James' Money-Pit Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Octopot!

Cool. How often do you do that? Is it just in veg/clone/seedling?
I know I can get this basic info off the web, but I do apprectiate the Octopot spectific comments :100:

Ive read to do it once every other week.

Thanks!

2 Likes

So I’m trying to think out this Droopy Blue Dream plant…
This fabric pot is definitely shorter than Skywalkers, and probably a bit more on the moist side due to that fact…
Maybe roots not getting enough Oxygen? Soil is just a bit over-saturated with water? Maybe as roots populate the reseroir and get the fresh oxygen they will help the plant leaves perk-up a bit?

I did see several roots making their way, so hopefully that will help. The photo below was taken last night

All I feel I can do is wait and see, being that she’s green and otherwise looking decent. Going to test PH in both reservoirs tonight,I think. Just to see

Just got home and after settling in I checked out roots and Blue Dream is definitely popping

Check it out

Also trying to teach Stan that he can retrieve Yellow-Ball from the laundry basket (as long as Mommy doesnt know :crazy_face:)

2 Likes

Out of curiosity, why spray with epsom?

I wouldn’t worry about droopy Blue Dream much. Is the soil too wet? Looks just a bit over-hydrated to me but I don’t know anything about octopots. I expect things will reach equilibrium over time, it is still young in her life.

1 Like

Just to be clear, Im not spraying or wanting to spray with Epsom now.
I was just asking because someone on this forum mentioned about spraying with Epsom salt. Couldnt remember where the post was,so I asked. Just a random thing that popped in my head at the time.
Ive gotten the impression that some might use it as part of their regular regime.

The only foliar spray I do is Athena Stack. I purchased some Foop foliar to use at some point, as well.
If there’s an advantage to using Epsom salt foliar spray that Octopot growers especially have noticed, then Im all for it!

Yeah. I was mentioning that earlier. I think because Blue Dreams Rocket Pot is a bit shorter than Skywalkers Rocket Pot, the percentage of water in there is higher.

I posted a photo ot Blue Dreams roots last night and they are definitely starting to multiply and hit the water, so hopefully see a change for the better.
The change in roots from Monday evening to Tuesday after work was pretty huge!

Ive seen nothing online that tells me Blue Dream should be a droopy plant.

The one thing I have read on several sites is Blue Dream can be VERY Nitrogen hungry, but I wouldnt think would come into play yet.

Why folder with Epsom when you can just put it in the feed ???

I’m not sure. Thats why I was asking…
I recall recently someone mentioning doing an Epsom foliar spray. I think it was @Papalag .
I just couldnt remember which thread it was.

Is there an advantage adding it to the tank directly vs foliar spray, or vice versa? SInce you brought it up… :slightly_smiling_face:
Or, if I have a complete feeding program, would I ever need to do a foliar spray of any kind?

The amount of epsom you need depends on how much mag is in tap and nutes
My tap is very soft 40ppm so I add calmag and Epsom to every feed

I couldn’t keep up if I was to folier with it

I know I need Epsom so I put it in every feed rather than wait to see def then try to fix it ( because of soft water )

3 Likes

That was me clones and seedlings love it
Never in flower ( I don’t like wet buds mold :hot_face:)
Epson salt is one
And kelp is another as well

I do add Epson salts to my feeding schedule

3 Likes

Good info. I use RO water 0ppm.

Thing is, Im not thinking about using it to take care of deficiencies. Its just a supplemental thing, isnt it?

Again, Ive never used Epsom salt. I was just wondering how Octogrowers were utilizing it as a foliar spray, since it was brought up to me earlier in a thread.
Im not married to the idea. Just trying to get more info from people using the same grow system Im using.

1 Like

I was almost positive! lol

So if its in your schedule, its not really a supplemental thing? Just part of routine.
If my Athena Blended schedule is working just fine, then no need for Epsom salt? I heard its supposed to help with intake of other things the plant needs

1 Like

Is here mag in Athena ?

1 Like

For sure! The only thing I’m not using with Athena Blended is IPM. Dont need it.

Really glad you asked! I just found this. Lots of good info at a glance.

CaMg Fertilizer containing nitrogen, calcium, magnesium, and iron.

Grow A Fertilizer containing nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, boron, iron, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc.

Grow B Fertilizer containing nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sulfur, and copper.

Bloom A Fertilizer containing nitrogen, potassium, calcium, magnesium, boron, iron, manganese, molybdenum, and zinc.

Bloom B Fertilizer containing nitrogen, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sulfur, and copper.

PK Fertilizer containing phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, sulfur.

Stack Fertilizer containing potassium. Derived from kelp extract.

Cleanse Hypochlorous acid 0.028%.

Balance Dual purpose product:
Primary: used to adjust pH of irrigation water.
Secondary: Contains potassium and silicon, which are plant nutrients.

Thats everything I’m using. Wow. Lots of stuff, lol.
Seen the SDS and labels Etc, but never seen those short descriptions. Kind of nice

3 Likes

Messing with the Camera modes, lol.
Just received a couple of new cameras from Amazon. Installed a 4th in the 2x4 and one set up in the 2x2.5 tent for its upcoming Octogrow

2 Likes

Looks like you got plenty of mag , why you see no mag def on past grows

Next step is to find out how much of the elements you use with hydrobuddy ( I only mention cuz you like to tinker ) keepin you busy
: )

2 Likes

You DO know me, lol!
So many projects though. I had to stop myself recently purchasing a 3D Printer. Just something else to suck up my limited time. I havent touched any of my guitars in months… I havent REALLY touched them in years :frowning_face:. Havent played out in forever.

No deficiencies noted in my two past grows. Athena has been amazing for me so far.

In fact, I think I might do a full-strength feeding tomorrow or Satruday. I think they may be hungry. Roots are REALLY starting to populate the reservoir.
Ive heard Blue Dream especially can have a huge appetite.

I’ll have to check out Hydrobuddy. Ive seen some spreadsheet in use to formulate feeding. Not sure if that was it.

1 Like

Here’s day 27.

Blue Dreams roots are looking pretty damn good!

Skywalker OG’s roots are really kicking in!

Feeding Time!

Planning to do full strength feeding in 5 gallons, so 2.5 gallons per plant. Gives me a little bit of room to thin out if needed. PH between 6.0 :and 6.3

Ended up giving 2 gallons each along with the roughly gallon already in each reservoir. By the time nutes mixed with whats in res, came to 700PPM in-res. Def lower than the 1050 recommended by Athena, but we’ll see how things go tomorrow and Saturday.

Looking at both plants, theyre starting to get light and dark shading like possible multiple deficiencies.
Hoping this feeding will do them well.

In other news, decided to take the Cannatrol plunge. Placed my order this afternoon, after much personal turmoil and debate :rofl:.

2 Likes

Saw my RH Skyrocketed on Skywalkers side. Wondering WTF now…

Ugh. Fan Leaf touching probe end :roll_eyes:

I think this weekend may be a good time to clear out a few leaves and possibly top. As long as the leaves start looking one shade of green again.

Gratuitous Stanlee shot. Kid is bored as fuuuudge…

And suffering from French Fry Separartion Anxiety :crazy_face:. Its a thing, really. look it up!

I cant believe how thick the stems are at day 28 from seed. Thicker than a pen.

Here’s a shot of “Droopy”

Never grown from seed before, so this is all new to me. I think this weekend may be a good time to clear out a few leaves and possibly top, provided the leaves start looking one shade of green again.

3 Likes

Saturday Funday! Wait… :ok_hand:

Took off a few leaves from Blue Dream and Skywalker OG. As long as they’re looking decent tomorrow, I may just top them.

Added the leftover gallon of nutrients along with Athena stack at 10 mL total. Each Reservoir should have about 3+ gallons plus the gallon added.

Also moved the pots a little bit closer together. You can see the plants stretching towards the center. Raised the humidifier to rest on top of Octopots

Skywalker OG is supposed to be a medium size plant, this one is definitely at least keeping up with Blue Dream at this point

5 Likes

Finally got a cheap mini-fridge. Now able to keep long-stored weed in Grove Bags or jars around 60F

That mini fridge is actually going upstairs to the Office/Guitar Room. The Cannatrol is going where this one is sitting now.

Ive heard conflcting views on storing weed in a fridge. I’ll be keeping it either in closed Grove bags with a Boveda 62 pack, or in sealed Mason jars with same.

Anyone with experiences good or bad? Whats the lowest temperature to store at for several months to a year? Ive heard not to go too low, but thats a highly-subjective term. I’d like it in the 40s, but ok with 60, and more ok with 50s. :vulcan_salute:

Yes, Im getting a Cannatrol, but that will be in use mostly for harvests, I believe. We’ll see what happens.

3 Likes