Light cycles

No matter what you do, you’ll NEVER be able to mock outdoor lighting conditions to a tee. Sunrise and sunsets would be almost all red lights; no lights start out that way, even the ones I’ve seen that do have a “sunrise/sunset mode” , they just seem to fire up slowly & do not seem to mock the true spectrum of different sun phases.

Not to mention the air, the temp, the humidity, the aridity or wetness of the region’s soil, etc etc etc. It just can’t really be done. That’s why, it’s more efficient to just flip your light schedule and not try to recreate Fall in your grow tent

1 Like

I veg under 24/0 forever. GW pharmaceuticals did an experiment with 24/0 and 18/6 lighting schedules for veg. The only thing they found is 18/6 is 25 percent slower than 24/0.
I prefer 12/12 over 11/13 simply because I find it yields better.
A friend of mine who was a big outdoor guy in NY. Used to decided what plants he’d run outside by placing them in 16/8. If they started going into flower with this timeframe it will finish outdoors in ny 42-43 longitude

2 Likes

All due respect to these guys who have been around as breeders for decades, but they are about as scientific as a kid with a model rocket.
Soma, DJ, etc. are/were great at producing seeds that people loved, but like almost anyone from that era, all their data is anecdotal, not science.
We shouldn’t take their word just because they’re weed celebrities

1 Like

Yup i did 13/11 for kicks once and it was actually quite nice yield wize.

1 Like

I’ve mostly been doing 11on 13off light cycle. If I swap it to 11off 13on for a run how significant will the differences be?

I’m setting a 5x10 tent to the new light cycle to try it out. I was doing the shorter light cycle to finish longer running stuff, 90-100 day. I’m back to running all 55-70 day stuff at this point though, but those times are all from the old light schedule. Hoping to get a bit better yield out of the longer light cycle as well as being able to start flower with slightly smaller plants.

The longer light cycle will definitely help yields. Even 12/12 will give a better yield. Another thing you could do is start the plants on 16/8 for a 3-7 days than change light to 14/10 for about same time period before going to 12/12.

im tempted to setup a place with such cycle and hunt for strains that flowers under this cycle

Hello. I have flowered in 14/10h but it takes more days to start flowering, now I go from 20/4h directly to 12/12h, because the pre-flora begins earlier and because I want to stop as soon as possible the stretching that occurs in those 2-3 weeks of the time change.

This season I want to rehearse once the pre-flora begins, go up an hour and cultivate all the flowering at 13/11h, because ultimately I think it’s about provoking, both by time and lights, the greatest photosynthesis possible.

1 Like