Known Dominant and Recessive Cannabis traits

I wanted to start a thread to help breeders and those interested in creating their own crosses to identify and discuss breedable traits for Cannabis…
Hopefully we can create a list we can compile and edit without having to go through all the posts as well…

Dominant Genetic Traits

• Photoperiod

Recessive Genetic Traits

• Autoflowering
  • Webbed Leaf
11 Likes

Rooted…

Are you breeding? Creating any Landrace Indica sativa crosses? Have you Identified any traits that you know to be dominant or recessive? This is meant for those who breed and doing crosses…It’s a start…but I’m sure you’ll agree…“the less than nothing” you’ve added doesn’t push this along…chuckle

Some other examples of cannabis traits.:

• Purple vs Green leaf
  • Calyx: Leaf ratio’s dense vs sparse
  • Tall and Wispy vs Short and Stout
  • Trichome density.
  • Cannabinoid compositions
  • Traits Codominant or Incomplete Dominant
  • Photoperiod durations.
  • Terpenes

I wanted to start a thread to help breeders and those interested in creating their own crosses to identify and discuss breedable traits for Cannabis…
Hopefully we can create a list we can compile and edit without having to go through all the posts as well…

Dominant Genetic Traits

• Photoperiod

Recessive Genetic Traits

• Autoflowering
  • Webbed Leaf

…:and how about Terpene profiles? (Some growers say certain strains just over power whatever they’re bred to…I believe some have mentioned certain Kush’s)

I’ve merely mentioned a few as examples that I know to be true as I’ve been breeding strains…If I factually knew more…I would have put them on here…

Another example: Breeding a High CBD Hemp cultivar with a (high THC /Low CBD strain) should give you Mendel’s a traditional distribution of crossing two Heterozygous parents…resulting in 25% High THC progeny, 50% THC/CBD blend progeny, 25% High CBD progeny.

Another thing I’ve noticed on some of my plants…“Auto-topping”…plant will top itself…Is that a breedable trait?

What known genetic influences can you add?

Toast

11 Likes

You have my interest. :eye:

Cheers
G

4 Likes

From Robert Clark, Marijuana Botany (p81, breeding chapter)
List of Favorable Traits of Cannabis in
Which Variation Occurs

1. General Traits
    a) Size and Yield b) Vigor c)Adaptability d) Hardiness e) Disease and Pest Resistance f) Maturation g)
    Root Production h) Branching i) Sex
  2. Seedling Traits
  3. Leaf Traits
  4. Fiber Traits
  5. Floral Traits
    a) Shape b) Form c) Calyx Size d) Color e) Cannabinoid Level f) Taste and Aroma g) Persistence of
    Aromatic Principles and Cannabinoids h) Trichome Type i)Resin Quantity and Quality j) Resin Tenacity k)
    Drying and Curing Rate I)Ease of Manicuring m) Seed Characteristics n) Maturation o) Flowering p)
    Ripening q) Cannabinoid Profile
  6. Gross Phenotypes of Cannabis Strains

He details each of these. If you haven’t yet absorbed this book, I highly recommend it.

14 Likes

Hey AllOra
Thanks for the heads up…I havent seen that before I’ll have to track it down :+1:

7 Likes

You’ll find links to pdf “copies” here on OG. They are good for checking it out, if libraries are too old-school (aka germy.) I fight the urge to post pages from it answering or reframing people’s questions all the time.

10 Likes

Here’s another Cannabis article I came across discussing genetics…including Polyploid.

I was poking around too to track down genetic predisposition of hollow vs solid stems. Most claim hollow stemmed varieties to be more potent…
I’m running some f2’s of a webbed strain I’m working on…Most of the stems are hollow that I’ve found while topping, but have found a few that had a solid core…

https://www.hempbasics.com/hhusb/hh4bot.htm

5 Likes

You don’t see the irony in that completely useless statement at all, eh?

@MrToast good idea, this will be useful for people looking to isolate traits!

2 Likes

Beacher…

chuckle…I do.

Cheers :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Also I’m sure alot of these traits haven’t been properly documented, but by going through some of the old stories of people breeding famous strains it might be possible to discern dominant/recessive traits.

Like if someone was breeding for purple color and they logged the generations it should be obvious to a knowledged person whether or not it’s dominant/recessive based on which generations it showed up in.

3 Likes

@Heritagefarms
Hearing that you too may have keen interest in the genetics of Cannabis…and just wanted to give you the heads up on the thread.

Cheers

1 Like

Good thread brother. I will be listening to what other people have to say. You never stop learning.

3 Likes

Thx buddy…
I enjoy genetics from school…long…long ago.:grimacing:
I know there are a few people here, far smarter than I…Hopefully we can stimulate some good conversation and share ideas.

Regards

2 Likes

Hi @AllOra, thanks for that ref.
I have added Clark’s traits to a plant ‘check list’ I’ve been working on.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Good link @MrToast!
Starts off a little thick and turgid but got very interesting in the last sections on light and rejuvenation.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

‘Starts off a little thick and turgid’

DON’T WE ALL!! :drum:

2 Likes

Holy fuck this is funny:

Selection of staminate (male) parents always presents a problem when breeding for cannabinoid content. Staminate plants usually express the same ratios of cannabinoids as their pistiliate (female) counterparts but in much lower quantities, and they are rarely allowed to reach full maturity for fear of seeding the pistillate portion of the crop. A simple bioassay for THC content of staminate plants is performed by leaving a series of from three to five numbered bags of leaves and tops of various prospective pollen parents along with some rolling papers in several locations frequented by a steady repeating crowd of marijuana smokers. The bag completely consumed first can be considered the most desirable to smoke and possibly the most psychoactive.

8 Likes

That is funny…
Gotta rely on the opinion of those who know…right!? :slight_smile:

4 Likes