Lights for seedlings

Hi friends, this may be a silly question, are there any low cost grow lights to help move seedlings along in their growth? I’m going to be growing my plants outdoors, but my seedlings will be inside to start. I take the seedlings outside for direct sunlight most of the day (about 10-12 hours), but I’m also interested in being able to provide them with a few more hours of light in the morning and evening.

3 Likes

You can buy grow bulbs on eBay this is how I start young plants works a treat

6 Likes

Go to Home Depot or Walmart, and pick up a 4’ shop light. Look for one with cool white or daylight bulbs.

Can find them under $20. They will work great for seedlings.

9 Likes

Shop light & compact fluorescents will be fine just for seedlings bromigos…

6 Likes

I use a small tent 30 x 30 x 21 inside that is a 4- tube 24" vho does a great job.
Regular flouros are great but the vho keeps them short and makes them bush.

2 Likes

What types of bulbs are you using there? How many watts? Those are LED?

honestly just a couple of led screw in bulbs from say home depot will do the job, $12-14 for a 4 pack of the philips 8 watters “60w equivalent” or the same for a 2 pack of the 14watters “100w equivalent”, have grown quite a few plants to completion under some arrays of those bulbs in the past.

7 Likes

led light i think is more cheap, and easily to operate

2 Likes

Welcome to OG Lance!

Cheap shop lights

3 Likes

I grow completely with screw in led bulbs, I found them for $2 a pack of 4, then just any light sockets you can put above the plants. I use vanity light strips.
I found that with these bulbs, seedlings stretch less. With cfl or fluorescent tubes, the light needs to be like 6” above them to keep them from getting all stretchy and floppy.

4 Likes

I bought these and they are cheap and work fine … :sunglasses:

€ 6,35 25%OFF | 3-head 200 LED Plant Grow Light Bulb for Lamp Room Dual Flower tent Indoor Clip hydro growbox Veg E27 red blue greenhouse

2 Likes

If it were me I’d buy a t 5 fluorescent light never know might have to finish your outdoor plant inside and with a t5 it’s doable . Not to mention decent healthy growth ,I run a 4 ft 6 bulb high output along with a 2 ft single bulb sun blaster for seedlings in a small tent.

With the 6 bulb it’s capable of providing plenty of light in a 4x4 veg space .This plant is off to the side at least 3 ft from my light with no complaints .

4 Likes

I was gonna say this but for a little added light, pop off the plastic bulb part . Can do them like that or if your crafty do like my buddy did and build small light fixtures for it. I’ll post a pic later after im home.

2 Likes

Welcome to OG @lance! Make yourself comfortable. Lots of great people here.

2 Likes

Welcome to OG @lance enjoy

Peace and stay safe

As others have mentioned, I really like to use shop lights.

Put in some 5000k T12’s and you can grow seedlings, clones, you name it under one of those.

1 Like

I use CFL bulbs, the bigger ones but they are getting impossible to find. Florescent lights are safe because the plants can actually touch them and not burn.

You can look at this lamp, which is perfect for plant growth.
https://www.buckslighting.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=66&product_id=53

maybe the LED light is proper for you and easily to use it ,but someone is not cheap, bro ,just chose the midlle price light,