Mechanics corner

I’m half looking for a used car here on Big Island & the more I think about it a 1970-something with a few upgrades & mods will be a hell of a lot better than any new car options.

My buddy with a shop told me car manufacturers stopped making as many spare parts when they restructured after the 2007 financial shit. Easier to get spares for pre-2010 than post. So that 40k Tacoma doesn’t seem like a great idea at all.

:evergreen_tree:

3 Likes

Finally got it. Man that back bolt was tough, took forever :joy:

9 Likes

Since Johnson/ Evinrude became something else, Yamaha is at the top of the list from 1995 or so when it comes to dependability and quality of construction. They are expensive here, but pretty much anything Japanese in Outboards are far superior to the Black quazi-American outboard products. Everyone has there goods and bads but for fisherman and sport boaters, Yamaha Outboards are #1. IMHO and I don’t own one.

7 Likes

What’s this light mean?

Oil level or oil pressure?
Not a car mechanic, but 40 yrs of heavy equip.
The wrench is not good!

2 Likes

I checked the oil and it’s fine, pressure is also normal…it goes on when I start the car then it goes off after 10 seconds.

1 Like

I would still get it checked out, the wrench symbol usually means " needs attention ", but like I said, I worked on the big stuff.
Could easily be something electro digical!

1 Like

I plan on it sometime next week…

1 Like

I just texted my mechanic and he said it’s taking a few seconds for oil pressure to come up or bad sender.

3 Likes

Looks like a routine maintenance icon, you don’t see that every so often when oil change is due etc? It’s programmable.

What year and model?

1 Like

Did you get the oil changed or did this pop up out of nowhere ? Is there a code? If it was a oil change recently, sometimes a smaller filter cheap crap starves the engine of oil. With it being cold that can make the oil thicker as well on the start up. You may not have the right oil in the car depending on the make model.I have seen a cheapo filter It can’t fill the filter as fast as the engine is pulling it empty.I would say the factory filter is always the best bet. Seen a cheap Auto Zone half sized filter throw a oil light on a vw 1.8 turbo this way.
94181dc89115f490db860bb730d763086729fdc0d9a50d7e98fcde32319566bd

the oil pump has a check valve that prevents oil from draining out of the pump and causing cavitation of the pump when you shut down the engine. it is possible the check valve is showing signs of wear and bleeding down the pump, causing the delay in pressure build up. how many miles on engine.

as mentioned before it is also possible sensor on its way out. quite common issue.

also it could be the pump itself. typically if the oil pump is starting to fail at pumping to proper pressure the light will flicker or start to come back on at idle after the oil gets hot and thins out. the way one checks this is to remove the oil pressure sensor and install a pressure gauge in its place and observe the pressure.

on most vehicle the sensor is located near the oil filter. the sensor is not expensive. some are easy to change others are not. google your vehicle’s oil pressure sensor location and if it is easy to get to replace it and go from there. will save you the cost of shop diagnosis.

1 Like

Oil change light… looks like some kinda chev. If you turn your key on and quickly press the gas pedal 3-5 times it will probably blink or ding and go away.

Edit… just read your other post saying it comes on for a few seconds on start up, then turns off. Its just computers doing computer things. Typically air bag, abs, and sometimes the engine light can do the same

3 Likes

I’ve done that before, it resets it…

1 Like

But it doesn’t change the oil for you :joy:

I heard of people using a drill to eliminate a check engine light(MIL) 🤦

:evergreen_tree: