Looks like a N Overdose But.......?

Set up the yellow sticky traps for helping in monitoring and removal as well as placing a nice thick layer of sand on top to aid in smothering them when you start your worm bins beneficial mites always seem to find their way in which fungus gnats will get the hell out of there and not set up shop!

4 Likes

if gnats, your call… if springtails, keep!

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Looks like over watering…I also had gnats but got a sticky fly trap and after 2 days they were gone.

2 Likes

Gnats hate weed control fabric , blocks the holes where they get in and also bottom feeding keeps the surface dry : )

2 Likes

Don’t do anything until you identify the critters. Not all bugs are pests. Use a piece of clear packing tape to capture a specimen or three for identification. Once you know what the bug is then you can decide what to do.

4 Likes

Hey, sry for the late reply life got in the way.
Clear Tape! That’s a great idea, wish I had thought of this earlier.

There are several yellow sticky bits at soil level and here & there. I walked away from it when I posted the thread and haven’t been back…Until, last night…
The 2 OG’s are done, the best one was just plain ravaged, lol. The rest look ok and a younger one Tang Dream is still growing well.

The main concern or question I have is about indoor disinfecting. Besides cleaning the carpet and dusting up, is there anything in particular that I need to look for or do.?.
My worry is reinfecting new genetics, esp if they were rare or whatever.
I’ll take a look at them again and see if I can identify the little basterds. :wink:

So I checked on them a couple of days ago and both OG’s are dead. Strangely they died of differ causes or at least the symptoms were very differ. One I had pulled and left the other one in place.

The one I pulled died, due to lack of water. The other one with the rest of the lot had a very differ death. Leaves were twisted badly all over.
It also was the strongest plant of the lot, in terms of growth and size. It was dead approx 3 days before her sis.

I’m going to try and get some samples of the bugs. I’ll post em, hopefully tonight.
I pulled the plug, it sucks but gotta start somewhere.

The top covering, I see some peps with a cover on them. Can ya use sand the whole time, any negative issues with sand that I should know about?

Very possible, unfortunately. I’ll get a few of them. They are so small, like dust particles in front of the light. I just thought it was perlite or something. :anguished:
The smallest where white, only saw one larger one. It was approx 1-2mm wide, 4-6mm long with a round body brown in color and might have wings, couldn’t tell.

Thx everyone and sry again for the late replies, life keeps getting in the way! Will post pics…

1 Like

I’d leave it on for a couple of weeks to keep others from getting in the top mix … take it off when ever you feel like or ride it out through flower!

1 Like

Hey, I read some peps use perlite for top dressing. I guess I’ll try it when I’m back up again, can’t wait to long though. This already put me off by 12 weeks.

I’d rather use something (maybe not on first run) like Greensand that would supply nutes. But I can address that later

I’ve still gotta post a pic of these bugs. Read Ed Rosenthal’s (Garden Saver) book and narrowed it down.

I put those things everywhere, in the soil and on the side of the pots. Yeah it got a lot of them and never really saw any that flew.
Except for the little white things, they are as small as perlite dust. They don’t look like bugs when flying, extremely small.
Whitish blonde in color.
Only way I could see them was by shining the Grow light and standing behind it. And my vision is fine, no glasses or anything, yet.
Thx Again!

2 Likes

I guess they must be whiteflies … :sunglasses:

Captura

2 Likes

Iv never heard of perlite being effective against fungus gnats stuff floats around to much when watering and just makes nice hidding holes for them… just get yourself a worm bin going the micro life ( good) really keeps pest in check!

This little guy is a soil mite in my thread “ Whats in my soil” keeps them in check!

3 Likes

I recently saw someone using clay balls as cover, would also help maintaining soil humidity … :sunglasses:

2 Likes

So what about a amendment? I’ve seen some use as a preventive measure for nutes and bugs. Some where mixed with the soil…

And yeah a compost bin is on the to do list, somewhere, lol.

But I’m using or was using Happy Frogs. And I still can’t get a consistent read on which is hotter!?!
Tried seedling soil and it didn’t work that great. I dunno, there are a lot of peps using FF soil and OF seems to be more popular, from what I’m reading.

Some said something about the weed screen, like ya use in beds. How do you arrange it? One sheet in front of door and vents? Or do ya cut it up and wrap the pots?

Oh, I’m sry about not posting a pic yet, just been crazy busy lately. And the fact the nation is burning, Global Pandemic, etc…:unamused:
I will try my best to capture some tonight. Gotta run…Thx!

1 Like