Lowering temps to bring out colors

I have a Purple unicorn, and a Mac that the leaves are turning purple now. Temps only go down to 78 at night.

8 Likes

temps in the upper 50’s at night over the last week or two of flowering should do it, as long as it’s warm during the day it won’t hurt potency or yield IMO

3 Likes

I think this is the most likely outcome. I don’t think you will get much benefit from that use of your resources.

You’ll find purple coloring as a genetic trait, and it frequently shows when the plants fade as they ripen. I don’t think it’s necessary to try to induce purple coloration artificially.

2 Likes

A couple of the strains I’m running have purple strains in their lineage I think, I know the monster pebbles has GDP, and the apollo ape has rare darkness, but it’s still early flower.

3 Likes

I too feel “if she purps, she purps ?” I just let them do their thing and quite often you are pleasantly surprised. I’ve had plants begin to purple in veg , ive had plants that buds were completely purple, some with just that tinge. And I have had many that the last 2-3 weeks the purple starts and you end up with crazy rainbows on the leaves as she begins to consume herself and the outer leaves degrade. If looking to induce I’d suggest those last 2-3 weeks get those temps way down at night, some do the ice cubes on the roots, and some use an abundance of RO ice cubes and room temp. And some use a water chiller to force out the purps, not sure if it even works but that purpinator flies off the shelves at the hydro stores, terpinator too. Tbh I’d rather just utilize the genetics too their full potential and hopefully be rewarded with some beautiful colours to further enhance that bag/jar appeal but it truly doesn’t matter to me, if quality is there it’s there regardless of colour. But the colours can be quite easily coaxed out especially in those final weeks. You probably only need to drop maybe 10 degrees at night from where you are at to get there.

4 Likes

My nighttime is daytime. Good info though, I think playing around with it might have to wait till i have a winter harvest.

2 Likes

I live where it does it naturally. It gets cool at nights and very warm in the day. It would take a lot of energy to get the temps down and then back up inside, for every day.

3 Likes

I run the light at night cause it’s in the 90s all day most of the summer and cooling hids in that heat is to much.

1 Like