Looking for advice before spring

Okay I currently have one plant in flower this year was gifted and I really wasn’t ready for a grow but so far she is doing well in a bucket of homemade soil. The big plus this year is I haven’t needed any nutes to keep her happy which was nice. This won’t be an option next year as I no longer have my soil pile due to loosing my house in a fire. In a new place now but haven’t started making my own soil again yet.
Now my question is what kind of soil do you guys that container grow outdoors? I have pups that like to eat my any of my plants so just in the ground isn’t an option neither, have to keep them protected which is easier for me in containers. Also I am looking for advice on short stature plants. Previously my grows were all guerilla grows which height didn’t matter so much.
I’m new to the whole taking care of plants from start to end like this and what can i say…? I’m loving it!!! So much nicer to take care of pests n whatnot before it’s too late like with my guerilla grows where I have lost whole spots of plants due to pests and disease.

7 Likes

Roughly speaking a blend of 1/3 perlite, 1/3 peat or coco, 1/3 compost/wormycompost will handle most of anything. If you’ll be there more than a year then consider a single large raised bed & a trellis aka “SCROG” setup.

Then either bottle feed or top-dress fertilizer as needed. A bit of clover on top as a cover-crop/mulch & you should be good. :alembic: :baby_bottle: :four_leaf_clover:

:evergreen_tree:

6 Likes

Isn’t it just easier to put them in a ground and buy a roll of chicken wire to put around them to keep the dogs and any other other critters out? It will come out so much better than container plants. just saying

4 Likes

Well my goal is to install a greenhouse off one side of my utility shed and do raised beds in that. I just don’t know if I will be able to do it in the spring or not.
with containers. I can also move them easier to better light/shade as needed also I live in the lowest part of town and my yard floods.
I just got to the new house and haven’t worked all the kinks out yet. The grow this year was a fluke wasn’t ready for it. But was gifted some beans from the same person so next year I will have 4 going plus a bean or 2 from a previous grow of mine from a few years ago. Just trying to get things locked in and planned for spring.

3 Likes

Kinda seems your 50/50 in what ya want to do here if ya want big plants low profiled check out what Iv done by keeping plants low profiled (outdoor scrog) but thats not for something that needs moved around otherwise you have to keep Fido out of the patch somehow. @Meesh has the best sounding plan for that!

2 Likes

Is it YOUR property? Meaning can you freely cut or move fallen trees and move dirt changing elevations (minorly)?

1 Like

Yessum it’s mine, fully paid for. Been filling in low spots and improving drainage each time it rains enough to flood it.

3 Likes

Have been checking out your grow and I must say super impressive. It looks like something that may work for myself also. Big props.

1 Like

Just a shot of one branch.

Good to have ya on here at OG so basically I do a super soil mix with the above recommendation of base material of what @cannabissequoia mentioned above my two recent boxes iv built this year is 6" deep just on top of bare soil my ammendement I use often are crab, kelp , alfalfa, at a times been all DTE (down to earth) products I use earth worms casting from my own bins and use teas compost and worm cast teas throughout the season I’ve recently used DTE all purpose fert and really love what’s in that product off the top of my head there’s like 6-8 all organic ingredients all in one mix

My growth this year was crazy on the stretch last season I kept my single plant in a 4x4 box under 2 feet in height

Any other questions just ask away ! Hope this helps!

2 Likes

If ya followed my post closely you may have picked something I forgot to mention An early planting of cover crop a 12 seed blend and top dress with comfrey throughout the year

1 Like

I got my “1/3, 1/3, 1/3” recipe from Eliot Coleman’s “year-round gardening” book. There’s a few variations in there & am still kind of baffled by his use of “soil blocks”-- something like diy rapid rooters in seedling size & 4" blocks, like the way rockwool plugs & cubes fit together.

His climate is Vermont/New Hampshire so that may be part of my apprehension. :blush: :desert:

Also, he mentions different grades of peat moss, with black “humulus-something” being superior(?)…

I may throw some coco in the next time. If that money’s burning a hole in my pocket. :laughing:

1 Like

I believe what many of these soil mix bases stems from is in a pod cast I picked up in was mentioned by clackamus Coot of it being what is called a “Cornell’” mix from Cornell’s college and ag school or something similar haven’t checked into much of it myself, mine was found through SFG concepts and has evolved from that , I have different 2 sets of those soil block makers and have used them at times bought the devices on Amazon the mini blocks probably a 1/2” square can fit into a 4” block of soil rather pretty cool concept Imo

1 Like

Yeah, same here, & there’s also a UC Davis mix too… :wink:

1 Like

Thanks for the info so far. Looks like I’ve gots my winter reading list started…

2 Likes

The rabbithole is just beginning! :sparkles: :tophat: :rabbit2: :wink:

2 Likes