Lets learn about Phytohormones together, how they work and how we can use them in our gardens

Check the newly updated ABA thread for more background info on ABA.

More investigation is needed but using ABA late may dramatially increase secondary metabolite production in cannabis.

I suspect it may be the active ingredient in products like Cropsalt Nutrients Cake – CS Consulting

Does anyone else think Cake may contain ABA.

Up to a 2.5x increase in total terpene content.

5%-10% increase in final weight.

30% higher total cannabinoid content

Drastic increase in color

There is a thread here on OG about cake.

5 Likes

I need to find the rightspot for these.

Brassinolide Induces a synthetic Auxin Response.pdf (379.2 KB)

Influence of Breassinosteriods on Rooting and Growth of Geranium.pdf (208.1 KB)

Interactive Effects of Jasmonic Acid, Salicylic Acid, and Gibberlenes.pdf (284.2 KB)

PGRs and Nutrition.pdf (1.6 MB)

Rooting Hormones.pdf (680.2 KB)

Specificity of 1-Triacontanol as a Plant Growth Stimulator and Inhibition of its Effects by oth_.pdf (570.8 KB)

The Influence of Growth Regulators Absorbed by the Root on Sex Expression in Hemp Plants.pdf (149.2 KB)

2 Likes

Chlormequat chloride is a systemic chemical PGR with extremely long withholding periods so when you use it is important.
You should know how long withholding periods are.
I don’t have that info handy but if I run across it I will post it.

EPA failed to require a developmental neurotoxicity study for chlormequat chloride ,

There appears to be evidence for developmental and reproductive toxicity
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=2ahUKEwjGyoKLsYGGAxWvg4kEHc1wAr8QFnoECCMQAQ&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thenewlede.org%2F2023%2F05%2Fepa-proposes-new-uses-of-chlormequat%2F&usg=AOvVaw2kGtygkICVf2p3vvtyfTwv&opi=89978449

Essentially says that 84 days after application, there is still a significant amount of CCC residue present. ~50mg/kg on day 0 and still ~15mg/kg on day 84.

The bottom line is this product is NOT broken down quickly by plants.
You can find important info, page 16 (3.1 Nature and magnitudes of residue in plants) from Conclusion regarding the peer review of the pesticide risk assessment of the active substance chlormequat | EFSA

One other thing to consider is that pesticides are being directly inhaled into the lungs with a combustible crop which means they pass into the blood and organs very effectively when compared to edible produce.

For example, a 1 packet a day cigarette smoker has 3 - 5 times the blood cadmium levels of a non smoker etc.

The Werc Shop ran research on pesticides in the smoke stream and showed that a high percentage of pesticide residue goes directly into the lungs.

Summary:
Chlormequat chloride is a reproductive and developmental toxicant, and exhibits neurotoxicity , which are not accounted for by the EPA.

2 Likes

this is a fantastic writeup. @shag is gone? bummer.

is was going to ask about a triacontanol and brassinolide as a foliar spray during veg to create a more compact plant structure suitable for bonsai moms. i see he mentions a ppm for brassinolide of

Blockquote
A foliar spray of 0.005 - 0.01ppm BR is a good starting point.

does anyone have guidance for triacontanol? is this even a reasonable approach. ive played around with ga3 / kinetin but my success was questionable at best

3 Likes

Well I only experimented with it a few different times, but I didn’t really find it to result in more compact plants that’s for sure, bigger ones definitely.

But I also found it a pita to deal with because it’s hard to dissolve and use, you can kinda use alcohol, but
some of it precipitates out when you go to dilute it,
making exact dosage difficult.
You can use polysorbate 20, which is easy enough to get hold of, but it’s an epic foaming agent, something I only discovered after using it to try and dissolve some triacontonol with it in my dwc setup, only to then realize half an hour later that was a bad idea when I was confronted with a grow room completely filled with foam lol. It is viable to use it as a foliar application.

For keeping your plants really compact and with shorter nodes; cytokines imho are what you want. Elevated levels will reduce the amount of auxins at the tips, resulting in closer node spacing and more branchy compact growth. I have found kelp extracts to be the easiest cheapest and most convenient source of cytokines.
Screw all the chemical pgr’s. Kelp is the biz.
We have a product down here called ‘brix fix’ which has a lot of the natural useful pgr’s in it. It’s worth checking out, even if it’s just for its ingredients.

Also using it at every water, or in the dwc rez instead of the every couple of weeks recommended can result in super compact growth, and I foliar feed them with it too, it’s basically pretty hard to overdo it.

2 Likes

I’ve done that during sanitization with added surfactants. I had a needlewheel pump running which also injects air into the DWC. Walked away and came back an hour later. The tent was entirely engulfed in a thick and long-lasting foam. The foam left of soap residue and etched everything metallic … including the light fixtures. :laughing:

2 Likes

Yes, it’s definitely one of those, oh crap, how do I even start to clean this up lol, mine carried enough water to short a whole circuit, which is the only reason I discovered it, the lights were never the same after that. My interest in triacontanol experiments also wained very suddenly :joy:.

2 Likes

Yes. Once in veg 50 ppm w. 0.1 ppm brass then 2 weeks into flower. Credit to powergrown.

1 Like