Just a quick question šŸ˜ƒ

When topping a plant, and then wanting to top a second timeā€¦. Is there a minimum growth before you top the new tops? Like ā€œ at least two nodesā€ or something?

An alternative to topping twice is to tie down the two main shoots and let the lower growth shoot up.

I donā€™t always do it this way but itā€™s a good strategy.

4 Likes

The rule of thumb I have heard people use is that if youā€™ve topped it N times, let it grow N+1 nodes before topping again. So for the 2nd top, cut between the 2nd and 3rd nodes past the 1st top, and for the 3rd top, cut between the 3rd and 4th nodes after the 2nd top. I personally havent needed to top more than twice but thatā€™s dependent on your environment and what youā€™re trying to do.

2 Likes

Thanks @GlassJoeGrows and @Foreigner, I may do both. But just wanted to know so I can experiment a little. Technically only my 3rd grow so trying to experience a few different things to build my knowledge base :grin:

1 Like

Oh one more questionā€¦ is topping males a thing? If your wanting pollen but wanting to keep the plant shorter?

1 Like

Sure you can top males. I too everything before they show and some end up male :+1:

1 Like

Excellent :blush: thank you much :blush:

Yeah it should be fine, people just arenā€™t as worried about structure with males. With females youā€™re trying to manage the structure of the plant to have a smaller number of buds that are more exposed to light so that you donā€™t end up with larf, but when youā€™re shaking all the pollen out of the pollen sacs and sifting it anyways, it doesnā€™t matter as much if you have a bunch of loosely clustered sacs or fewer tightly clustered ones.

2 Likes

Always top my males if Iā€™m looking for pollen.

1 Like

Also works great for multiple dusting as you can just skip of a top/cluster and bring it in and tap, pollen galore, and the rest can be taken as needed within a window

My main motivation to top is keeping it a little more inconspicuous lol

But just talking about it Iā€™m starting to wonder on my planā€¦. It may not be a smart one.

I have a greenhouse and growing my fems in itā€¦. I was gonna put the male out in my garden ā€¦ but starting to wonder if my intake fans will suck in some pollen and mess up my fems ā€¦ā€¦:thinking:

Ya I wouldnā€™t if you have intake direct to inside, you can make a small isolation box out of a Rubbermaid (clear) and use a small piece of furnace filter for airflow, keep the male inside and it will collect all the pollen then open it elsewhere, carefully scrape up and spray down everything afterwards with a light bleach and water solution to ensure itā€™s no longer viable )what is left lingering)

@TopShelfTrees1 im not sure how to do that? Iā€™d have to have a light in the isolation box? And I couldnā€™t plant it in the garden thenā€¦. :thinking:

1 Like

If youā€™re going to have an outdoor male be prepared to chop it at the first signs of sacs opening or somehow isolate/bag it. Itā€™s wind-pollinated and the pollen can carry a long distance, in addition to getting stuck to your clothing or skin.

With this last batch of seed I did not let the male release pollen and collect the loose pollen, I chopped the whole deal right as sacs started to open, hung the plant to dry, and then shucked all the sacs off the plant in a more controlled environment and sifted the results.

It yields some plant material mixed in with the pollen, but the pollen seems to have been viable, it was less headache than worrying about it releasing viable pollen outdoors, and in many situations people end up cutting their pollen with flour anyways because using it directly consumes a lot of pollen (more than necessary to pollinate the plant).

I have a very lazy male segregation protocol but under no circumstances would I have a flowering male openly spewing near plants I want to keep sensi.

How much pollen do you need. Inside beside a window might be sufficient.

@Foreigner yeah ā€¦. Starting to doubt my plan lol at first I figured itā€™s outside and fems are insideā€¦ā€¦ but greenhouse sucks in outside air lol :crazy_face: see just posting about it cleared up my silly notions :blush:

@GlassJoeGrows maybe Iā€™ll have to get a tentā€¦. Dang itā€¦.

@Ghgrower when you see the first balls on males you can chop as much as you want off. leave it one branch and a node of growth. doesnā€™t matter. chop the whole thing and take clones, deal with it later. if the male starts throwin balls all over the place and shits out itā€™s not a male you want anyways.

I personally havenā€™t bothered with a separate tent for males but thatā€™s just me. The male Afghani pollen I harvested in the spring didnā€™t seem to pollinate any of the females I ran at the same time (no seeds in anything Iā€™ve smoked from that batch) so I think it worked out.

If you want to really maximize the amount of pollen you collect and the quality of the pollen, youā€™ll get more of the fine yellow pollen by letting the sacs open and collecting the pollen they deposit, but you donā€™t have to let it do that.

Iā€™ve whacked the males at the first sign of opening sacs before they had the chance to let rip and the pollen was still viable. Moisture is the main enemy of pollen, so if you let it dry, you can separate the dried pollen sacs from the plant, then sift the pollen from the sacs. Itā€™s also much easier to find a hospitable environment for a male once heā€™s dead.

Hmmm I donā€™t know now lol last thing I want Is to ruin my femsā€¦. Iā€™m sure Iā€™m being more paranoid then I need to be but I just havenā€™t dealt with it yetā€¦ā€¦

If you donā€™t have an immediate use for the pollen you could just cut clones of everything while itā€™s still in veg, and then just trash the father plant and flower out the male clone for pollen after youā€™ve harvested the females.

1 Like