Lowering temps to bring out colors

About when do you start doing that? I’m on week 3ish for most of them, tents 72 during lights off 83 during lights on, humidity around 60rh.

4 Likes

I’d say the last couple weeks you don’t want to stall them early into bud . Some won’t color up a lot till you drop there feed .

2 Likes

So we’re you going to run air conditioning to lower your temps ?

Last 2 weeks when you start flushing.
All depends on your media, feeding, general grow environment tho…
The last 2 weeks is bulking season, so you don’t wanna do anything drastic.

4 Likes

Yeah, I’ve got a big ass window unit in the tents room.

2 Likes

my brother in law grows outdoors,last year they all got frost, they all got plenty of cold for the last 3 weeks, not a one purple’d and he had purple strains

1 Like

Any particular reason you’re chasing the purple?

Many plants respond to cold this way.

But I’ve had plants purple up even at high temps.

I had two sisters that looked exactly the same and one purpled and the other didn’t. So who can say :man_shrugging:

Here’s a mini auto that purpled in the summer heat:

A lot of it is genetic.

Best of luck.

8 Likes

Grow strains that are purple regardless of temps, though they are usually not as good as their green counterparts

1 Like

No real reason beyond a desire to experiment.

1 Like

But if it’s just gonna increase my power consumption at the expense of potency I probably shouldn’t bother.

5 Likes

Agreed. The purple fade on greener plants tend to be on the leaves anyway.

I’m not sure about “green is better than purple” I think it might be more the hype let down -“check it out bro it’s PURPLE!”

“Meh, it’s just weed.”

Then again I’m jaded and am over the purple entirely. :joy:

I grew a plant that was 100% purple, like amazingly so and people went crazy for it but to me its not that exciting :+1:

2 Likes

Usually purple plants don’t smoke as good as there green counterparts.

2 Likes

I’ve used ice put on top of the dirt at night to cause color changing.

3 Likes

My last harvest I had a Unicorn Milk from Bodhi, it didn’t purple til the cure. Now it’s clone is purple in the center of the forming buds, probably gonna be all purple from the looks of it.
And I hope it matches what it was cut from, that is some very decent stuff :ok_hand:

3 Likes

I certainly wouldn’t trade quality for purple. You can pretty much force any bud purple but quality will take a pretty big hit. If you really want purple look for cultivars that are known to be purple.

4 Likes

Here’s one where the buds purpled completely:

Had I been less lazy with my trimming it would have serious bag appeal

Here’s one where all the leaves purpled but the buds didn’t.

If you’ve got customers the purple could be a big advantage. :call_me_hand:

11 Likes

I’ve got people that stay asking for purple stuff. Not having it hasn’t been a problem and my people are mostly strapped for cash :expressionless: need to get my sister to introduce me to her pothead friends so I can charge rich people rich people prices.

5 Likes

The colder temperatures do change the colors. I think so. The other replies are also good. I know at night it could get in the 60 at night in the tent. It would give them a purple look. Vegetables will do it also. Cabbage and collard greens will change colors in colder weather.

1 Like

Still beautiful

1 Like

@EugeneDebs420 to me if the soil doesn’t get that cold it keeps oxygen levels high. Because of it being colder. Air is thick when it’s cold. I try to run mind about 65 at night. For the smaller one 84 to 75. To me the colder it is the less problems you have. I’ll still keep my fans on.

2 Likes