JohnnyPotseed’s Germination Technique

These are just some beans that’ve been traded to me. I figured show how I germinate since I see folks discuss so many different methods on here. Not that any one method is wrong, or better, or worse, there’s always more than one way to do pretty much anything. As long as the end result works well enough to make someone happy, that’s what really matters.

9 Likes

Right at 48hrs, I’ve already started putting them babies into soil. At first I use the same thing they germinated in, pure worm castings, wet down. Later they’ll go into my own mix of soil.

24 Likes

Hey friend! but these solo cups only have the worm castings, correct? Only after the solo cups they go to your prepared soil? I’m impressed! Thanks!

3 Likes

that crossed my mind, super boost from the get go! would you agree @JohnnyPotseed !? Thanks.

4 Likes

I might have to try sprouting in pure worm castings side by side with light warrior, and see what happens :thinking:

Thanks for sharing-

8 Likes

they’re 5oz cups (small) it doesn’t need much to get them started. Yes, that’s right @Abbbian, worm castings only, wet down…same as they germinated in. Once they get up a bit, then I transfer them into my own mix of compost & living soil with perlite added for aeration.

10 Likes

They’re really starting to explode by this morning, day 3. Wet the worm castings down some more as it was drying out a bit. Then put some into cups.

25 Likes

posted wrong lol

Time for the Thursday morning update/pics lol

all doing well :+1: :sunglasses:
You can’t let em sit in the castings for long, they’ll try to root into it.

19 Likes

Hey @JohnnyPotseed, still a minor doubt… when you transplant them to the next pots, they will still have all the worm castings around it in the newer pot, right? It seems obvious though it also tells me the root will have that chunk of worm castings for the rest of its life, even as its nutrients will eventually be depleted through watering. Hope I was clear! :slightly_smiling_face: Thanks!

1 Like

I sure do… Don’t you mix worm castings into your standard everyday soil you put plants in for their entire cycle? I sure do…I use my compost/living soil, worm castings and perlite. That’s what I’ve used for decades, and it works pretty damn good for me!
Worm casting is nothing but PURE DIRT… that’s all. The ‘dirt’ of the planet earth is millennium’s worth of worms working their magic lol Along with insect poop etc lol

16 Likes

Yep, but there’s always a concern about them tending to be too dense! Guess I got it! Thanks! :laughing:

1 Like

By the time they’re into 12" pots, that little bit of pure worm castings is pretty much blended.

4 Likes

I let them sit in a cup of tap water
For 8 hours,then into a a plastic take away tub with wet kitchen roll,throw it in the cupboard works 99% of the time lol,one of the reason I always give seeds 2 weeks to open,

If they don’t open in 2 weeks their
Not going to open

11 Likes

OK, day 4 and things are still popping in the tray of worm castings…

42 out of 55 seeds are already in cups and most of them are standing nicely and opening up.

20 Likes

Day 5 update…
The last group of seeds were a bit stubborn, but they’re also starting to come out of the husk.
First pic is 12 I put in 2 days ago since I had plenty of room. They’re coming out nicely also. Put 4 of them into cups this morning. Also put another of the original group into cup, making it 43 of 55 so far… Couple more will be ready for cupping tomorrow. Everything is going smooth and easy.

16 Likes

This morning update, 5 more of the second batch went into cups, also 1 of the last batch to pop out the original 55 I dropped. All except a couple are standing tall and spreading their wings in the worm casting cups.

17 Likes

Only 1 of the seedlings I put into the worm casting cups has ‘fallen’ to the wayside, the rest are perking up nicely.

6 Likes

Wow! You’re growing a forest!! Nice! :herb: :palm_tree: :deciduous_tree: :evergreen_tree:

1 Like

I told ya lol this is the best method I’ve found! almost 100% so far and still popping so it could be full germination. After I put them into the cups, there’s usually 1 or 2 that dont make it for their finals but hey shit happens, I ain’t mad about losing 1 or 2 lol

9 Likes