Keeping regular growing reservoir or cloner COOL

Venturing into aero cloning I’ve had the slow water temp rise from the pump no matter how long intervals are. I started using cooler sticks, but it didn’t last long enough. I needed a bunch of ice packs to cycle through, so I found this product and I wanted to pass it along since these are long lasting dry ice packs that you can custom cut or soak the entire sheet

Find it at Amazon

Sheet pack

Cut slowly and carefully down the center

Simple 5 min soak

It’s now ready for the freezer. They can be used the next day, but to be block firm give it 36 hrs

Now this pack is ready. And here is the water thermometer, ready ? WATCH

About 45 mins later you now have this

6-9 hrs later

and will be slow to rise back up but you can have chilled water for about 25 bucks. Now I’m only using one strip for 2 gall bucket. So larger reservoirs will need several or larger packs per cycle, but the package has 10 sheets (40 strips), so I believe it has enough to keep frozen while others are used per day, so there’s always a frozen pack ready to drop in. As I said this is better than fill up water ice packs and the blue coolant type, rapid plunge and long lasting chilled water. DO NOT use these packs in their natural packaging. The polymer will keep absorbing after thawed out in water, so make sure it sealed in another bag or remove it before it’s completely soft.

Update : BEST and SAFEST way to use these is vac and seal the pack in Foodsaver bags. I’ve learned the polymer keeps absorbing water after its thawed, causing it to leak out. Being vac and sealed prevents this.

I hope this useful for OGer’s having trouble w higher res temps to avoid dreaded Pythium

1 Like

I’ve never had problems with my cloners…my cloners are all 1 gal. or less…I find theres no need for a big reservoir…don’t let the size fool you I’ve rooted well over 3K cuttings on my cloning shelf…these cloners were constantly on for 18+ years…

Smallest rooted cuttings

3 Likes

@PhilCuisine Nice DYI set up. I might have try to doing that one on the right. I didn’t mean just cloners though, this is also for regular growing reservoirs, that can’t keep cool because of the heat issues or lack of ventilation. So it’s mainly for those struggling to keep their res temps down. I’ll use half sheet for the 12 gall Superponics reservoir and maintain a cool 72-73. Without, the pump slowly heats the water every time it’s run to feed.

1 Like

Bigger isn’t always better .