Maintenance for Moms

That’s what I liked about it that it took minimal tissue to make a clone thought that was pretty cool myself

What @Farmerjoe420 said is precisely true. people spend years trying to alter the dna of plants with out chemical intervention, true mutations almost always need a cause like chemicle manipulation , gene editing and or radiation exposure.
I would bet alot that what your seeing is the plant expressing itself differently do to enviroment.
Some strains are really sensitive and will change there appearance and or terpene profiles with very little change in environment.
Example og kush prefers cooler temps , comes out alot better if you keep the room in the 70’s totally different plant above 85 degrees. This is widely known within the og growing circles.

2 Likes

That’s a great read thanks man. That answers all the questions here for that . Thanks for the info gentlemen.

1 Like

That has always been my understanding

Genotype x environment = phenotype

Humans are a great example. If you take a guy, sit him on the couch for 6 months and feed him cheeseburgers , he would like very different than if you put him in the wild and he was forced to survive on what he could gather in the wild. Same genetics , different environments, very different expressions LOL

7 Likes

Lmao :joy: I could see that that would be a city slicker genetics then huh? :rofl::rofl::rofl:

1 Like

That is the best example of phenotype I have ever heard. Nice one! :+1::seedling:

4 Likes

Hoooray for Joe!!
Very good simple explanation.

Most folks dont understand that the exact same clone can look and grow very different in different environments

3 Likes

This plants been in this same home for 25 years I did add a new shade of white to the walls​:rofl::rofl::sob::sob::sob: I’ll leave it to science And I’ll just keep growing this old girl. Joe’s explanation was faf . And that link joe cool shared was good indeed :+1::call_me_hand:

1 Like

Absolutely love it! Great way to explain it to the general public.
As for cuts off cuts over years, unless something like a virus infection, one shouldn’t be different than one taken off the seed plant. But that said, it does “age” as cuttings are the same age as the donor, therefore mature and ready to bloom. A true clone would be reproducing the plant in it’s entirety from a cellular level. So from making a seed with all the same dna as the target specimen and then grown out a new individual.

2 Likes

It’s not quite that it’s the same age , the cells are new in the clone just like tissue culture it’s just a larger sample of the genetic material. Hormones build up in the roots and stalks that can act like a internal clock telling the plant how old it is. When you make a new clone with new roots the plant knows it’s just a baby again.

2 Likes

I was wondering if new growth have new age on the cells. I know that they are mature and don’t need to go through a full veg stage.

From a scientific view point new cells are constantly being created as part of the plant growing, those cells and what they do are programed by the plants dna, the dna does not change but the directions it gives can. There are so many things to take into consideration, humidity, average night and day time tempatures, soil and nutrient make up, elevation, type of light received , just to name a few.

Climate change is real and would effect outdoors, your yard is not the same place it was 10 - 20 years ago.
Light technology for indoors has changed alot and continues to , this will effect appearance alot also.
Have you moved even if not far it a whole new microclimate.
This plant is very adaptable to change and sensitive at times, it’s part of what has enabled it to take root in so many different places around the globe.
On a different subject if genetic drift does not occur then my dna should still be capable of growing hair on my head but I’m bald, maybe I’m not getting enough yellow and blue light lol
When you really wrap you head around dna (rna in plants) it’s a trip, where did it come from and why do we never find new dna, a dog will always be a dog , you can breed it to look different but it will never birth a entirely new species. This means everything has always been what it is in some form or another. Evolution should really be called genetic adaption , they can not show one example of dna becoming something else or forming from thin air, a fact that realy bothers biologists and non spiritual people who understand the complexity behind the chicken or the egg riddle, it applies to everything and cannot be answered.

4 Likes

How do you keep your mothers? I’m just gonna be keeping mine in the closet under 18 hours of light. Nothing fancy just something to stop it from flowering.

6 Likes

Same, they stay in my “Littles” tent (18/6)till I have a replacement then she goes into flower

3 Likes

I just started the same adventure. I built and 30×48 grow box 5 ft tall currently a 100 watt ac infinity ion board but I had 4 54 watt t5 before the led thinking I’m going to switch back to it a lot better coverage may use only 3 t5 tho. Mother are in 1 gal Fabrice feed jacks 321. I have no complaints all are healthy

2 Likes

I have a 2x4 tent with some old blurple lights I run 24/0 with. Mine have been getting too big so I’m trying to figure out the best way to keep them bonsai style. Here’s my mom tent in all it’s blurple glory😁

Pre 98 Bubba Kush

Triangle Kush, Trinity, Purple Punch, Bubblegum, GMO x Granny Skunk and Motorbreath 15

9 Likes

Just started a clone/mother tent. It’s a 2x2 (3ft tall) hlg 65 for lighting. Inkbird controller for temp hooked up to a small cheap amazon heater, inkbird controller for humidity hooked up to humidifier and exhaust fan (vivosun 195 cfm cheapie), and a s6 ac infinity fan. My mother’s are gonna be in here under 24/0 lighting

3 Likes

I have mine in a 2x4 with other vegging plants at 18/6 but some start to get pissed off and go into flower :rofl:

This has forced my hand in upping my cloning game :+1:

2 Likes

I went off purple light because I couldn’t spot herms and it cost me a lot of buds

1 Like

I wouldn’t use these for flowering but they do work fine for the vegging mom’s. It does make plant inspections a pain though as colors look really off. I’d like to get a decent T5 setup for the 2x4 but I’m holding off in hopes of setting up a new veg room and using my 4x4 tent that’s in storage right now.

1 Like