Magnesium deficiency or something else? those babies need help!

I had this issue on my last grow which was my first and i figured it was magnesium deficiency so i decided to add some epsom salt(about 1 tablespoon per gallon) to my soil mix for the next grow thinking it would fix it but even with the added epsom salt to the mix the issue is still there.

I am a bit loss on to what to try next as i am now wondering if its some other issue or a mix of things. I was going to try epsom salt foliate but this will not work in flowering so i figured i would reach out for help.

any input is appreciated, thanks!!

8 Likes

I require pictures to be of assistance.

2 Likes

Yeah, what he^ said.

Welcome to OG! Help us help you. :wink:

2 Likes

If it is really a magnesium deficiency I’ve used 1 gram per gallon of water at every watering to clear it up. After having them for awhile I just started adding .6 grams of Epson salt per gallon of water in veg and 1 gram per gallon of water in flower. It stopped all the chlorosis I was seeing. Pics will help us determine if that’s what’s going on.

This might be of some help for you…

7 Likes

hahaha oh wow what a stoner move, thanks for letting me know i edited the original post to include a pic and adding one more in this reply as i am limited @ 1 per post

2 Likes

thanks! it does look like textbook magnesium but im doubting myself since im a newbie and the epsom salt that i added to soil or try to give via foliate did not do much to help.

i am also wondering if there is anything i can add to my soil mix to avoid this in my future grow? currently this is my soil recipe for veg

Base mix:
50% promix hp
25% perlite
25% worm casting

Admendments: (Per Gallon)
1 ts all purpose (4-4-4)
2 ts alfalfa meal (3-0-3)
2 ts kelp meal (1-0-2)
1 ts dolomite lime
1 ts epsom salt
1 ts gaia green rock dust blend

2 Likes

Are you allowing some time for the amendments to ‘cook in’ or using immediately?

Cheers
G

1 Like

Another important piece to the equation is knowing your pH. Strips are good in a pinch, a pen is the best to minimize deficiencies as you grow.

2 Likes

So far i have let it cook. I added some water and let it sit for 4-5 weeks in rubbermaid containers, mixing it from time to time.

2 Likes

i did try Alfred’s pH Test Strips and i also use root farms ph indicator which i like the best, according to them the ph should be about 6.3-6.5. Do note that i have some alkaline water from the tap with a ph of about 8 so i use root farms ph down solution.

1 Like

That’s loads of time!
your pH sounds about right, I prefer the drops but that’s just my preference.
I’m using phosphoric acid for pH down, I’ve noticed some ‘drift’ if I let it stand for a few days (lots of buffer in the water).
Enough that I found I needed to adjust if I let it sit more than 3 days.

Cheers
G

2 Likes

Have you tried testing ph of run off after a watering? Try to water enough next time so some comes out of drain holes and test the ph

3 Likes

Are you reveging ? Looks like some single and 3 leafers. Have they been in those pots a while?

Had a persistent issue similar to that. Input water was at 6.5 but test runoff at mid 5’s. Something in my mix was off and the roots were really bound up. Flushed well with ph @ 7, gave veg nutes at 1/2 strength then uppoted a size.

1 Like

hey good catch with the weird leaf! i have seen similar leaf on sour diesel pictures online and some ppl mentioning the cut they have had similar mutation so i had attributed it to the genetics? not sure if it matters but i am growing from clone

I am not reveging and they have been in those pots for about 4 weeks. I am thinking about moving them in their flowering soil and 5gallon pot but they seem pretty dark already and im scared to expose them to more nitrogen right now so i have been waiting a bit. Flowering mix i have cooking and plan on trying this time is bongaloid soil recipe with guano and kelp and it seems to be pretty hot im now wondering if i should cut it with some base soil mix

ill try to calculate the runoff ph on my next watering and see what it looks like, i remember it being a bit hard to check because my runoff was already a bit discolored.

That’s of zero help to anyone.

Do you guys always posting cartoon drawings have an anime obsession?

Magnesium deficiency:

3 Likes

Hard to tell what you have in the photos when you use a cheap walmart flip phone. That is zero help to anyone. One of the “anime” drawings was made on behalf of Jorge Cervantes, someone who knows a hell of a lot more then you or I do when it comes to growing weed.

Question, are you always this rude to people?

Do guys posting rude posts do it because no one like them?

11 Likes

Yes, he is.

But the phone is from Target :joy:

5 Likes

actually the picture he posted is from some study made by Hexo and it kinda reminded me of this study so i went to look at the other images and found this one in the b samble (potassium deficiency) that kinda looks like what i have on some leaf.

Also in the hexo study pictures for magnesium deficiency, it seems like the edges are not affected while on my plants this is where the issue seems to start? I don’t want to overthink this too much but is there any chance my issue is a mix of both potassium and magnesium deficiency? or some other combo? let me know what you guys think…

Transplant into bigger pot, dilute the hot mix you got cooking with some lighter soil, should be fine then.

Sow some companion crops as well, it will help balance everything out.
Bellpepper come with a bunch of free seeds, easy to gather them every time you cook with them.
Chop and drop them when they get too big and perhaps let one grow out, they have woody stems that can be used for LST and you get free peppers along the way!

Instead of buying all those powders and amendments you can mix your soil with a wide variety of kitchenscraps as well as grass clippings, dandelion leaves, nettle, tree leaves, there’s all the minerals and nitrogen you’ll ever need, and completely free.

2 Likes