Tcheck 2 THC tester - Hot or Not?

# tCheck 2 THC & CBD Potency Tester + Flower Testing Kit i thought these things were over $1,000USD. I just checked em out and i see they are only 400
am i about to buy one? are they tried and true? or is tthis a $400 toy ?

Iā€™ve never used one but they are also listed at $400 on their site!

I just wrote a message to them stating my credentials and asked them for a free one. :rofl:
Cant blame me for trying :sunglasses: If it works it will be a true hail Mary. My job always gets annoyed when random companies call to ask if iā€™m a real person.

4 Likes

Hahaha thats sick! Iā€™ve got a friend who does a lot of salmon conservation work and he got me a pretty sick fly rood and reel on the dirt cheap!

If a company gonna sell you something, make sure they stand behind it and believe in it. No easier way than to give them to folks on the job and let that word of mouth spread

1 Like

I was thinking about buying one also, if u get it let me know how it works out.

Been eyeing them for a bit too, not been able to fit it in the budget and Iā€™m not really in a rush too. Do want one though Iā€™ve always been curious to see my weeds numbers. Iā€™m no master grower but I feel like mines been consistently better than anything Iā€™ve bought from a dealer and as good or better than anything from a dispo or online vendor

$270 for ya guyz

1 Like

I went on a deep dive comparing this to the Purple Pro. Found out its not ā€œeffortlessā€ to use the Tcheck on bud, and that it requires a substance that will get used up. Youā€™ll also need to test moisture content of your bud separately and pretty accurately if you want to control for that in results. It took some digging, but they do have their instruction manual online, props to them for that at least.

So the Tcheck 2 gets a ā€˜noā€™ from me, because I would like to test fresh bud. Iā€™ll save up for Purple Pro, which I really can just pop in and get readings on bud with.

3 Likes

i donā€™t think iā€™d trust it. never heard of uv spectroscopy until now. i know all about gc/ms due to losing a urinalysis years ago and that was pretty subjective and not really as much of a science as an art when reading the results. same thing i found for this, but it looks even more subjective. i had about 30 hours of research on the gc/ms and only about 15 minutes on this, but it looks really hard to use. iā€™d be extremely wary of something giving lab quality results at that price, but have no idea what the market looks like. i do know i got screwed hard on an otdr that was about a quarter of what they normally cost.

It appears to not be nearly as accurate as that other machine.

In that link, it is 1 star rated, with 39 reviews, but I could not open and read them.
Iā€™m going to pass, AND give them the finger, for the half assed attempt to rip folks off.
But that is just my take on it.

2 Likes

I cant find a price on the Purpl pro

This is only thing I found besides ebay.

Purple Pro is about 1500-2500$ depending . It works amazing, I know a few people with them and Iā€™ve tried it myself many times, super accurate too

3 Likes

Spectroscopy is a common lab instrument and it measures concentration based on light absorbance by a substance dissolved in a liquid. It can be a really powerful tool, you can detect subtle changes in reagents that translate to large differences. The tech isnā€™t new, the application is.

Cannabinoids auto fluoresce under UV light so you could measure using a spectrophotometer. Im working with a friend who is an engineer to see how we can make these cheaply and make them more easily accessible for hobbyists and small growers. The issue is getting one sensitive enough at cost. My guess is the UV one isnā€™t great because the parts are not as high quality. For comparison, the spectrophotometer I use in my lab cost $25K and we got it cheap.

2 Likes

itā€™s not the instruments i find fault with, itā€™s the way they compare the results and use interpretation of the graphs presented to identify material. at least thatā€™s what got me busted on a urinalysis almost 20 years ago. i actually had the graphs and could show where the two differed, yet since i was not a lawyer nor a subject matter expert they discounted it. having said that, it is a tad cheap for a good instrument.

2 Likes

If this is ever an issue for anyone let me know. I do happen to be an expert with this type of analysis and will freely help.

2 Likes

I picked this up and I have to say I am impressed.

Negative reviews are right though. It is not user friendly. You will do some manual science and math as opposed to just dropping in some bud and getting a good reading. Geek stuff is fun though :man_shrugging:

Testing raw bud requires an ā€˜expansion kitā€™ that is really just overpriced test tubes and DMSO. You can get the solvent yourself and save big. Or you can decarb your bud and make a small alcohol infusion, then simply test that. I went for the latter.

So here came my big mistake. I prepped out 200mg of decarbed bud and put it in 10ml of ever clear, shook it up for 10 minutes and tested my bud. Calculated the result (3.6mg/ml) to around 18%ā€¦. Which is typical of zkittles. I felt like mine was better and I did not have a control though.

Fast forward a few hours, and my alcohol infusion was actually infused all the way so that when I re-tested, my result calculates out to more like 25% at 5mg/ml. I seem to have not allowed my sample to sit for long enough in the alcohol solution the first time. Repeated test 3 times for consistency.

Next I needed a control so I repeated the test with some dispensary herb, letting it infuse in the alcohol for a solid 45 minutes before testing, and I got some consistent results that were pretty close to the reported numbers on the label.

There is a margin of error and averages are very much your friend, but overall the tcheck gets a thumbs up from me. However you do have to be prepared to put in some amount of your own effort to make it do what you want. If you are cool with that then it is well worth it.

3 Likes

Very clear and helpful, thanks for weighing in! Thatā€™s exactly what I expected from my reading, except I didnā€™t realize it was just DMSO that was needed. Thatā€™s nice and simple.

Iā€™m still not keen on putting in effort, but thatā€™s just me.

@ThePotanist if thereā€™s anything other than money that might support your affordable instrument project, lmk!

1 Like