Just hit a wall -- an electrical one!

LOL Thank you.

If it is the type with a built in Timer just plug em in great, but if its the type with an external timer required be sure to check the cable for timer and lights they will be wired like that for sure.

I should know better but have been zapped while plugging the multi power input cable (Octpus) types in before. If the timers are in the on position the other plug(s) end becomes live not just the socket end. If your wall sockets have switches turn them to off while plugging those units in.

1 Like

Well the Nanolux CMH ballasts I have has a RTU port/plug… . The acronym is Remote Terminal Unit , I dont know if your’s has something like that.

Anyways, I dont need a external timer, I can control each ballast wirelessly via the DTU, Data Transfer Unit. So each ballast can be controlled via smartphone app or the cloud. NCCS.

I’m not trying to confuse the OP, just mentioning that some ballasts have network capability if one chooses.

2 Likes

Very knowledgable people in here. Good quality information.

2 Likes

Sounds interesting, could you please elaborate more on it? Maybe we could do a separate topic…

How many plants can u run under that cmh

There is no “one number fits all”…

That depends on grow style. Compare 18 plants vs 100 plants in same space under 600W.

2 Likes

I am pretty sure the plant count would not matter as much as the total area the light covered. For instances, a 315 watt CMH could light a 4 x 4 area. In a 4 x 4 area, you could put 10 small plants or 1 large one.

1 Like

2 tents is nothing.

For 6,000 watts I ran a #4-3 cable from a 60 amp breaker on the main to a six breaker load center and ran those to outlets. Good for 7,000watts 120v 14,000 watts 240V
$20 for a 60 amp breaker , $7 a foot for cable, $24 for the load center box.$6 each breaker and some 12-3 romex, outlets,boxes and covers all done under $300

Getting an electrician is a good idea if you dont know this stuff.

1 Like

7000watts divided by 120V = 58.33amps if you are running a 60 amp breaker, make sure it is a 100% constant use capacity or it is to small. Remember for constant loads, it is only 80% of the rated amperage. not to mention the "super lumens function on most ballasts. so lets say 6 1000 watt lights at super lumens = 6600watts / 120v = 55amps

for a 56amp constant load you need a 70amp breaker.

4 Likes

Like I said at the start that set up was for running 6000 watts. the 4-3 wire itself will be safe running the 7,000 watts. I went more then needed as I ran more 4,000 watts of lights, pumps and fans and room to spare.

And that doesn’t even cover inrush current, I’m not talking about a Canadian 3 man band

2 Likes

Hi guys, I’m new here, was an old member and now I’m back.
I’m an apprentice 3rd year electrician, according to a fully licensed electrician I still haven’t earned the right to call myself an ‘electrician’…

I have worked in both residential and commercial electricity and much prefer doing commercial: hospitals, shopping malls, grocerie stores, farms etc…

I actually took my electricians course because of this indoor growing hobby of ours, started growing with 1000w hps and 400w hps lights at the age of 17 and like many of you figured out that running big power required a minium of electrical knowledge…

I was influenced and inspired by a guy named mad penguin on icmag forums to become an actual electrician.

Altought I havent worked as an electrician in almost 2 years because I prefer the cannabis industry and love the freedom of being my own boss and making my own decisions I still have all the knowledge and experience I gained working in electricity.

I’m very knowledged in the equipment used for growing so I can help you guys out, it will be a pleasure to help this community and help newbies avoid burning their house or appartment down :wink:

5 Likes

I cringe every time i see a electrical cord run on the floor of a tent. :fearful:

2 Likes

I have a lot of experience and a college degree that says I am an Industrial electrician, your help will be welcomed by many who need guidance

4 Likes

And that’s a fact jack

2 Likes

Look at viva_mexico calculations, that would be the first step in putting together a grow room that requires more then a single 1000 w lamp.
It’s called the law of ohm and they are a few simple math equations that will allow you to calculate everything from breaker size, wire size and total amount of amps being drawn and you can easily convert watts into amps to easily calculate your total load. Most equipment and electronics use watts to rate the amount of power it uses but in the electrical industry we use amps to calculate this.

2 Likes

Hello BlackMarketMeds

I started this thread several weeks with a simple truth. . . I was at a lost about what to do about an electrical issue. As a new grower, my concept of electricity is “plug the socket into the wall, and it comes on.” Especially with the power consumption of a grow room, a grower MUST expand beyond that knowledge base. This is difficult to do when security is at issue.

I don’t want a multitude of electricians, plumbers, and carpenters inspecting my grow, so most issues I am learning to take care of myself. It is nice to have someone on our forum with your knowledge basis. Welcome back!

CannaRose

3 Likes

Thanks bud, I understand what you’re going through, it’s not that simple when you’re starting out, it’s a mix of horticulture, plumbing and electricity which are all complicated on their own…

Good luck.

1 Like

One of the things i like about commercial growing is all of the trades being used in the entire process. One of them is electrical. Something i never thought i would have to know for growing was all of the electrical formulations and what you need to know when you start from 0. For example, my high voltage lines are 23,000 volts. From there, i have fuses, and than a step down transformer. Down two 240volts. Something i didn’t know until i got the ac was how to get a single phase 240v from a 3phase 240v transformer .

I have a 3 phase transformer. Each leg to ground is 120v. Leg to leg is 240v.

1 phase is 120
2 phases is 240

My mini split 5ton is mono phase 240v.

A- a two pole breaker rated at the max amperage of the ac and than the two phases join at the unit to make 1 240v

1 Like

Your English is pretty good but I am having trouble understanding the question and what is a 5ton mini split, and then are you actually in Mexico?

2 Likes