James' Money-Pit Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Octopot!

Feed veg first 3 weeks after flip , plant NEEDS the N during that stage change to flower nutes week 4 jmho

2 Likes

I’ve juggled with that over the past couple grows. I’ve heard from both camps.
I asked that question specifically, and more often than not people say go with veg nutes for veg and Bloom nutes for flower. In my many months of growing(lol) I’ve questioned this especially during that three or so week transition period where they seem to want everything.
Of course I call Athena and they say go with Bloom nutes as soon as you switch.

1 Like

when the plant is stretching it’s creating leaf and stem not buds it needs the high concentration of N if you want to have a good stretch. @ifish can chime in maybe

2 Likes

So let me ask you this then @Jetdro Is this what you do for every grow?
When you do kick in the bloom nutrients, do you go with the schedule? Let’s say I decide to keep giving vegetation nutrients through week two… would I then begin week three Bloom nutrients? Much appreciated!

3 Likes

yes I always run in the first three weeks of veg formula. The plant isn’t making buds it’s growing stems and leaves so it needs the nitrogen to accomplish that

week four I give it half flour newts half veg nudes
Week five is the first week of full flower newts

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve often wondered about during my grows

3 Likes

which is about 3 to 4 weeks , i agree with you

3 Likes

Here’s whats in Athena Blended for Grow and Bloom:

Grow B
Total Nitrogen (N) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1%
0.8% Nitrate Nitrogen
0.2% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
Available Phosphate (P2O5) . . . . . . . 3%
Soluble Potash (K2O) . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5%
Magnesium (Mg) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.89%
0.89% Water Soluble
Magnesium (Mg)
Sulfur (S) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.3%
1.3% Combined Sulfur (S)
Copper (Cu) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.005%
0.005% Chelated Copper (Cu)

Grow A
Total Nitrogen (N) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4%
3.8% Nitrate Nitrogen
0.2% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
Soluble Potash (K2O) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1%
Calcium (Ca) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4.2%
Magnesium (Mg) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.19%
0.19% Water Soluble
Magnesium (Mg)
Boron (B) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.01%
Iron (Fe) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.06%
0.06% Chelated Iron (Fe)
Manganese (Mn) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.013%
0.013%
Chelated Manganese (Mn)
Molybdenum (Mo) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0007%
Zinc (Zn) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0045%
0.0045% Chelated Zinc (Zn)

Bloom B
Total Nitrogen (N) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.7%
0.5% Nitrate Nitrogen
0.2% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
Available Phosphate (P2O5) . . . . . . 6%
Soluble Potash (K2O) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5%
Magnesium (Mg) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.94%
0.94% Water Soluble
Magnesium (Mg)
Sulfur (S) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.3%
1.3% Combined Sulfur (S)
Copper (Cu) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.005%
0.005% Chelated Copper (Cu)

Bloom A
Total Nitrogen (N) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 4%
3.8% Nitrate Nitrogen
0.2% Ammoniacal Nitrogen
Soluble Potash (K2O) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 5%
Calcium (Ca) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 3.2%
Magnesium (Mg) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.17%
0.17% Water Soluble
Magnesium (Mg)
Boron (B) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.01%
Iron (Fe) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.06%
0.06% Chelated Iron (Fe)
Manganese (Mn) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.013%
0.013%
Chelated Manganese (Mn)
Molybdenum (Mo) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0007%
Zinc (Zn) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.0045%
0.0045% Chelated Zinc (Zn)

Just for arguments sake, looks like lots of Nitrogen in Athenas Bloom nutes…
Bloom nitrogen is just shy of Veg nitrogen.

CaMg has a bit as well
Total Nitrogen (N) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2%
2% Nitrate Nitrogen
Calcium (Ca) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 2.1%
Magnesium (Mg) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 1.1%
1.1% Water Soluble
Magnesium (Mg)
Iron (Fe) . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . 0.06%
0.06% Chelated Iron (Fe)

As much as I dive into shit, I havent even begun to know what nutes are needed, and when.

The thought of giving Veg nutes during the early weeks of flower has interested me since I started growing almost a year ago. Maybe it comes from my free spirit, maybe my aversion to authority and “by the book” rules and to forge my own path. But its poked at me for a while…

Gonna do it. At least two weeks, maybe three.

2 Likes

Don’t go for a set time , change to bloom when the plants tell you they now want it ie small crowns of flowers appearing 14-21 days after flip

The bottle feed Sheduals are a verrry basic guide ( they dont know what you growing ) , learning to read the plants will be more valuable to you and set you up to be a good grower ( the right mindset from the start ) , hit the ground running
: )

2 Likes

The greenness of the plant is also a factor to concider ie how much n is stored in leafs at end of 2 weeks and how much pk and low n your going to push for in rest of grow
Last thing you want is to fade out too quick ,or no fade at end , plant too dark

Lol more sleepless nights

3 Likes

Quick cam shot

For sure feeding again tonight. By the looks of it, Skywalker will be empty by the time I’m home. Blue Dream just hit the first line, so she will still have some in the res tonight.
Looks like I forgot to tuck the lower flap in last night. Forgot to close the tent windows as well. Kinda fell asleep on sofa last night and forgot the nightly protocol.

Going full-strength veg mix. Ive noticed them getting a bit yellow over the past few days. Think they want more nutes. Dont think its light burn, theyre around 700ppfd right now.

Last grow, Electrify was screaming for nutes and had no problem when given.

4 Likes

Getting BIG

Going to start even-steven with the reservoirs, and drain what little bit is left out of Skywalker and Blue Dream

Fed to 1,050 PPM or 2.1 EC

4 Likes

Good day to you Blue Dream

Good morning Ms Skywalker!

Trying to convince myself, I think. Been up since 3am. Decided to go in to work since I cant sleep through the pains.

Girls will be waking up soon and Skywalker has been praying since 4am or so. Blue Dream is almost always casually hangin low.

Skywalker Prayin :point_up_2:
Blue Dream Layin :point_down:

A proper good morning now that they are awake!

5 Likes

Praying is good and could be bad

If the lights are too close the leaves will pray to protect the lower branches from the heat !

So check the hight of the light and have a fan blowing at the top of the canopy

Just something to check just in case
Great under the skirt management nice :+1:

1 Like

Thanks! Yeah…
They need much more. No time since I flipped them kinda early.
Im going to do a week 1 of flower defoliation and some overdue pruning. Shouldnt be too late if I hit it this weekend.

They need much taken off and trained.

Blue Dream may have some damage from earlier. The tops arent doing as they should. Possibly stunted. But thats been since the tape measure fell and broke her. Been a struggle since then with nutes, light, etc. She was the big one before that.

I raised the light a few inches yesterday evening and lowered levels just a tad. Theyre both around 600-700ppfd now.

My other grows Ive compensated for trimming and defoliation skills by blowing much air around, lol. Two fans down low (below canopy), one just above light blowing down, and a 9" mounted high blowing down.
These girls got so much air, they’re dancing all day long!

2 Likes

Skywalker will not stop stretching

2 Likes

They will still double in size , at least. That Skywalker will take over the entire space. Good growing!

1 Like

Thanks Hashpants! I appreciate that!

Thats why I’ve gotta do a decent defoliation and trim for stem removals this weekend, Window is almost gone. I can do a decent defoliation again before week 3 is up, but to remove stems, I gotta move quick.

Too bad I didnt take clones, but I just dont need the stress and responsibility of that right now, but she’s a grower for sure!

1 Like

You can take clones weeks into flower. Take some and dip in hormex #8 and into a moist root riot . Throw in a solo cup and cover with a clear solo for a dome. It’s not tough.

2 Likes

Thats not it. Taking is easy enough. I just dont want to have them around, I just started the other grow with second tent. A few months ago I committed mass genocide :frowning_face:. Let all my girls go. Gonna go that way for a while. Straight up seed grows and maybe a cutting or two into Octopot if timing is right.

I lived in “Clone City” for a few months and got burned out. Need to take things slower.

If the LSD seed that I planted doesnt pop, Skywalker is an option for a last minute replacement.

2 Likes