Making a beam test for CBD

HAS anyone made their own beam test using sodium hydroxide (lye) in a 5% KOH SOLUTION TO test?
I am a ittle nervous about ordering the lye.
Apparently it’s watched by big brother.
I can order 10% KOH pre mixed?
The beam test calls for 5%
Thsts about 5mgram
It comes in a 13 oz bottle…i don’t have to have that much
Is there another way to cconduct the test without using a METHAMPHETAMINE precursor?

2 Likes

Sodium hydroxide is monitored? It’s drain cleaner… look for it under that name and you may find it easier. I couldn’t get it at Walmart, but Homedepot had it. My preferred method of getting fairly pure sodium hydroxide.

In my case it was a precursor to explosives… so admittedly they may monitor it. But I just made rocket candy.

4 Likes

Labrat did and it worked well for him, you can’t get numbers but the strength of the purple colour showed how much CBD he had in the bud and it was surprising the difference between the plants of the same strain.

2 Likes

What’s LABRAT? is that solution?

1 Like

Sorry…it’s POTASSIUM HYDROXIDE

Lol sorry he is a member here, he lives in Canada, so I am not sure if it’s regulated the same as where you are.

He said, what he ordered would be a life time supply as he could only get 500grm at a time.

1 Like

I made my own too, worked quite well. No problem buying the ingredients, but I live in Europe. I bought a bottle that will last forever.

1 Like

I can’t speak to the product, but from a cursory look it checks out.

But, alas doesn’t solve your monitoring issue.

2 Likes

It’s not so much the Koh it’s the lye. It’s a methamphetamine ingredient and tends to be monitored.

2 Likes

You’ve lost me… KOH or caustic potash is historically known as lye; but if you are to buy it today it’s most likely NaOH or caustic soda.

I know these from some organic chemistry and soap making. I really don’t understand the problem here I guess. I have made lye from potash, I have bought NaOH cash in hand at the hardware store. It’s far too early in the day to feel like I’m crazy, lol.

1 Like

I’m just concerned about getting my name on a watch list. I can order the huge bottle off amazon, I thought there might be an alternative? Maybe I am Crazy.
I’m not sure where to buy locally but maybe I can find a soapmaking store

1 Like

When in doubt you can make it with hardwood ash and water. I don’t know if you have any available to you, but that’s definitely not monitored. I myself don’t like dealing with it because you are having to deal with the highly alkaline material so much. I prefer to mix in granular bits. I did fine potassium hydroxide hard to locate locally, which is why I made it. But in my case I could use either NaOH or KOH.

1 Like

I picked up some KOH from a local-ish soap supply store last and i use it for pH up adjustments and they grabbed my Drivers License number due to the aforementioned meth precursor usage but is very common in soap making.

6 Likes

My bad, I was using what is called lye around here if one goes to buy it. That being sodium hydroxide. Sorry for any confusion. Actual potassium hydroxide isnt available locally here and I had to order mine. I use it for my jwa for outdoors and also for pH up. A lb will last forever so that’s what I bought.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a bit annoying that “lye” is two different, albeit similar, chemicals.

1 Like

just buy it from an aquarium store - they repackage it and sell in smaller quantities for kalkwasser to boost calcium levels in reef aquariums (sometimes used in freshwater too if you’ve got a seriously fast growing planted tank)

1 Like

Just say you are making soap. Not a big deal unless are buying other precursors. But yes Beams test works well, done it many times.

2 Likes