Landraces and heirloom

some satties have very looong trichomes, BUT those are just one of 4 TYPES of trichomes, infact there are also smaller trichomes at every given Cannbis cultivar.
And i remeber that infact Sativas have from the "shorter Type Trichomes " an unusual short trichome Stalk.
Nice .

1 Like

Yeah, sativas have shorter resin stalks.

The reason water hash works is the ice.
Reading the original patent, one can see its the ice that makes the resin fragile enough to snap off the plant material.
In fact, just ice is superior to water and ice. Then agitate.

4 Likes
  1. Bulbous trichomes 10-30 micrometers
  2. Capitate-Sessile trichomes 25-100 micrometers
  3. Capitate-Stalked trichomes 50-500 micrometers (most abundant)

Theres 3 types of trichomes romano. You obviously have a drive to gather knowledge and make sense of things. If you develop your ability to put the info you find into larger historic processes and work on your knowledge of camnabis chemistry, you could really get somewhere.

Dirt wizard, been loving your posts. You are a wealth of knowledge!

6 Likes

So I am sure the people here who are actively looking for landrace stuff on instagram have run across the various people who are working to gather genetics from pakistan, afghanistan, india etc.
What is known about the legitimacy of these vendors? There are a few posts where the people talk about their varieties and show pictures of them, but then multiple posts talking about people stealing their identity, doing bad deals, etc that make nme unsure of who to look at.

For instance, I was talking with afghan.landrace.seeds and he was offering a variety of selections, around 22, for a price of 1000 seeds for 3500 (currency not specified). says he has delivered to different countries no problem, etc and we could arrange a sale for smaller quantiites if i were interested.

I would like to buy more directly from a farmer than a seedbank or westerner or is making the real money off my purchase. but that’s who i know to have been proven relaible because of their feedback on these forums.

The thought of growing seed that was grown right in afghanistan or pakistan one year and then comes to me the next is just wild and I want to begin seeing who is reliable enough for me to chance some money on. thanks to everyone

afghanlandraceseeds (@afghan.landrace.seeds) • Instagram photos and videos

INDIAN LANDRACE EXCHANGE™ (@irrazinig) • Instagram photos and videos

@paklandracexchange • Instagram photos and videos

@raisaniweed • Instagram photos and videos

1 Like

Couple more things from this South African guy Craig Paterson whose thesis is a few posts up, he went on to become a post-doc and maybe professor of history at Rhodes University, and an anti-racism and cannabis legalization campaigner:

One easy trick for research that I wanted to share with folks is this, when you find a neat article, paper, book, etc, look up the author on a professional academic database. You’ll both see their whole scholarly publication CV with links and one later deeper, you’ll see who’s citing their works and what those people are writing about. Think of it like researching a foundational strain and then following the accessions and reproductions down the line to the seeds we have now. So take Barney Warf, who’s a geographer who seems to have just written that one history of cannabis, his other papers are really interesting (to me) but not relevant here, he writes a lot about censorship and psychogeography and telecommunications up through the internet. But if we follow the 100+ citations of that cannabis geography paper, it gets quite interesting:

https://scholar.google.com/scholar?oi=bibs&hl=en&cites=17080059139438791303&as_sdt=5

That gets us cool papers like these relevant to discussions of landraces and cannabis distribution in antiquity from a bunch of different academic fields,all from the first three pages of results. That’s what’s neat and powerful about citations, they bring you back and forth through the different disciplines on the threads of research and acknowledgement that the researchers themselves are following.

https://www.science.org/doi/full/10.1126/sciadv.abg2286

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1544319119304285

https://www.science.org/doi/full/10.1126/sciadv.aaw1391

5 Likes

As usual it was an @Upstate post that came to mind:

3 Likes

Im attempting a trade with PakistanLandraceExchange.
Im waiting for his seeds to send first. Couole weeks and it seems like he didnt send.
Also, he spammed the fuck out of me with hundreds of pointless pics of seeds sprouting. No pics of any successful grows, just closet op pics.
Not looking good, but not giving up yet.

3 Likes

Naturally, hence my comment on temperatures :wink: But I’d say “the reason water hash works so well”. afaik you don’t need freezing temperatures to make dry sift hash, even if it would help

Here’s something to consider when dealing with someone from that region. You may not be dealing directly with him. It may be his nephew or a tech savvy relative that is recording the videos and operates the social media. Those farmers are not always well educated and don’t possess the command of the English language. Those farmers often have several young people working for them, that work as a portal to the Western world.

5 Likes

Thats a very good point. Thanks.

1 Like

This is a link to a 1974 journal article by Brian Du Toit entitled “Cannabis Sativa in Sub-Saharan Africa”

Thank you @royal

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing that excerpt. DuToit states cannabis is a social plant and spread solely through human networks, but that adopts the closed minded view against nature’s own intelligence and distribution networks. Cool.

Most of the research on ancient cannabis movement is stuck in that last millennium. Let’s go back to the FIRST millennium. There is one group that most researchers continue to leave out of the mix. Enter The Dragons… :dragon_face::dragon:
Zhang Xiang, an author who has written about several ancient Chinese-African relations research issues, has also noted that the country called “Dou Le” mentioned in the classical Chinese text, Hou Han Shu Xi Yu Zhuan was the famous Adulis harbour in ancient Aksum, Ethiopia. Its envoy arrived at Luo Yang in 100 AD, which was an important milestone in the history of Chinese-African relations.
There are records that date back to the Tang Dynasty (618-907 AD). Wealthy merchants travelled on their own dime(not the kingdoms money) to the Horn of Africa. You already know… hemp seeds changed hands on both sides. Plants were grown and buds were harvested and smoked.

Chinese knowledge about East Africa during the Tang Dynasty (618-907) comes primarily from the Ching-hsing Chi (“Record of Travels”) and Yu-yung Tsa –tsu (“Assorted Dishes from Yu-yang”). During the Sung Dynasty (960-1279), most of the information was recorded in the Chu-fan-chih (“Gazetteer of Foreigners”) and Ling-wai Taita (“Information from Beyond the Mountains”). Further evidence for the early contact with Africa is found in the 1st century A.D. Periplus of the Erythraean Sea, which is one of the few ancient Greek sources on the Red Sea, Indian Ocean and Persian Gulf. It appears that even during these early times, private contacts between China and Africa already co-existed with a small number of official contacts. Imperial documents show that during the Han Dynasty there were also cultural and commodity exchanges between China and Egypt. Zheng He, is the most famous of the Chinese diplomats to visit during the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644) in Imperial China, arrived on the East African coast 80 years earlier than Vasco da Gama. During the Ming Dynasty (1368-1644), when Egypt and Ethiopia were frequently visited by Chinese merchants and diplomats, the Somali region was also a popular port of call.
In 2014, there was conference in Addis Ababa there was an international conference was held with research presentations by African, American, Chinese and Australian speakers.

7 Likes

Indian landrace exchange via full power selections or irrazing is a great source for landrace genetics. I’ve grown out there eastern Manipur Burma and it was exactly as advertised.
I’ve also gotten gear from BaabaQoSelections but that is different then Indian landrace or the others you mentioned.
I’ve gotten things directly from India, Columbia , Afghanistan and Africa in the same year , I’m sure they have me on a watch list at this point :rofl:
Also just to mention it can take months to get anything from India or Africa so if you do go that route be prepared to be patient.

8 Likes

All weed is ultimately introduced in the vast majority of places I guess, but it does acclimatise a lot faster than most people realise . We are all standing on the shoulders of giants in the end. I would have thought there was probably numerous introductions of various types via trade over the millennia. As far as crops go it’s just too darn handy for to expect otherwise I guess?

In any case It’s also probably only half a dozen generations and it’s very different in my experience anyways. Even if it’s unintentional, growers end up in a selection process due to ‘survival of the fittest’ and keeping seeds from the best buds etc. I guess that’s why the idea of ‘landrace’ is a little deceptive, different environment often means a radically different plants :man_shrugging:

4 Likes

I can attest to this, I’ve grown in a tropical climate where it rains all the fkn time and it never effected the potency, at least not subjectively, In fact I’ve sometimes wondered if the resin is partly evolved to repel water?

I have seen such tropical plants that shed florets that get mould on them which I thought was a pretty damn cool adaptation. Ice extraction works just as well with sativa in my experience, I use a cement mixer and a high pressure washer for ‘agitation’ lol.

6 Likes

yeah, i spoke about rain PLUS low sunshine…
I dont know, but here i always disliked the Bud harvested in rain. So atleast in my case, i didnt like it…

2 Likes

Yup. By having its outer shell be a lipid, which repels water.

I worked on PM/Mold resistance in Washington state. Left em out exposed to the rain from Sept through November. Discarded the plants that molded, kept the 15 winners. Potency was ridiculously high.

5 Likes

The tastiest genetics come from Washington state and Humboldt, where plants are almost constantly wet from rain or fog

That’s very cool. I’ve seen a couple of things along those lines in my time growing in super wet climates, one is that often a fully seeded bud will sprout by the thousands while still on the plant, but not until the calyx splits open and the trichomes have well degraded which kind of coincides with about when they are fully ripe, the sprouts then drop onto the wet ground and put down roots. So then the trichomes prevent water damage before they are ripe… that’s cool.

The other thing I have seen is an accidental cross that is ridiculously dense and would be normally expected to be a botrytis nightmare, but its so frosty and solid that water doesn’t even seem to be able get into the buds and so it just never seems to rot, even in extreme wet conditions.

Personally I have found mould resistance among one of the most difficult characteristics to nail down, I am more or less convinced it’s mostly morphology🤷‍♂️

4 Likes

Ove seen seeds sprout in buds in greenhouses.
Overripe and humidity got the seeds to sprout, looking like alien buds.

Yeah, resin coverage and morphology are the tricks to mold resistance.

5 Likes