water until it starts to drip, and measure that. It’s not scientific but it’ll give you an idea of what the pH is in the root zone. You’re just looking for a big difference in input vs output, and adjust accordingly.

If you’re using regular nutrients, and your pH is normal, it is unlikely it’s a nitrogen deficiency, just a lockout. If you do need to supplement N, there’s a million options for that, organic and salt based. Potassium nitrate, calcium nitrate, etc.

Mineral acids include sulfuric, nitric, and phosphoric acids. Most hydro pH down products are just phosphoric acid. GH is an exception, their pH Down is a blend of acids, phosphoric and citric. I use Cyco pH down because it’s very cheap, available, and just phosphoric acid. There are many options and you can make your own pH down if you have the inclination.

2 Likes

It went in at 6.5 and came out at 6.3 on the run off. The source water was 8.9 tonight but 7.8 at the end of the fill. For some reason It starts out at 8. something and if I let it run hot and cold for awhile it goes down to high 7’s.

I could be wrong, but I recall with hard water you can get mineral build up in the pipes over time. In theory it could be the first water is absorbing more deposits? Just a theory.

I wouldn’t water them until they ARE dry, your schedule be damned. I had some plants that I eventually figured out I was over watering because my soil drains too slowly. One of the first things I noticed was aggressive whirling, and then the leaves began sagging. Then wilted and died… curiously the green tips I recognize too! In my case it was nitrogen deficiency. Although my lime green tips became yellow tips and eventually leaves. Those leaves never recovered but after adding more fertilizer the new growth has been coming in happy and green.

3 Likes

What did you use for it? I was hoping I had something to use but, I don’t know which stuff does what. I haven’t had this issue before.

For what it’s worth, I prefer using RO water for my organic soils. The plants don’t look too bad either, I would hate for you to make it worse chasing symptoms.

6 Likes

I used guinea pig manure, since it’s a “cold” fertilizer it could just be added into the topsoil.

But yeah, they don’t look too unhappy yet, give them a bit before you do anything. I trust @ReikoX more than myself!

You can see on mine here over 2 weeks or so, the damaged leaves died off, but lots of flowers and new leaves are happy to fill in the space. I should have left it to veg longer, but I needed to get things moving. That considered, she’s only a bit smaller than the others in the tent. (And I was feeding water ph of 9, which I’m fairly sure was just locking out nutrients. So who knows which helped more, clean water or more fertilizer.)

3 Likes