Identification help

Can you expert help me figure out what I have than I can use a search to figure out how to get ride of. I saw tiny thing on the rime of my pots. You can just see them they are so small. I have never seen them before and have used magnification constantly on the WW. So far I just see them on the Hurkle. I did just water, put up a new tent from a grow shop and yesterday brought home a bag of moss from Menards yesterday. I noticed a bad leaf yesterday and the cotyledons leaf fell of a couple plants.

Pics are needed to be certain. 99% chance it’s one of three pests thirps, fungus gnats and the dreaded root aphid. If they’re light color and joint shaped and run really fast thirps. If they’re black n fly but like they’re drunk gnats. If they’re tiny lit crabs that movr like ninjas aphids. Aphids will eventually fly too but if you find out they’re aphids best to start over.

are they flying? Do you see them running around the surface of the soil or just on the plants?

I just saw them running around the rim of the pots. They are so small if they don’t move I wouldn’t see them. I used a 30X loop and I am pretty sure they are white. The little shits move too fast.

If they are flying I don’t think I would even see them.

it’s not fungus gnats, not good, sounds liike thrips from skiball’s description

I read the thread about pest and wasn’t sure. Would I see aphids are they a different size than thrips?

Aphids are the smallest. Could b mites but usually they cause no real issue (soil mites).

Wtihout pics, we can’t be sure. Could be good or bad.

Can you get close enough even for a low quality shot?

So would Aphids hang around on the plant or pots. If mites would the water have got them moving.

Yes and yes.

The aphids will cling to the plants.

Look like these?

1 Like

If thrips are your issue, pennyroyal (whatever that is) and rosemary essential oils are very effective pesticides.

1 Like

Identifying pests is tuff bc there’s so many sub species. Even with a dec pic its hard to tell a gnat from a aphid flier. It’s the position of the wing that you can tell. Flip your pot upside down into your hand. You’ll see them running around on the sides of the soil. Maybe get a better idea. If you’re seeing damage this early it might b aphids. If it is im sorry but best to start over.

Don’t drink it. (or too much)

Can’t even get a :poop: photo
looking for photo of the thirps and mites too.
I was hoping there was a big difference in them.

1 Like

OK, let;s take some from online

Good Mite

Bad Thrips

White Fly

Bad

here’s a link with good and bad mites on it

http://www.uky.edu/Classes/ENT/574/insects/apple_insects/mites/mite_images.htm

2 Likes

Are they in the soil too or just around the rim of your pots?

White Spider Mites,

Really bad.

3 Likes

Just around the rim but I don’t thing I can see them in the soil.

Looks like the my be what you are calling good mites.
If they are aphids , they are young as they don’t have “dual pipes”
They aren’t Bad Thrips
No wings like the White Fly.

1 Like

I was betting on predatory mites.

How are the health of the plants?

And yes to your question earlier, a watering will flush the mites up to the surface.

Hoping you are right, those guys are your buddies.

3 Likes