Kashmir POK Expansion 2024

Oh brother.
Not sure what is up with these plants. NONE of them have roots reaching the reservoirs.
They are starting to starve, and yesterday were drooping badly from needing water.
So I had to do as top-watering just to keep them going.
I’ve never had plants take so long to find the res.

If the roots don’t find their way down very soon they are not gonna make it.
:roll_eyes:

14 Likes

Maybe they’re just super slow rooters and need some more encouragement and nutes from the top side to make their way down.
Can you tell of the bottom of the media is damp and wicking up the water? I haven’t used any type of octopot but I’d assume the roots wouldn’t go through dry soil just “hoping” to find a wet pocket. Maybe they need a good soak to the bottom to encourage the roots to work all the way down?
Just spitballing, but I don’t see any reason they should die :fearful:

2 Likes

what is your light schedule ?

They’re on an 18/6 schedule. Which is usually how I run my vegging photo plants, and all my autos.
It’s weird. I’m hoping the find the res soon. :face_with_head_bandage:

1 Like

perhaps too much light for the kashmiri’s…

fyi

Sunshine & Daylight Hours in Srinagar, Jammu And Kashmir, India

• On average sunlight hours in Srinagar, Jammu And Kashmir range from 2h 00’ for every day in January to 8h 00’ for every day in July.
  • The longest day of the year is 14h 16’ long and the shortest day is 9h 43’ long.
4 Likes

/ 1

Had this issue with a few landrace selections in the past. Two that stand out in my memory did exceptionally well when I used nutrient film tech and let the roots run shallow but over a wide area. I came to understand natural selection favored the plants that grew this way as the area they hailed from was essentially a top soil only a few inches deep over a large rock quarry. I used flat gutter extensions and a layer of felt to create a contained cap mat, worked like a big flat wick essentially. The other configuration was fed by a pump to multiple drip lines at one end, trickling a film layer down a gradient on a large, shallow, drip pan used for oil in a bike garage typically.
The all responded well to some growth stimulation I eventually incorporated into my standard procedure for starting seeds that benefits from Aspirin, triacontonal (found in alfalfa meal), kelp meal, EWC and aloe. I combined these with a soln of Real Growers Recharge left under aeration for a couple days to make a very effective seedling tea. I use this to hydrate the peat pellets and fertigation until they are ready for nutes.
If I’m starting in coco I use this same mix but start with a soln of master blend or Jack’s plus cal mag diluted to around 200 ppm.
Recently I had incredible growth using coco mat liners layered under the pots or bags the plants were started in. I simply put a layer of digested super soil mix in between the mats and the roots exploded into it.

I share this enthusiasm and have a few tricks I can share to help, and a few pit falls to avoid should you care to discuss. My current set up is using the surface Blu mat on these amazing cap mats made by sustainable village. They are next level stuff that mitigates issues that can be problematic. They are key to developing a sort of hybrid (organic/synthetic) set up by suspending living soil over the mat and allowing the roots to dangle down to the mat like a shallow Kratke where they can fertigate a mild hydro soln. I’m still feeling it all out but so far it seems to give the grower additional control to maximize specific events like bud set at the flip by tweeking the ratios of the synthetic component. It’s also been beneficial when using a PK boost without buggering up the organ1ic balance established in the pot. More work and study is required here to call it a win, but it’s showing potential

9 Likes

If I see something like the size of the plants and the size of the substrate, plus the yellowing leaves, I can see that you have a problem that generates evaporation and the salts that are in your irrigation water. This is affecting the pH of the soil and despite having nitrogen available, the plant cannot use it because the pH is blocking it. If you fix this problem the plants will grow

1 Like

That’s very weird to see them that way. Just a thought in addition to everything else that has been mentioned. In my experience the Kashmirs don’t have incredibly deep root structures, and at least from what the pics look like they will have to go pretty deep into the medium before hitting the reservoir.

With only four plants it might be a lot to risk, but what if you were to actually downsize the pot on one of them, maybe making the medium shallower by half, or just remove whatever medium is between the bottom of the root structure and the rez?

I don’t know a lot about hydro or octo growing, so maybe this is a bad idea, but at the very least this would also give you a look at the roots which will probably have some diagnostic value in itself.

3 Likes

The root system might be the issue.
I’m going to maybe have to give them another top watering with some nutrient solution to keep them going for a lot longer than normal…

Most plants roots find the reservoir within 7-10 days. These have been in the octopots for 18 days now… :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

The plants are doing ok. But still, NONE yet have roots into the reservoirs.
I’m top feeding them with the same nutrient solutions and they seem content with that. Im letting the bags go very dry for several days, hoping it would force them to explore deeper for more water. But they seem content with the desert-like conditions they are living in.

I’m going to give them another week, if they still have not found the res… I’m going to re-pot them into 2 gallon bags with regular soil, and flower them that way. :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

Is there water in the reservoir? It’s time to stop top feeding and fill the reservoir till it barely touches the netpot and allow the roots to get in there. Roots will grow towards moisture.

1 Like

Yes. There is water in the res, filled to about halfway up the netpot. The clay pellets are damp and a small amount of moisture is being wicked up through the pellets.

I had stopped watering them completely after their initial transplant watering, but they began to die a few weeks ago.
So it became clear that they needed a little extra incubation, so I gave them a bit of nutes in the top (3 times total now)

But these plants have been sitting there for almost a full 30 days now. This is the only time I’ve ever seen this happen in an octopot.

The medium is 100% coco. So there is zero nutrients, and very little water retention. But they seem to be totally content growing in barren desert-like conditions. It’s very odd.
Seems like they just have the most shallow root system of any strain I’ve ever grown
:roll_eyes:

7 Likes

Ok. The 4 Kashmir plants were removed from their octopups and put into 1 gallon cloth pots with regular soil. The root balls on these plants was very small and tight. They just weren’t reaching out to fill the containers and find the reservoir. Weird. Hopefully now they will start getting bigger, and in a couple weeks I can switch them to flower.
This project is already like a month behind schedule… :roll_eyes:

17 Likes

Good save! :metal:t2: I wish for a quick recovery :pray:t2:

Pz :v:t2:

5 Likes

some landraces just can’t handle hydro, they aren’t adapted to it like our modern genetics that have had generations to adapt to that style of cultivation. I bet they will do better like this.

11 Likes

I feel ya on the frustration of being behind schedule… I started some autos the coldest week of the winter and we had a bad cold snap for a couple weeks straight, didn’t have a way to adequately heat the tent or basement lung room and they were so stunted a week in I thought I lost them and popped a few more, sorta got the heat a bit better and they’re going, but veryyyyyy slow… over 3 weeks since popping and they’re just showing their first set of 5 bladed leaves :grimacing:
Hoping since they’re autos they’re not too stunted but we’ll see.

Cheers to you for sticking it out with these POK plants, funny how these landraces behave being brought to an alien environment, even though it’s one we supposedly make perfect for them!

5 Likes

Pakistan occupied Kashmir.:grin:

5 Likes

Yes, kashmir is a war region with deaths happening every day. India really wants azad back. Especially now when China is also pressuring to occupy land from India. I worked with a dude who grew up in kashmir(the Indian side) and he told me so much about the culture there. He was so surprised how we see cannabis here in Sweden. He told me that it grew literally everywhere, openly and wild in India. Especially in regions that weren’t urbanised. Apparently, everyone smokes in India aswell.

I’ve asked him about strains, but he said that it’s just weed. Nobody really cares about variety.

Pz :v:t2:

11 Likes

Makes sense that if it grows everywhere… noone would name it. They get names when they get privatized and sold.

4 Likes

Smart man. A stitch in time saves nine. Best to do what you did now rather than later. I’m sure with a little doing these will do just fine using hydro. Takes a couple/few generations.

6 Likes