After 6months one of my plants is refusing to stay in veg

Weird right? Healthy Chemo plant, had it since about April I believe. Now in November it wants to flower. Stems are all woody, and the clones that I took from it are going down to three leaves with staggered internodes.

It’s been under 24 hours of light the whole time. Why would it do this?

I planned to keep a mom of it, but it seems to have other plans!

2 Likes

Ive had mine going for a little bit longer than that and they throw pistils. Not full on flower. Is that what’s happening? If so very odd. It’s common for them to throw pistils.

Paws

1 Like

I’ve had a cultivar do this before under 2 conditions.

1. Low light
  2. Root bound
    When i take cuttings they will revert back to Veg until one of those 2 things occur again.
9 Likes

The clones look like they are in preflower.

The larger plants are throwing a lot of pistils and their stems are very woody.

3 Likes

My clones are certainly both. I was keeping them for mother plants which I typically keep rootbound and under relatively low light conditions.

That might be it.

3 Likes

Just take a cutting and it will root, usually takes a few days longer. Then about another 2-4weeks to start full new growth in my experience. But it’s worth it if you want to keep her going.

2 Likes

If you keep them under 24 hour they should revert or just grow past it. When I’m rooting a few clones will have preflowers or pistils and they grow out of it. Unless you have some ruderalis traits in your moms. Also rootbound and other stresses can cause this. My fritter and mac1 both threw pistils. Cloned just fine, and the pistils eventually went away. I’ve had them in my pepper tent under 24/0 for close to 8 or so months. They have exhibited this twice since then, also they are fading like they are in the end of flower.

2 Likes

You know this grow has kinda gotten away from me. I just haven’t had the time and money to invest in it at the moment. I will probably just keep the two big plants as the new moms and kill the preflowering clones. Start some new clones off from scratch.

3 Likes

Why start over, I bet you they will grow out of it. Then no lost time. My 2 pennies…

2 Likes

Now is the perfect time to experiment and maybe learn something new, while there is room for mistakes. In the future if you find an amazing plant that tends to be capricious, you’ll know exactly what to do :wink:

2 Likes

Give @ReikoX a shout. He can advise on how to keep a bonsai cannabis mother plant in veg. The man’s a legend when it comes to issues like this. :v:

4 Likes

Could have some Ruderallis mixed in?

2 Likes

I’ve recently had plants going into flower while under 18 hours light. But it was from the plant being severely root-bound in a small solo cup.
Some strains don’t seem to be bothered by this stress. Others are very sensitive to having shoes too tight.

2 Likes

I would go with rootbound as well. Perhaps a root pruning will pull them out of it.

4 Likes

Hehe.
Yes my clones look like they are in flower.
In fact they are commercially
Viable lol
The more cuts of cuts one has the more that happens.
It’s just tons of preflower
Pistols.
After about 45 times it gets really interesting.
Cuts in veg that reek as bad as in flower plants.

1 Like

In my testing for sexual purity I’ve noticed my two highest rated sexual purity strains NEVER HERMIE! Yes never hermie. One in my Red GSC and I can idle a clone under weak light and limited root space for a long time. I have 2 like that right now. They are almost 1 year old and in the same 1/2 gallon pots. Just sitting there preserving the genetics. I keep them chopped so they don’t grow. And when I want I put them in a real pot and move them to the lights.

1 Like

I’m doing my first line that I’m cloning until it degrades. I’m only up to about 5 clones of a clone.

1 Like

Cloned and made new moms from clones for 8yrs. No degradation I noticed.

1 Like

You’ve never noticed it getting lanky after many generations of clones?

1 Like

Nope. I didn’t notice any difference. It just gets better and better the more you learn the strain. That’s just what I’m seeing with the moms I’ve had and been changing out every 6 months for new ones. I’ve never done any lab testing or anything like that. I wouldn’t be worried to keep one for 10+yrs easily. I’ve started with less than ideal cuts/clones as well.