Mechanics corner

Roll up the windows and smoke pot in it for a month. Might be an issue getting pulled over, but maybe better than mouse shit.

4 Likes

Could be an 02 sensor, could be an air pump. The hoses could be fucked.
Alot of people delete the emission shit altogether.

3 Likes

Most likely Your oxygen sensor is not sensing a increase in oxygen present when the air intake is open and functioning triggering that code. Could be a combination valve sticking and not functioning correctly, and if so they can often be cleaned and made to work properly again.
If it is a bad oxygen sensor replacing it could result in better gas mileage as it is what helps the computer know how much air to mix with the fuel based on how much unburned oxygen is present in the exhaust.

3 Likes

We had a car that kept getting mice inside, called our insurance company looking for suggestions on places to take our vehicle to be sanitized/deep cleaned and they ended up classifying it as a write off due to being a biohazard, a tow truck showed up and took the car away and we got a cheque to purchase/put towards a new unit.

6 Likes

Thatā€™s a pretty sweet deal Iā€™ll give them a call to see if we have any options.

No nest in the fresh air inlet but maybe I missed one somewhere else. We thought itā€™d be done in days not months so some garbage was left in the car to attract them. Not sure my wife will agree hotboxing smells better than mouse but Iā€™ll have to give that a try :rofl:

Weā€™re trying to keep our older cars on the road as long as possible with prices how they are, plus I donā€™t like the tech in newer cars. But the Ford has a dual clutch transmission, itā€™s a flawed design pretty much guaranteed to go out again in a couple years. Was rebuilt 3 times and now weā€™re out of the extended warranty. Too bad, it drives pretty nice and has been reliable otherwise.

5 Likes

Read the thread, love the idea. Pretty sure I need assistance. We all love a good story so letā€™s light one up, kick back and see if we can find a place to start.

Back in '91 I fell in love with a maroon early 70s Chevy El Camino. Fast forward to '98 and for $1500 I bought a '77 Cami, kid happened 4 years later and the car went bye bye. Pretty well wrote off ever owning one again. Fast forward again to Fatherā€™s day last year(2021) and my son and I get the opportunity to buy a '72, so we jump on it. Well turns out it is part of an estate and the inheritor doesnā€™t want to deal with them. Yes, ā€œthemā€ not a typo. We get word from the owner that we can just HAVE them for the originally agreed upon price of $1500. So once everything is said and done my son and I are the proud owners of 2, 1970, and 1, 1972 El Caminos

This is about the best shot of all 3. None are running right now, my sonā€™s '70 (Phoenix) was running till he rebuilt the carburetor. Thatā€™s not what Iā€™m here for. My '72 was mid restoration the dash is gone clear to the firewall with the steering column resting on the seat that is not attached , with what appears to be unlabeled wires running everywhere. I know the very first thing I need is a battery, Iā€™m pretty good with a wrench, and have worked on older cars since I was a broke ass kid that couldnā€™t afford to pay anyone anything to do anything for me so I learned. Anyone with advice on how to proceed would be appreciated. Iā€™m pretty sure Iā€™m going to have to pull the engine and get it machined/ cleaned as the '72 (Frankie Two Tone) sat without her hood (or spark plugs in) for about a decade, in a field, behind a barn.

Thanks for taking the time, all advice will be considered, except selling any of them, not happening Iā€™ve already turned down offers and sheā€™s not even running. So anyone willing to coach along a barely shade tree qualified (but definitely pissing off my H.O.A.) mechanic wannabe, Iā€™m going to have a lot more questions, reach out, Iā€™ve never done a restoration, much less a work in progress. Thanks

5 Likes

A friend once told me how excited he was after buying an old Mercedesā€¦ when I was way deep in some salvia divinorum :rofl: and I turned, looked at him with the most disgust & disbelief & said ā€œWhyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?ā€ Like it was the most pointless thing anyone had ever done. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

And I walked off into a field to finish tripping or so I thought. Whoops.

:call_me_hand::evergreen_tree:

4 Likes

I would be tempted to buy a car from a salvage auction and or junk yard that was wrecked with low miles and swap everything over to one of those. Hellcat el Camino :smiling_imp:
Get real crazy and turn one into a midrange motor some how with a custom camper shell covering the motorā€¦

3 Likes

Started overheating again, so I picked up a thermostat

Iā€™ll be working on it tomorrow, wish me luck guys :grin: hopefully I donā€™t break anything in the process :joy:

7 Likes

Those Montanas suck to do the thermostat on. Have fun lol

4 Likes

I hate those 3.4 motors. :wrench:

1 Like

2005 Chevy Trailblazer

1 Like

I wish you luck. Take pictures as you go in case you forget how to put it back together. :crazy_face: :upside_down_face:
Also, make sure you got some of the dex cool anti freeze stuff to top it off.

2 Likes

Just looked. I was remembering the older style looks as you unit may be one piece.

Clean the mass air flow meter with the cleaner spray and check for vacuum leaks. The code is a emissions code. Big no no with these vehicles is to get gas with the cap off the tank and also over filling the tank can send this as well as other emissions codes. 0 2 sensors can be tested out of the vehicle with a torch and multi meter. Rodents chewing on wires can be a problem with these vehicles as well as the other poster was mentioning. I would inspect the wiring while I was in there. Redo any grounds as well with sand paper and clean battery terminals. Thatā€™s all I got.h326AA96E

4 Likes

The p0410 dtc refers to the secondary air injection. None to do with O2 snsr. This video gives an idea of the components/locations and possible failures. Leaving out wiring integrity as an issue.

3 Likes

ooops my bad I read it as P0140 derp.

4 Likes

Well O2 sensors are way down the list on the possible causes list, not on the probable cause list IMO. :money_mouth_face:

Take to autozone and they will pull the code and sell you a pump, a solenoid, a relay and a fuse! Then take it to a mechanic to fix a chaffed wire! Lol

3 Likes

Or even better a simple bad connection on a ground or in the case of my kubota a bad connection in the control box aka (fancy sealed switch box) that a simple aggressive tapping seems to have fixed for now :rofl: probably just needs to be hacked open and cleaned
I will attempt to fix all things first before buying a new part , sometimes it works but if not at least you get to see whatā€™s inside the thing. I popped the cover of a relay the other day to show a dude at work how it works and he looked at me like I was a nut case.

3 Likes

Thank you for the video but that is way beyond my capabilitiesā€¦I do have a mechanic buddy that can do the job but that PO410 doesnā€™t seem to affect my engines performanceā€¦

3 Likes