Maintenance for Moms

Thank you for the reply, much love dude!!

1 Like

Do you know what strain that 30 year old plant is I love old genetics.
The difference in appearance could be due to enviroment , ive given people cuts and watched them express different traits in each location, some strains seem to be the same no matter what but others like og kush can realy look different depending on the tempature elevation and humidity.

1 Like

Pai Thailand bag seeds from late 70s early 80s .

12 Likes

This plant is my late uncles he was over there and brought the seeds back

2 Likes

Thatā€™s a awesome thing to have been able to keep , old school genetics like that are invaluable plus it has the sentimental family history behind it super special. You should try and find something good to cross it to maybe something from that area as to not mix it up to much. My uncle had some old Turkish weed he used to grow but nobody kept any seeds :slightly_frowning_face:

4 Likes

Itā€™s been a fight Over the years the cops have taken her and a few others but our family is pretty big and a lot of them have her sheā€™s a favorite for sure. Thatā€™s a bummer nobody made seeds. I to like old school genetics I have some amazon landrace seeds a dude gave me in 2012 he handed me a bag of seed and a bud very good old school leather weed super stony like the old g13.
Indica dominate he said Iā€™ve tried popping a few but they are outdoor seeds . Iā€™ve scuffed em soaked em tried about all I can think of or know and none have come up. Anyways Iā€™ll stop rambling.

1 Like

If I come across any good sativas or Thai Iā€™ll keep you in mind I collect alot of landraces and am just now getting around to finding out what is going to grow. This coming spring Iā€™m going to work with a eastern burmise strain and see what I can find, wish me luck it has a 16 week flower time so Iā€™m going to start indoors , flower for a month and throw them outside in a green house and light dep for the last month.
I will succeedā€¦I hope

2 Likes

I have not. Actual genetic drift in the way we refer to it in our community is a myth. I think the issue people see is a overall decline in plant health because people keep shitty mother plants and donā€™t keep them in peak health.

If you take healthy tissue from a healthy plant, you will have healthy clones that grow healthy plants. My biggest advice would be to keep your plants healthy and grow them in the biggest pot you possibly can. Take clones from them before they become rootbound. There is no reason to keep the same mother plant for extended periods of time.

6 Likes

Iā€™m curious, what is the difference ? Wether you keep the same seed plant as a mother or you take a clone of it and use that as a mew mother , the genetics are still identical yes ?

3 Likes

The idea that a mother from seed is better then a mother from a clone is pure bro science. Genetic drift is alot harder to have occur then people would think. I agree that most of what they are witnessing is tired momā€™s and or phenotypic plasticity due to a change in the environment. I have had a couple strain over 10 years and no issues.

3 Likes

I wish I had pics of her just ten years ago two things Iā€™ve noticed with this ibl is that her leafs have kinda went to a 50/50 Indica Sativa hybrid looking leaf wider little shorter her growth is still as vigor as ever buds still look the same. She is a clone of a million and it was probably 8 years or so ago I started noticing this leaf and node development change. I took a clone this summer and vegged it out in the 24 hour Alaska sun just wanting to use her for a shit tone of good cuts because like you I also that maybe she wasnā€™t happy and maybe I was a shitty owner . So right now I have four young mothers from this summer Iā€™m messing with now the cut where tops off a nine foot tall hedge I topped the shot out of that of before she went outside. :man_shrugging:

2 Likes

What I was asking is you said you keep actual mother plants opposed to what guys like myself do. Iā€™m just curious why you think there is a difference ?

2 Likes

I use too clone off of a clone for many years fuck thatā€™s all I knew. Then I Heard some shit about genetics drifting back in 00 ish Maybe in a book canā€™t recall at the moment Iā€™ve been smoking hash since 4:30,
and thatā€™s when I was convinced my girl had drifted or whatever. does a plant genetically drift? Iā€™ve never seen It myself until this girl started changing but Iā€™ve only grown a few hundred strains so I couldnā€™t say more other than what I experienced with my plant.

2 Likes

Drift is possible but itā€™s much less common then most cannabis growers would like to think. A large part of the genetic drift conversation lately comes from the tissue culture industry using it as a marketing tool to appear better then clones.
Tissue culture is horribly time consuming and expensive and the rest of the horticulture industry figured this out over 20 years ago, long term storage of genetic material is more prone to mutations then clones. They have to make it sound better to impress investors and creat a job for them selves, it looks and sounds super impressive but in reality itā€™s a bad business model compared to the turn over rate of clones.
It serves a purpose for back up storage but the whole creating plants faster that are sterile sales pitch is pure bs. They still have to grow those cultures into starts before they can sell them and that means they need a veg room, if they have plants vegging there operation is only as clean and sterile as any other clone facility. Itā€™s all up to the employees and there attention to detail , right of the bat they lose my trust based on the dishonesty of there business model.

5 Likes

I looked at the tissue culture once . Its no good huh?

It definitely looks like a lot of work we are just family farmers around here

Genetic drift occurs in populations over generations. Iā€™m not sure what is causing your different expressions but I am almost certain itā€™s not genetic drift.

In order for genetic drift to happen, changes in DNA need to happen. That doesnā€™t occur simply from clonal propagation.

2 Likes

Tissue culture has some benefits and uses but they donā€™t apply to 99 percent of growers. Honestly I see it as a way for a company to get what ever strain they want as long as they can get a sample with living dna.
Me and my friends used to joke about it as a way to get rare plants from botanical gardens, all you need is a small peice of the plant material, and alot of skills and patients lol

2 Likes

Thatā€™s what thought about the dna would have to change but like I said I found that shit about genetic drift so I have been assuming the wrong thing this whole time about this plant hmmm wonder what her problem has been then.

1 Like

Hereā€™s an interesting read.
https://cannatechtoday.com/genetic-drift/

1 Like