Lights for clones

Hi guys, which lights would be better for clones in propogator from this list??

http://www.hydroponics.co.uk/online-store/propagation-products/propagation-lighting

really depends on your needs and space… how many clones in how big of a space ?

1 Like

A big propagator with about 60 clones

Depends on foot print…

For long shelf I’d go with T5 fluoro fixture, these are cheapest…

For propagator maybe small CFL with shade would lit the area better…

4 Likes

Ditto. t5s are great and when cloning really don’t need many bc of the amount of lumens they emit.

1 Like

Ive used then 125w cfl and hood. It was my first light. Grew amazing veg and flower wise. Pulled 3 ozs under it.

1 Like

Cfls work great for cutting propagation . I would recommend focusing on humidity and temp and keeping those parameters consistent over worrying about your light source.

But, I know buying grow gear is super fun so let us know what you choose :slight_smile:

Stay hazed
Jake

4 Likes

I use these amongst others @Kingtut , the 4 way can be made into a 2 way by removing 2 of the bulbs. The 2 way has to have both bulbs running, the 4 way can have 2 or 4 running, so 55 x 2 =110 w or 55 x 4 = 220 w

I normally sit 1 prop under it long ways with 20-30 clones in chequer’s board style, or place 2 props under it side by side and turn them width ways.

Hope this helps :wink:

Alternatively look up the SOL strips thread, diy veg lights, theres a link in herbies garden thread to it some where.

https://overgrow.com/t/herbies-garden/4061/31?u=herbie

2 Likes

I firmly advise 200W bulbs as minimum for CFL, the 100W/150W ones are very disapointing and below what can give a classic T5 propagator or domestic CFL of 30W splitted in array.

I’m fan of this tech but for clones i use T8 when i can. Domestic T5 when i’m broke ^^

1 Like

I agree, t5 is the way to go.

Couldnt of said it better then @Blowingupjake ive noticed quicker roots with less light.

I have used T5s, T8s and CFLs for rooting clones and sprouting seeds.
They all work fine.

For my surprise, new T5 are less effective than old T8, they also get much warmer :confused: therefore i recommend to use T8 6000k-8000k for clones or CFL

2 Likes

I have CFLs, but thinking might others be better , thanks for opinions , I think going to use CFLs :slight_smile: