Truck repair issues

I’ve got a 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie with about 100,000 miles on it. Always been solid.

This Spring, a headlight burnt out. In order to change a headlight, it’s necessary to completely remove the grill of the truck. So, I took it to the dealership to have switched.

Since that event, I’ve experienced non-stop electrical issues with my truck. Failure codes. A $4000 electronic power steering module. Wheel sensors. Blown a/c compressor. I’ve dumped about $7k into it and it’s still screwed up. Maybe it’s coincidence, but I dunno…

I’ve kept my shit together with the dealership to date, but now they won’t return my calls.

I know that every repair they’ve done, I’ve signed an authorization saying I’m telling them to do the work and I won’t charge back the credit card payment. So from a strict legal perspective, I completely understand that I’m screwed.

Anybody have any experience or suggestions? Thx!

3 Likes

That really sucks but the steering and electrical issues are fairly common in those trucks from the sound of it.

3 Likes

Thx man. Had not seen that, doesn’t make me feel better but kinda explains shit.

1 Like

I’ve gotten rid of more than one vehicle due to electrical issues. Would rather replace a transmission than trace electrical wires. Time to start looking for a new vehicle.

5 Likes

No, the end result is still the same and that sucks. But hopefully it gives you some answers

3 Likes

Yea I ditched a 2019 F150 with electrical gremlins. I run from them.

3 Likes

Vehicles are only engineered to last so long, 100K is about where most cars start taking a dump and (at that mileage) also lose lots of value. I’d vote that its a natural course of events: Electronic components last 3-5 years on average and, the mechanical components are engineered for value – not for longevity; car manufacturers make most of their money on parts and repairs!

5 Likes

Appreciate everyone’s thoughts. I tend to agree that’s it’s just time, but the thought of buying a new truck now that I’m retired is not comfortable. :weary:

I knew the day would come, was just hoping not so soon.

3 Likes

Oof, terrible spot to be in OP. I sympathize , but have no real advice for the position that you’re in. Hope you can find a not too costly exit from that vehicle for sure. I’m currently in need of a vehicle for the winter season and been actively looking for something. I was considering some new options, but your story has me really thinking about something older and easy to work on. Best of luck man. I agreed with everyone’s take on it so far.

1 Like

I know, WTF? You literally have to remove the entire grill from this truck in order to change a headlight. That’s progress for sure.

Old man yelling at clouds ….

3 Likes

That is crazy to have to remove the grill. Dodge does have electrical issues. I’m trying to remember those head lights. If not mistaken the bulbs are hard to change also.

4 Likes

13 minute video with truck parts scattered across the yard …. To change a bulb. :laughing:

I’m sure it’s quite doable with a bit of learning and some effort.
I never have an issue taking shit apart. It’s the putting back together that trips me up sometimes.

4 Likes

It’s very Mercedes of them

4 Likes

I’m a retired paint and body man.
Vehicle repair is an issue.

1 Like

Clip tools are a must. Harbor freight has some cheap stuff

3 Likes

The tilt/trim relay was acting up on my boat motor this summer. I knew what the problem was, and it’s just a small box attached with 2 screws and a plug in electrical connection. Simple enough.

However, they buried that small box under about 6 levels of other stuff that needed to be removed/disconnected to access the relay. I guess it’s all par for the course these days.

1 Like

I think with outboards it’s more 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag.

2 Likes

This is making me feel very out of touch. 2019 was only last week for me, so despite it being 5 years old, my brain considers that still brand new. I tend to buy cars that are ten years old and run them into the ground for another ten years. I’ve never encountered anything like this.

4 Likes

Sorry you are having on going issues with your Ram 1500. Take a look at this TSB’s and recalls for the truck. Maybe there is some recourse for you.

3 Likes

That sucks I’m sorry friend hopefully u get it figured out soon

1 Like